GoPro Resolution and Mount

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

GoPro Resolution and Mount

Post by rob runkle »

What resolution and width do you like to use for various applications?
Also, which mount do you like best for each application.

Hiking.
Scrambling (Class 3-4)
Vertical Rock Climbing

At this point, I have not completely dialed in, but I generally use 1080 for most situations. Mostly, just because I want to be able to watch it on my iphone if I need to, and higher resolutions cannot be watched dynamically on the phone. I have enough memory card for 1080, and probably higher if I wanted.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of wide, or superwide yet. But, most of my videos are in wide or superwide.

Probably the best mount is on the climbing helmet, but since I rarely use a helmet, I have to go with second best. I tried a head strap this weekend for a couple of things (Kayaking and rockclimbing), and it is now my current favorite go to mount. The only thing I hate about the head strap is that I like wearing a cap also, and a cap doesn't fit easily over the strap, and definitely not with bill forward. I tried a couple cap mount options, and they bounce around way too much. I tried selfie sticks for a while, but not a huge fan. I have a chest strap, but I haven't used it yet. I will probably try in in the next few weeks for some class 1, 2 hiking.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: GoPro Resolution and Mount

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

I love gopro hiking videos, esp the ones on Quandary. Riveting footage, always
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I can't believe how many of these videos are on Youtube. There are pages and pages of them just for Quandary. And the music is usually terrible.

alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

1080. I think I shoot wide and not super wide, but I don't recall.
Helmet mount always. If it's interesting enough to video, I should be and am wearing a helmet.
I do have a head strap and a chest strap that I haven't really used.
You could also look at the Peak Design mount that can go on your shoulder strap, assuming you will have a pack on.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Jon Frohlich wrote:I can't believe how many of these videos are on Youtube. There are pages and pages of them just for Quandary. And the music is usually terrible.

Only 30 minutes? I'll get right on that
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

This one started with a whole minute of riveting footage driving through Breck...then I tapped out
Somewhat of a Prick wrote:
Jon Frohlich wrote:I can't believe how many of these videos are on Youtube. There are pages and pages of them just for Quandary. And the music is usually terrible.

Only 30 minutes? I'll get right on that
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

#winteriscoming
Krullin_14ers
14ers: 51  6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Krullin_14ers »

Head mount is fantastic for climbing/scrambling. It gives the viewer a great perspective, exactly what you want them to see. The head mount gives you full visual of hand and foot movement if angled correctly. It also gives a great view of the surroundings.

Chest mount is key for skiing, but only if you know how to use your poles correctly. The chesty gives a more "real" POV than the head mount. A chest mount when skiing allows the viewer to catch a glimpse of the surroundings as well as the persons skis. It also seems more intense and raw than the head mount. I've seen so so so so much terrible head mounted, absolutely garbage skiing footage. I think everyone should switch over to the chesty.

Film in 1080x60. FPS is everything, especially if you want to slow it down/speed it up/stabilize it.

](*,)
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

I used a strap head mount the other day for some vertical rock, and kept whacking the camera on the rock when I looked down at my foot placement. Argh. Might not have been as bad if I was using a helmet instead.

I bought this for hiking. Much cheaper than the Peak Design, but the concept is the same.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJ ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will be trying it out next week on my Quandary, Bierstadt, G&T trips, with my 9 you daughter. I will make sure to not upload them to youtube.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Krullin_14ers wrote: Chest mount is key for skiing, but only if you know how to use your poles correctly. The chesty gives a more "real" POV than the head mount. A chest mount when skiing allows the viewer to catch a glimpse of the surroundings as well as the persons skis. It also seems more intense and raw than the head mount. I've seen so so so so much terrible head mounted, absolutely garbage skiing footage. I think everyone should switch over to the chesty.
I used to use a chesty skiing, but then switched to helmet. Of course my pole usage may not be that great. All I saw in my footage was my whippet sometimes. Plus with all the stuff I have strapped around my self (beacon, camera, etc), getting the chesty to not be tilted weirdly or have a camera strap in the frame got annoying. But guys should have less trouble too...
rob runkle wrote: I will be trying it out next week on my Quandary, Bierstadt, G&T trips, with my 9 yro daughter. I will make sure to not upload them to youtube.
It will be nice to have the footage later in life for her. But yeah, the world probably doesn't need to see home movies :wink:
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina