Tires on a Jeep Liberty

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SharonH
14ers: 34 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tires on a Jeep Liberty

Post by SharonH »

I have had the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar tires on my 2007 Jeep Liberty for several years and they seem to work well.

"The Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar® is a premium light truck design that combines a smart balance of on-road handling and off-road traction. The long-wearing, specialized tread compound resists chipping and chunking during off-road adventures and is backed by a 60,000 mile warranty on P metric sizes and select LT sizes and a 50,000 mile warranty on LT sizes. Spirally wrapped Kevlar® cord combines strength with comfort. TRACTION
Stone ejectors and open shoulder blocks help clear debris for improved off-road traction
Siping and jagged tread blocks provide extra biting edges and grip in wet, wintry and off-road conditions
Traction ridges and open shoulder blocks help eject mud and snow for versatile off-road traction
HANDLING
Interlocking shoulder blocks improve stability and response when cornering and maneuvering
Multi-angle sipes lock together to help maintain stability and reduce wear under high cornering loads
TREADLIFE
Kevlar cord delivers rugged strength for off-road driving, and resists cuts and punctures for longer wear"
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Buckeye wrote:People love to bash the Jeep Liberty's [sic]. It's downright hilarious at times.
The Liberty has not been called a "Pole Smoker car" here on this forum for no reason. That is hilarious, I agree!
I'd think the standard off-road tire for most vehicles would be the BFG All Terrains.
I'm on my third set, and even with terrible rotation schedules (up to 20k before I remember), I've got over 55-65k miles on each set (same vehicle).
These are rugged and durable and offer great traction in all seasons. Maybe they're a little loud (I'm half deaf) or too expensive for some?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Matt wrote:I'd think the standard off-road tire for most vehicles would be the BFG All Terrains.
I'm on my third set, and even with terrible rotation schedules (up to 20k before I remember), I've got over 55-65k miles on each set (same vehicle).
These are rugged and durable and offer great traction in all seasons. Maybe they're a little loud (I'm half deaf) or too expensive for some?
Ditto what Matt said. They are great tires in all conditions. Wouldn't put anything else on my FJ. I'm at 50K on them now and I'm pretty sure I'll get another 10K before I need new ones.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Le Marmot »

Richard Derkase wrote:
Matt wrote:The Liberty has not been called a "Pole Smoker car" here on this forum for no reason.
Negative + negative = positive.

I hadn't heard the pole smoker car before but I guess it works. I just though they were Cheeps. Chick Jeeps that is. They need a little sunflower on the dash, like VW bugs. Verrry CUTE.

Dick
A couple weeks ago, I accused you of having absolutely no sense of humor. My apologies, I'm catching on now.

Now on topic, I had a set of BFG ATS that lasted close to 80k on an FJ Cruiser. A lot has to do with vehicle type (weight distribution etc.), I swear by them, and have them on my Tundra. The one tire I would not ever recommend would be the Cooper Discoverer AT3. Once the softer top compound wears off, they suck in any condition (IRMD).
Its got ELECTROLYTES!
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Le Marmot »

Richard Derkase wrote: Sometimes, less than obvious is way more fun. :mrgreen:

Apology accepted.

Dick
Agreed. Lesson of the interwebs: once you think you've mastered differentiating subtleness from obviousness, another lesson presents itself.
Wait a minute. Did you just call me a dick? J/K cheers!
Its got ELECTROLYTES!
C_Smith1003
14ers: 35  12 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by C_Smith1003 »

They are excellent in the snow...didn't even need 4x4 when we got 18 inches in Broomfield this past March
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Le Marmot »

C_Smith1003 wrote:They are excellent in the snow...didn't even need 4x4 when we got 18 inches in Broomfield this past March
I must have completely misunderstood the question. It doesn't surprise me but I suppose any vehicle would do better in snow with tires. :l
Its got ELECTROLYTES!