popup campers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: popup campers

Post by mountainrev »

davebks wrote:that looks pretty sweet! I would love something like that but I think for now, for the sake of the kids and stuff the pop up makes a lot of sense. Also, I only have a 2000 4Runner so I might be limited in towing capacity.
Popups make more sense than what we currently have if you have kids. They are roomy and easy to tow. We enjoyed ours when our kids were little. Good luck in your search. Be aware that Colorado is one of the more expensive places to buy campers (new or used). They are hot commodities. If you're willing to drive to a different state, like Nebraska, you can save thousands in some cases.
mountainrev
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

davebks wrote:anyone seen one of these??
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-d ... mage=17020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are several popups out there that are similar to this. The biggest difference/advantage over a conventional popup is the additional clearance. Most of the other stuff (e.g., diamondplate) is cosmetic. Depending on the kind of axle the popup has, you can often lift a conventional popup by several inches by flipping the axle over, thus accomplishing most of what these "off-road" popups do for a fraction of the price.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

There are two types of popup campers:
1) Popup tow trailers
2) Popup slide in (pickup) campers

Tow trailers really limit where you can go in the high country
on FS roads but are great if you have a couple of kids.

Since our kids are long gone, the wife unit and I opted for a slide in
mounted on a 4X4 pickup - great on rough roads and super stealthy
for places like downtown Aspen or the Vail parking garage (which we
do regularly.)

It is our "Go-To" ski condo in the winter as well as our "Get-Away" cabin
in the summer.

Since the 1980's, we have owned two from "Four Wheel Campers."
They have hefty, welded aluminum frames designed to resist damage
from the "Rack and Roll" from 4wd roads.

Accessories: Forced air propane heaters are not reliable above 10k feet -
they all have a flapper switch to insure proper air flow. The thin air fails
to actuate the flapper. A much better solution is a catalytic propane heater -
some are guaranteed to work up to 12k feet. (We turn ours off when we go
to bed and snuggle like minks all night!)

Fresh Water - Forget about any built in tank or pump of any kind. In the winter,
they will freeze and break. We use a 5 gallon jug with a built in on/off spout. At night,
I store the jug with the spout on top - no water in the spout - no freeze problem.

Porta-potty - In the winter - absolutely no fresh water in the upper reservoir. The urine
may freeze in the lower reservoir but does not seem to cause a problem.

A large cooler keeps food from freezing in the winter and (with some ice) keeps food fresh
in the summer.

In the winter, buy beer in bulk. Somehow those tall boys standing side by side in a cardboard
case seem to reinforce each other and refuse to freeze. Remember - dehydration can kill !
cbrobin
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by cbrobin »

I have a Scamper that works great. I've had it for 17 years. The heater is nice.
More Colorado than the Natives.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

this looks pretty freaking sweet!
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-d ... mage=17020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Pop Ups are great.
We've had one for several years.
Need a new one now.

Can be easy to get into tight spaces (depending on size).

Keeps you off the ground, dry, and can stand up in them.
As well as carry a good amount of gear.

Easy to tow.

JQ
Yukon Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yukon Ron »

I had one several years ago, the capacity to sleep 8. Had all the needed items, and the furnace. It was nice. Multi season crash pad, for not a lot of money. It was great when we had small children. Now, we are back in in tents. We love the ability to back pack out, and be away, and we have a regular Black Pine that is super easy, and incredibly sturdy, to use put up an take down for car camping. When car camping, we bring the big nice stuff, Big Green Egg (Mini Max), generator, major bedding. It is very comfortable, and we seem to like it so much better than the pop up.
If you get a pop up, be sure you check any cables that are related to the pulley system when cranking up the roof. Ours broke second time out. We had set up some of the taller pieces inside, (fold down closet) which likely prevented serious injury. After getting it fixed, I cut some 2X4s and placed them next to the rails that held up the roof, and zip tied them in place, as a redundant safety step.
Nice thing about a dome tent falling on you, not a lot of weight, the pop ups, well that is a bit to worry about if you don't check on the cables.
Definitely get one with a furnace, make sure it is vented properly, and yu will have such a blast.
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

IMO/Expeience....
RV's, campers, motorhomes, 5th-wheel, and popups are all just like boats.... Awesome when you buy them and even better when you sell them. There's a very good reason you can find 100's of campers on Craigslist for killer cheap prices.
If youre stuck on getting a camper. #1. No matter how cheap the seller has it priced, offer him HALF! Never go to a dealer! #2. Repairs, maintenance and storage = expensive. #3. No matter what you paid for it, expect to get less than half that when you decide to sell.

My personal opinion, tent or van. Both are much cheaper than any form of camper.

