Sleeping Bag Opinion

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Sleeping Bag Opinion

Post by Marmot96 »

I am a college student on a budget, so price is more important than weight at the moment. I currently use a REI Lumen 25 (synthetic) bag for all of my trips - but I am done with spending nights shivering in the winter, even after being bundled up in all of my clothing.

I am trying to buy a winter bag, and it needs to be under $300 and of respectable quality. My three choices right now are:

Mountain Hardwear Bozeman Torch 0 - $150

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/bozeman ... gh&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Blaze -15 - $279

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/lamina- ... nColor=709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mountain Hardwear Lamina Bonfire -30 - $300

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/lamina- ... nColor=011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, I am open to other options in the price range, but most/all down bags are way out of my budget. I want to purchase one bag only, that will work for extended trips in CO, Alaska and Washington. Advice?
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Sleeping Bag Opinion

Post by benlen »

My advice is, before you rush out and buy a bag based on price and temperature rating, consider what you want to use the bag for. Is it primarily for cold car camping, or do you imagine using a bag for backpacking where weight and size are hugely important?

In Colorado, with our good weather, a down bag is almost always my choice. If you're going up to Alaska or the PNW, then that can change a bit because of the rainy weather you'll get up there.

Equally important are two things: check reviews to see if others think the bag holds up comfortably at the cold winter temps you'll be conceivably using it at, and also consider what type of sleeping pad you own. Your sleeping pad is equally as important as the bag to insuring a comfortable night's sleep in four seasons.

And also consider shopping for a used bag––for the same price, you may find a bag that originally cost twice as much as your budget, but, even used, is of a higher quality than a newer bag under $300.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

You make a good point about used bags - I will have to consider that. I am looking for a backpacking bag, and for me, I will happily carry an extra two pounds for my synthetic sleeping bag so I can save hundreds of dollars.

My gear set up is already very light and I have the extra space in my pack for a slightly bulkier synthetic bag, so I will opt to save money at the expense of size and 2-3 pounds.

Basically, I am just looking for suggestions on the three bags I listed or other bags that could be a nicer fit.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

The concern with synthetic is more about packed size than weight. They're absolutely huge.

IMO look for a used down bag, in the 0 to -20 range depending on what exactly you're planning on doing with it. If "extended trips to AK" means Denali, then go with a -20. If mostly 1-2 nights in CO or WA, something closer to 0 would be better. If it's really cold you can wear all your warm layers and drape your parka over you like a blanket. You say price is your main concern, which should immediately disqualify anything new from consideration.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
ErikS
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ErikS »

I don't have a suggestion on which bag to get, but you mentioned "shivering in the winter, even after being bundled up in all of my clothing." Let the sleeping bag do its job in keeping you warm... sleep in your underwear or base layer. Clothing actually reduces the bag's ability to keep you warm. It's also a good idea to pack extra clothing into the foot of the bag to insulate your feet a bit better. Finally, if you ever find yourself desperately cold, you can heat up some water, put it in a nalgene, and throw that into the foot of your bag for hours of warmth. Perhaps with one or more of these methods you can avoid buying a new bag altogether??? Hope that helps.

Erik
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

ErikS wrote:Let the sleeping bag do its job in keeping you warm... sleep in your underwear or base layer. Clothing actually reduces the bag's ability to keep you warm.
This is an old wives tale and is patently false.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
ErikS
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ErikS »

Bean wrote:
ErikS wrote:Let the sleeping bag do its job in keeping you warm... sleep in your underwear or base layer. Clothing actually reduces the bag's ability to keep you warm.
This is an old wives tale and is patently false.
I disagree. I've had much better experiences with my bag when not sleeping in lots of clothes. Perhaps my experience is unique, but it DEFINITELY works well for me.
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

I agree with Bean. Many a time I have slept in a down jacket to increase my bag's warmth. I love used. Used anything gear wise. I bought a zero degree MW bag from a guy who used it once for $300. It was originally $600. I washed it and have used it 5 times in 3 years. Colorado is the used outdoor capital of the U.S. (Yeah I am talking to you Seattle.) Get to know the joys of craigslist.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I want to purchase one bag only, that will work for extended trips in CO, Alaska and Washington. Advice?
Spend the money on a good lightweight down bag. It will cost more initially, but chances are that if you are going to those places, you will eventually tire of a bulky synthetic bag and want to replace it anyway, which will cost you in the long run.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
njbrain
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by njbrain »

I second the motion to find used gear. Craigslist and ebay can have some really good deals. If you are shivering in a 25 degree bag, don't bother with a 15. go for 0 or lower.
geoffirons
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by geoffirons »

You didn't mention your pad. Benlen is right about their importance. The EN ratings on bags are determined testing them on a pad with an R-value of 4. Many (most?) people don't use a pad that good. If your pad has a lower R-value, then the bag will not be as warm as the temp rating indicates. Maybe you can get by with your current bag, if you get a better pad and a warm liner. Save your money for a good down bag (down will last your lifetime if you take care of it; synthetic fill breaks down over time). And Bean is correct about wearing extra clothes if cold in your bag. Eating a high calorie snack and doing crunches will also help.
Geoff Irons
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

Scott P wrote:Spend the money on a good lightweight down bag. It will cost more initially, but chances are that if you are going to those places, you will eventually tire of a bulky synthetic bag and want to replace it anyway, which will cost you in the long run.
Sage advice.

I have been nothing but satisfied for close to ten years with this: Helium

Good luck
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund