Opinions on the Osprey Kestrel pack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CraigB2013
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Opinions on the Osprey Kestrel pack

Post by CraigB2013 »

Looking for an all around pack that I can use for summer and winter mountaineering including ice climbing and camping on the approaches. I would like feedback from those who have or have used the pack. Thanks in advance!
ErikS
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Opinions on the Osprey Kestrel pack

Post by ErikS »

I have a Kestrel 46, and I love it. I'm not an ice climber, so I can't speak to things like equipment attachments beyond a basic ice axe, trekking poles, etc., but for general mountaineering, it's a great pack. I have 4 Osprey packs, and my Kestrel is my go-to for anything shorter than 3 days or so. I also use this pack for traveling.

If I have one complaint, it's that the hip belt isn't as padded as, say, my Aether 70, but I suppose that's to be expected with a smaller pack. I'm really splitting hairs with this complaint, as the hip belt isn't BAD, it just could be a little better IMO.

I'll also note that my pack has the older style suspension system, not the newer zero-gravity system or whatever it's called. I like the older style better.

Good luck!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

I've had the older Kestrel 48 for probably a good 5 years now. It's my go-to pack for pretty much any day adventure - summer or winter; mountaineering; cragging; technical alpine routes; ice climbing; ski mountaineering. I do not generally use it for overnight trips, but I probably could if I wanted to.

Here are some features/likes/dislikes:

-Suspension/hip belt is decent enough for what it's designed for. I honestly don't think it's meant for more than about 30-35lbs, and under that it carries pretty well
-Excellent, well-thought-out features for organization. I really like the long zip side pockets for carrying water bottles - much more secure than keeping it in mesh pockets, and it gives you a degree of separation in case of a leaky bottle from the rest of your stuff. Nice snack pockets, axe loops, buckled compression straps for carrying stuff like skis, etc. I also like the three separate compartments in the brain (two on top, one on the bottom as a mesh); this really lets you keep things like snacks vs. gloves/hats/vs ten essentials separate and organized.
-For high-angle/technical climbing, the pack's profile is low enough so that you don't bump your head up against the brain. Definitely an advantage over bigger multi-day packs, and a consideration for using it for a fast-and-light alpine route of a couple days.

Less ideal:
-durability issues: I've found the stays to be a failure point. This is almost certainly the result of exceeding the pack's load capacity (or repeated use near capacity). Of course it's Osprey and they'll fix anything for free, but still something to be aware of.
-I concur that the hip belt isn't amazingly comfortable - but again, not bad for what it's designed for
-Size: as anything that is supposed to be jack of all trades, there are some disadvantages to this (i.e. not really GREAT for any one purpose). For instance, it's pretty oversized to use a simple summer day pack, yet generally too small for multiday backpacking unless you pack really light. In my opinion, it really shines when it comes to single-day trips where you have to carry a lot of s**t.

All in all, I definitely recommend it.
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

I agree with Alexey's post. I've used the Kestrel for winter, spring and summer day trips since 2012 and it's a great bag. The number of smaller compartments make organization very simple. Snow climbing in spring seasons like now it is particularly useful as it holds all the necessary snow gear (shovel, probe, etc) as well as food and additional layers nicely. Too small to use for more than a single overnight though.

My only complaint is the hip belt. Not real comfortable, but a minor quibble for a great bag.
Garrett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 654
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Garrett »

I'm a fan of osprey packs and have had a few. That said I had the Kestrel 32 and never really liked it due to the wasted space and it just didn't seem to fit the stuff I pack very well. I ended up selling it pretty quickly. I do like the other kestrel sizes with the flip top style and would recommend them. Not sure what exactly you're looking at but the 32 is definitely too small and the 48 sounds like what you want for your purposes. If you're not set on Osprey the Mammut guide 45 is also a pretty nice pack for exactly what you're talking about.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

The Kestral Series is kind of a jack-of-all-trades pack. I don't think it excels at any one thing other than excelling at versatility. They used to make a 58 and even a 68 liter pack in that series, but quickly discontinued cause I think most Osprey customers prefer the Atmos, Aether and Xenith for heavy loaders. A 38 or 48L would be perfect for quick weekends and overnighters. I personally use the 28L for long summer days, and other various all-day activities.
CraigB2013
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CraigB2013 »

I have a large pack for backpacking and a small Camelback HAWG for quick summer day trips. I am looking for the middle ground. Something big enough for winter/spring gear and small to not get in the way while climbing or scrambling. Also big enough for the long summer approachs that may turn into an overnighter but light so it's not a given on the overnighter. I have tried out the variant 37 and liked the size but it sounds like the 48 is better.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

The other posters have pretty much covered the details so I don't have much to add, but in a few words: I love the Osprey Kestrel backpacks! I currently own the 28 (which is a great year round daypack), the 48 (which works well both as a daypack when you need to carry extra gear or as a overnight pack), and the 68 (which works well as a multi day mountaineering/backpacking pack).

I agree with the other posters that these packs are "jacks of all trades" without excelling at any one thing (this makes them very versatile for just about every activity though). I have been using my Kestrels for years and really appreciate the design, durability, and functionality they have provided me with.

From your original post I would recommend you get the 48 liter pack, I think it will serve you well for what you want to do.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mrburns »

AlexeyD pretty much summed it up. I have the older 48 as well. In addition to what everyone else said, it also makes a great travel pack, I took it to S America for two weeks as my only bag and it worked out well. For a pack it's size it compresses down pretty well when it is not full. I have carried it onto several planes and the two pockets in the top lid are handy when the pack is sitting between your legs on long bus and train rides.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Love my 38 liter. Use it for day hikes up to single night over nighters. (It's tight for an overnight, but I usually bivy so it's good size.)

I'll get another when this one finally croaks...but may be a bit because I keep replacing parts as they go bad.
CraigB2013
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CraigB2013 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I returned a Variant 37 (hard to return because I liked the ice tool attachment points and the crampon pocket) for the versatility of the Kestrel 48. Also took the advice to go the larger size since there isn't much weight difference.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

CraigB2013 wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback. I returned a Variant 37 (hard to return because I liked the ice tool attachment points and the crampon pocket) for the versatility of the Kestrel 48. Also took the advice to go the larger size since there isn't much weight difference.
Good decision. I think you'll find that the Kestrel meets most of your requirements. As far as carrying ice tools goes, the Kestrel has the same bungies for ice tools but uses a sewn webbing strap at the bottom to hold the head of the axe (upside down) instead of the "holster" on the Variant model but they pretty much accomplish the same thing.

Also for your crampons I recommend picking up one of these: http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ ... 0ALL1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it will keep you from having to strap them to your pack or worry about the points poking through a pocket, etc. They also help keep the grime on the bottoms of your crampons after a climb from rubbing off on the inside of your pack.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick