Osprey Variant vs Mutant packs?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CraigB2013
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Osprey Variant vs Mutant packs?

Post by CraigB2013 »

Was at REI last weekend to check out the Osprey Variant and Mutant packs and they had neither. Also checked .com but didn't find a comparison of these packs. So sorry in advance for yet another backpack question.

1. Which one would you pick to be used for both summer and winter mountaineering/climbing and why?

2. I'm thinking the 37/38L size because I have a larger pack. Smaller/Larger?

3. Is either harness systems better for a tall person? Or large size pack should do the job?

Thanks for your help!
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Osprey Variant vs Mutant packs?

Post by SurfNTurf »

The "Large" size of the Variant is actually 40L, plenty big for the activities you mentioned. I have one and use it for ice climbing, winter hiking, spring couloirs and occasionally summer overnights. It's an absolutely stellar pack. I don't have experience with the Mutant, but a good friend uses one for all the roles I just listed and also seems to enjoy it. Not sure you can go wrong either way with Osprey. For what it's worth, the Variant series is by far the most popular in the climbing circles.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

I've got the Mutant - it's pretty bare bones, but has worked great for winter days and as a crag pack. It has one large internal space with a sleeve for a bladder, and a brain with two zip pockets. It's got ice tool attachments, but it's unconventional and uses bungee straps instead of cord/snaps - works fine though. Hip strap has gear loops for climbing or clipping a water bottle. It can easily take a rope, harness, a rack, a jacket and some snacks and water.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
CraigB2013
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CraigB2013 »

I saw a report that the Variant back pad was hot in the summer. Not much air flow. Any comments about that?
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I have an older variant, and can confirm the lack of airflow. That being said, the 52L carried 65+ lbs up Rainier, it's a beast.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
CraigB2013
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CraigB2013 »

So here it what I found out from the feedback and online research. Either pack would be a good choice for mountaineering or climbing or overnighters in the 37L-38L size. Both packs are setup to carry skis and ice tools including gear loops on the hip belt. The Mutant does have better air flow, than the Variant but I am concerned about the Mutant hip belt not as comfortable caring a full load. The Variant has gotten high praise from all the responses received and was mentioned to be a very popular pack in the climbing community. The Variant has a reinforced pocket for crampons etc.

So it always comes down to personal preference. For that you just have to pick one, try it out and make sure there is a good return policy.