How do you keep your phones charged?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How do you keep your phones charged?

Post by jrs1965 »

I turn everything off except what I need to try and communicate. Regardless, I don't go into the backcountry without a backup battery. The first cheap backup battery I bought was like a 2500mAh, it was mostly worthless. Although a bit heavier I now carry a 9000mAh backup battery. It'll charge my iphone 5S several times and I've even helped charge some flatlanders dead phones on summits...
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

I work for a promotional/marketing products company that basically gets supplied with endless types of mobile cell phone chargers (even some different solar charging designs). I take advantage of that to carry around some of the more beefy ones that can knock out a 2.1A charge, with about 3-5 full charges stored up. Just plug it in, walk the trail, battery life forever :). Especially good for the overnighters or the longer winter hauls.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

TallGrass wrote:+ 1 ^^^rijaca

+ Keep it in Airplane mode if you need it's clock, or turn it off and wear a :shock: :shock: :shock: watch.

+ Print out a paper map. "Screen size" can't be beat, can be used as tinder, and is recyclable. Waterproof with a freezer bag if needed.

+ Get a real camera.

+ Read up before hand to load up between the ears. Let's you interface with nature more than tech -- kind of the point of doing 14ers in the first place.

I tend to like your answers to these types of questions.

I am by trade, a measurer of things. Maybe thats part of the reason I turn my nose up at being completely outfitted in technology. I work with it everyday, this is my time not to do that. I bring a phone for photographs (no professional here, just memories) and an honest to God folding map. I read maps on my spare time so I enjoy this part. An altimeter might be fun but not necessary. Blue skies, pine scented air, and awesome views are what I am after.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Chase_Rowdy
14ers: 19  1  1 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chase_Rowdy »

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/X-DRAGON-10000mAh ... s=x+dragon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I usually don't use my phone in much when I'm hiking, but I do like to use it for pictures, music, the barometer and sometimes mapping. And of course its there for emergency situations. This will give you 2-3 more charges and works very well. It takes a long time to charge via solar, so I just use that feature to keep it topped off.

It also has a very bright LED light on the back that works very well.

Just make sure to charge it as well as your phone before you leave!
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

I had an Otterbox Resurgence charging case, but found it to be a little heavy for daily use and I did not like the idea of swapping between my daily case for trips or backcountry outings. I never used it actually and sold it.

In it's place though, I just ordered one of these, good for about one full charge and it is only $9.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-L ... le+charger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This makes more sense for me at least, as it is small, light and it is not often that I would need it. If I did need it, I would not need more than one full charge anyways, at least for what I do. I also employ other previously mentioned tactics (conservative use, airplane mode or hard off, disable or delete unnecessary apps, use GPS just as needed).
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Lot's of great answers, thanks.
Chase_Rowdy
14ers: 19  1  1 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chase_Rowdy »

I also forgot to mention that its very important to keep your phone warm. Cold weather deteriorates batteries so its important to keep your phone protected from the cold and wind and near your body. I usually put mine in my chest pocket under my outside layer. Even in summer it gets cold on summits and at night, so make sure to keep it close to your body heat!