Approach Shoes for Capitol Peak?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Approach Shoes for Capitol Peak?

Post by MyFeetHurt »

charro callado wrote:Image

sportiva mutant trail runners...no problem :-D
How are the Mutants regarding durability in rocky terrain? I'm debating between the Mutants and Ultra Raptors. The Mutant seems to have a good toe protection and fewer seems. Obviously its still a mesh shoe, but I would hope they would be better than something like the Wildcat.
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

MyFeetHurt wrote:

How are the Mutants regarding durability in rocky terrain? I'm debating between the Mutants and Ultra Raptors. The Mutant seems to have a good toe protection and fewer seems. Obviously its still a mesh shoe, but I would hope they would be better than something like the Wildcat.
Ahh! I just searched for this thread hoping that someone had said something about the durability of La Sportivas...and it turns out that was a question that was asked and not answered. Anybody?
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

I've worn LaSportiva Raptors (not Ultra - notGore Tex) almost exclusively the last two years hiking. They fit my feet better than anything I've worn - (I have a narrow foot). The grip is fantastic for scrambling. I've done capitol, pyramid, LIttle Bear and the Bells with them. I really like them.

But, the durability is quite poor. Ten mountains is about the limit for a pair. The lugs get all torn up and they lose their structure. The grip is heavily in the lugs.

I have the Boulder X also. Durability is better, grip is not as good, and fit isn't any where close.

FWIW
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

BKS wrote:
But, the durability is quite poor. Ten mountains is about the limit for a pair. The lugs get all torn up and they lose their structure. The grip is heavily in the lugs

FWIW
Rats. But I suspected as much. Sticky soles don't last, durable soles aren't sticky. I have a dream, that science will find a sole that sticks to rock AND lasts more than a couple weeks. A sole that can do Capitol more than once! I'll keep searching while the shoe companies figure it out.
bobalob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bobalob »

I prefer my Nordstrom Rack Nike running shoes. Light, cheap, fast. Not so great when you roll a rock over on your ankle bone but otherwise big thumbs up. But approach shoes can be good to take more "fun" ways up certain routes.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

sarahhaubert wrote:
MyFeetHurt wrote:

Ahh! I just searched for this thread hoping that someone had said something about the durability of La Sportivas...and it turns out that was a question that was asked and not answered. Anybody?
As far as durability is concerned, it completely depends on the model Sportiva, your usage, weight, running/hiking style, etc... I have run in/tested just about every trail running shoe La Sportiva makes and have found that the Mutant, Akasha and the Bushido have average to above average treadlife, especially given the amount of grip the sticky rubber gives. All great shoes, but I have found the Akasha to be particularly versatile, cushioned and comfortable, still with great grip/traction. I would highly recommend any of them for usage discussed in this thread and beyond.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

La Sportiva Mix! I have two pairs and have climbed dozens of peaks and countless flatirons in both. Their durability is nothing like a Boulder X or Scarpa Crux but insanely more comfortable than both. I have tried on every approach shoe I could find and the Mix blows everything away IMO. Sounds like a slight step up in durability from the La Sportiva trail runners.