Ipad Air cases?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Ipad Air cases?

Post by davebks »

Have any of you bought a rugged or waterproof ipad case?
something like this?
https://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/ipad-air-2-cases" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you found a light, thin, but tough waterproof case?
thanks!
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Ipad Air cases?

Post by kaiman »

Here's a link to a MacWorld article with a good overview of some of the best rugged and waterproof cases for the iPad (sorry it's the UK website so the prices are in Euros but you should be able to find all of these in the US): http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ipad/ ... d-3633210/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't have any experience with any of these and prefer a leather case/stand for my iPad/iPhone, but many of my customers have the Otterbox cases for their devices and love them. As far as being "thin and light" goes that's kind of a contradiction in terms when it comes to rugged/waterproof cases (in order to make them durable and waterproof the case manufacturers have to add some weight/mass to them) so you may not find exactly what you are looking for.

Another option, albeit not as eloquent, that I use with my iPhone when taking it on cold days or winter excursions is to put it in a plastic bag and keep it in my inside chest pocket or in a pocket in my pack next to my spare gloves and hat or down jacket to ensure that it stays warm, dry, and somewhat cushioned.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Ipad Air cases?

Post by davebks »

Thanks for the summary. To be honest, I am mostly considering getting the harder case because I have two kids under two and I know they are going to use it, and drop it. Also, I have a jacuzzi tub, where I like to read, and instead of buying paperbacks anymore I can download the books.

Then also for whatever else.