First 50K recomendation

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

First 50K recomendation

Post by LarryM »

Can someone recommend a good first time 50K for this year? I wasn't ready for the Dirty Thirty which would have been perfect. Devil Mountain Ultra looks interesting. Also Devil on the divide maybe? What's up with the devil theme?
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: First 50K recomendation

Post by thebeave7 »

What kind of terrain do you like? Do you like more hike up and run down terrain, do you want something flatter and more runnable? Rough rocky technical terrain, or smoother single track?

Not too many 50k in Colorado, a few that stand out as being popular are the Devil on the Divide (that you mention) and the Bear Chase (flat, fast, not terribly interesting in my opinion).

If you're willing to travel outside Colorado then there are a lot more options for great races.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

I'm doing Mt. Taylor 50k in New Mexico in October. A friend of mine has been trying to get me down for 5 years but I don't know a whole lot about it other than what's available online...
hatchmaster
14ers: 19 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by hatchmaster »

I am thinking about my first 50K this year.

Go here and click 50K:

https://ultrasignup.com/events/search.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am looking at the Indian Creek 50s as October works for my schedule.

http://humanpotentialrunning.com/races/ ... k-fifties/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
turbocat
14ers: 56 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (2)

Post by turbocat »

Big Horn Wild & Scenic is an absolutely awesome run.
http://www.bighorntrailrun.com/

It is only 2 weeks away though and most of these runs fill up 6 months prior since popularity is high and race numbers are usually low.
When the going gets weird...the weird turn Pro. HST
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Post by KansanClimber »

It's a shame you missed the North Fork 50k, it's a great introduction into the distance. I would concur with using ultrasignup, it's a good resource to see all the options. There are some pretty amazing races these days, but they tend to fill up early. Unless you're in great shape, I would stay away from any of the sky races for your first one...they look (and are) incredible, but they are quite difficult.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjim »

If you're looking for races with lots of vertical, Old Gabe 50k just north of Bozeman is on June 18 this year. Great course, great people, never fills early.

Also Speedgoat 50k still has lots of space. It's not one of the ISF world series races this year so isn't filling as quickly. The date has been changed to July 9 this year, a couple of weeks earlier than previously. This was my second 50k after the Jemez in Los Alamos when I kicked up my distance in 2008. I was always looking for races with a lot of climbing to slow the real runners down.

If you're not familiar with it, the ATRA calendar is a good place to look.

JimS
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

Thanks all for the advice. I'll check all of them out
thebeave7 wrote:What kind of terrain do you like? Do you like more hike up and run down terrain, do you want something flatter and more runnable? Rough rocky technical terrain, or smoother single track?

Not too many 50k in Colorado, a few that stand out as being popular are the Devil on the Divide (that you mention) and the Bear Chase (flat, fast, not terribly interesting in my opinion).

If you're willing to travel outside Colorado then there are a lot more options for great races.

Eric
More "hike up and run down" than flat. Also more single track than technical - I realize those two preferences are in some tension. The first is more important - I'm slow, but (relative to most people) less slow when there is a lot of vertical. Would prefer in Colorado but might consider adjacent states.

Because I'm slow I'd want a relatively forgiving cut off time.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

LarryM wrote:More "hike up and run down" than flat. Also more single track than technical - I realize those two preferences are in some tension. The first is more important - I'm slow, but (relative to most people) less slow when there is a lot of vertical. Would prefer in Colorado but might consider adjacent states.

Because I'm slow I'd want a relatively forgiving cut off time.
I think Indian Creek would work. The terrain is not very technical, reminded me of Mesa Trail, plenty of single track. I've heard some good things about Devil on the Divide and it seems like an interesting race put on by good people (e.g., free camping in Empire before).
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

RETEP 1 wrote:I'm doing Mt. Taylor 50k in New Mexico in October. A friend of mine has been trying to get me down for 5 years but I don't know a whole lot about it other than what's available online...
I did Mt. Taylor a few years ago and loved it. I normally don't like repeating races, but this one I would do again.

Silverton Alpine 50k is another one in Colorado. Though it's entirely on dirt road, it has some great scenery and is still pretty tough due to the elevation.