Opinions on the Osprey Kestrel pack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
1quick1
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Opinions on the Osprey Kestrel pack

Post by 1quick1 »

I use the Kestrel 32 as my all purpose bag. Meaning it goes with me camping, hiking (day hikes), traveling as a carry on on planes, and I even use it daily as a gym bag. I would recommend the flip top versus the zip up style as it has more pockets and better use of the space although my zip up one works fine. A couple pics I just took below. It pretty much always has a change of clothes and a towel for the gym and my Mountain Hardware shell for all the random, unexpected rain storms.

http://imgur.com/uuk5q8D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://imgur.com/9TWOdI7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CraigB2013
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CraigB2013 »

The pack is great! I got to use it for multiple over night climbing trips and one two night trip. The larger size recommendation was right on. It was big enough to carry everything for camping but small enough to not get in the way while climbing.

I bought the crampon pouch and it fit perfectly in the front pocket of the pack. Plus when climbing I straped it on the bottom of the pack so I could quickly access the crampons. That helped speed up the transitions while climbing.

Thanks again for all your comments and recommendations!
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

I've had the 38 for 7 years and it works well hauling snowshoes and has enough room for about everything you need.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene