Sleeping Bag Opinion

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Sleeping Bag Opinion

Post by davebks »

check out western mountaineering bags at Neptune. I LOVE mine.
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

Marmot96 wrote:Sorry to revive this thread, but I've been looking for deals and used bags (ended up looking at one used, it definitely wasn't well cared for).

Then I stumbled upon this bag, which seems too good to be true. Anyone have experience with this bag? The reviews across multiple sites look alright.

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-never ... Q3MTExMDA2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also have a Marmot Never Summer bag and like it. It's been warm enough for me for autumn camping and for Kili. Too warm for summer, but I have another bag (actually 2 different bags) for that.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

davebks wrote:check out western mountaineering bags at Neptune. I LOVE mine.
Pretty sure Western Mountaineering won't even be in the ballpark of the OP's requirements: "I am trying to buy a winter bag, and it needs to be under $300"

That said - they're nice bags.
TheRealRooster
14ers: 6  2 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TheRealRooster »

I also have a Marmot Never Summer. Nice bag, should be a huge upgrade over your current bag in terms of warmth and packability. Actually ended up being too warm actually for most of my use, but I haven't done much winter mountaineering...
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

+1 on the tip to have better ground pads. In the winter I use a combination of a foam pad + an air pad. They both have orthogonal weaknesses so the duo performs quite well. I also have love my home-made Tyvek Bivy bag for an added +10 degrees warmth. It isn't the most comfortable for long expeditions, but is adequate shelter for an overnight 1-person trip and saves a bunch of weight. Some carpet tape and a section of Tyvek is very inexpensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UHoJwLiWs
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

spiderman wrote:+1 on the tip to have better ground pads. In the winter I use a combination of a foam pad + an air pad. They both have orthogonal weaknesses so the duo performs quite well. I also have love my home-made Tyvek Bivy bag for an added +10 degrees warmth. It isn't the most comfortable for long expeditions, but is adequate shelter for an overnight 1-person trip and saves a bunch of weight. Some carpet tape and a section of Tyvek is very inexpensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UHoJwLiWs
I do use two ground pads in the winter, REI Flash (air pad) and a foam pad and I already use a Bivy with my tarp in cold weather.

So it looks like a bunch of people have given me the thumbs up on the Marmot bag. I will be going with that I think!