I've never once in my life heard a single person say, "Dam, I made out great on that;insert; RV, camper, boat, 4wheeler, penny stock, hot tub, bradford exchange commemorative plate set, motorcycle, mail order bride" ect. ect. ect.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
mountainrev
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

winmag4582001 wrote:IMO/Expeience....
RV's, campers, motorhomes, 5th-wheel, and popups are all just like boats.... Awesome when you buy them and even better when you sell them. There's a very good reason you can find 100's of campers on Craigslist for killer cheap prices.
If youre stuck on getting a camper. #1. No matter how cheap the seller has it priced, offer him HALF! Never go to a dealer! #2. Repairs, maintenance and storage = expensive. #3. No matter what you paid for it, expect to get less than half that when you decide to sell.

My personal opinion, tent or van. Both are much cheaper than any form of camper.

I've never once in my life heard a single person say, "Dam, I made out great on that;insert; RV, camper, boat, 4wheeler, penny stock, hot tub, bradford exchange commemorative plate set, motorcycle, mail order bride" ect. ect. ect.
My 25 years of experience owning campers is very different from yours. Especially here in Colorado, campers of all types hold their value extremely well if they're maintained. I've owned a total of four campers in my life (three popups and one hard-sided RV), and have sold three. I've always been able to sell them within days of posting, and always got what I asked for them, which was usually just slightly less than I purchased them for (after using them for several years).

I'm not sure where you're finding "100's of campers on Craigslist for killer cheap prices," but I don't think it's in Colorado! In fact, the last two campers I've purchased have been from Midwestern states, since I became frustrated with either not finding anything here in CO that was remotely reasonably priced, or else finding something that looked promising that had just been listed, only to find that someone had already bought it (often the day it was first posted).
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Richard Derkase wrote:
geoffirons wrote:Hey Tall grass, I know what I own.
You only think you do.

Omniscient, Googlefu beast TG knows much more about it than you. Or anyone for that matter. Even Bill.

Dick
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but there appears to be some animosity between TallGrass and Richard Derkase.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

mountainrev wrote:

My 25 years of experience owning campers is very different from yours. Especially here in Colorado, campers of all types hold their value extremely well if they're maintained. I've owned a total of four campers in my life (three popups and one hard-sided RV), and have sold three. I've always been able to sell them within days of posting, and always got what I asked for them, which was usually just slightly less than I purchased them for (after using them for several years).

I'm not sure where you're finding "100's of campers on Craigslist for killer cheap prices," but I don't think it's in Colorado! In fact, the last two campers I've purchased have been from Midwestern states, since I became frustrated with either not finding anything here in CO that was remotely reasonably priced, or else finding something that looked promising that had just been listed, only to find that someone had already bought it (often the day it was first posted).
The OP was looking for opinions. I gave one. Hence the "IMO".
Between my home and work there are 3 RVs and 1 fifthwheel that have been for sale going on 3yrs now. My elderly neighbor has been trying to sell his desiel pusher and V10 gas RVs for a year now(His health has made him unable to drive). I worked on both of those PITA/POS's for him. Stop by any storage lot and look how many RV's, popups, ect are sitting 4" into the dirt. Drive between Longmont and Loveland and look at how many campers are sitting next to garages rotting.
You love campers. Good. People who love boating here in Colorado will never tell you the negitives.
I stand by my opinion. Buy and good tent or a used E250 van and convert it.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
mountainrev
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

winmag4582001 wrote:
mountainrev wrote:

The OP was looking for opinions. I gave one. Hence the "IMO".
Between my home and work there are 3 RVs and 1 fifthwheel that have been for sale going on 3yrs now. My elderly neighbor has been trying to sell his desiel pusher and V10 gas RVs for a year now(His health has made him unable to drive). I worked on both of those PITA/POS's for him. Stop by any storage lot and look how many RV's, popups, ect are sitting 4" into the dirt. Drive between Longmont and Loveland and look at how many campers are sitting next to garages rotting.
You love campers. Good. People who love boating here in Colorado will never tell you the negitives.
I stand by my opinion. Buy and good tent or a used E250 van and convert it.

I'm truly not trying to get into a pissing contest. It's all good. I stated that my experience has been different than yours, which is 100% true (and not just an opinion). With all three popups I've sold in Colorado (on Craigslist), I've been inundated with inquiries and offers immediately, with people driving to see them within days of posting. All sold in less than a week, and all sold at asking price. I didn't overcharge for any of them, but as stated, I asked nearly what I paid for them.

I overstated my case, I guess, when I said that "campers of all types hold their value extremely well" here in Colorado. By "campers" I didn't intend to include motorhomes. They are a totally different critter, and do lose their value quickly and tend to be difficult to unload. But popups, which is what the OP was asking about, hold their values and sell quickly. At least, that's been my experience with multiple purchases and sales over a couple of decades.

The OP is interested in a popup. I think it's a good investment, both in terms of enjoyment and family memories, as well as not losing money on them, at least if you buy wisely and maintain it.