Sleeping Bag Opinion

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
the toninator
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sleeping Bag Opinion

Post by the toninator »

susanjoypaul wrote:
ezabielski wrote: I have no idea how this myth stays alive.
Probably like this:

Girl in the tent: "I'm cold!"
Guy in the tent: "Take off all your clothes and you'll be warmer. It's a proven fact!"
truth!
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

SkaredShtles wrote:
oldschool wrote:<snip> Your body needs to heat the sleeping bag insulation.

So you're telling me if I'm in my sleeping bag in long underwear, fleece pants & shirt, and I get cold... I should take my clothes off?

You're going to need to provide citations for this one.
No....you should get a better sleeping bag!
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

I'd take look at down quilts as well. If you have a decent pad you don't need compressed insulation below you. I've been using a Katabatic down quilt for a few years and love it. It has the tapered mummy shape, but is really wide and doesn't have a zipper. Mine only has a 30 deg rating, but I've slept in it down to probably 20 deg without any issues or wearing a puffy, etc. I found cheaper brands out there, but IMO a sleeping bag is something that is an investment you'll use for years (unlike a tent or pack that may get torn after a few seasons of hard use).
twhalm
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (2)

Post by twhalm »

The clothes/no clothes debate can be solved pretty easily just by looking logically at the thermodynamics / heat transfer of the situation. Lets look at a general situation:

- In most normal situations your body is going to produce plenty of heat

- Your body is only going to lose heat through conduction and radiation through your bag and layers and your head will lose plenty through conduction, radiation and convection(!!!) if it is not insulated properly.

- A better bag or more layers = less conduction = less heat transfer

Now there are some exceptions:

-if you get in with wet layers you are going to be in a world of hurt because water is a good heat conductor
-if you get in with very cold layers, your body is going to have to heat those up before you can get warm - this is probably a factor in the myth
-you wear so many layers you compress your insulation
-you wear so many layers you inhibit circulation
-you wear too many layers/overheat and sweat a bunch, soaking your layers
-if you get in with less layers you will heat up your bag much faster and it may feel warmer initially, but when you reach an equilibrium you will be losing more heat
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

oldschool wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:
oldschool wrote:<snip> Your body needs to heat the sleeping bag insulation.

So you're telling me if I'm in my sleeping bag in long underwear, fleece pants & shirt, and I get cold... I should take my clothes off?

You're going to need to provide citations for this one.
No....you should get a better sleeping bag!

This seems to contradict your earlier statement. If you need to heat the sleeping bag insulation... wouldn't it be quickest if you're naked? So if I'm cold in my sleeping bag... I should take my clothes off?
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

susanjoypaul wrote:
ezabielski wrote: I have no idea how this myth stays alive.
Probably like this:

Girl in the tent: "I'm cold!"
Guy in the tent: "Take off all your clothes and you'll be warmer. It's a proven fact!"
Here's my theory on how this myth stays alive: in a true survival situation where a victim needs their core temperature raised, two people can share a sleeping bag, in their underwear.

As others have mentioned, there are only a few reasons more clothing would be a problem. Back to the question SkaredShtles posed: if you were sleeping outdoors and felt cold in the middle of the night, would you take clothing OFF? Of course not.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

Since you seem to be looking at Mountain Hardware, I recommend the Ratio 15. It is what I use, and it has been very warm and maintained it's loft everywhere except in the toe-box, even when the outside layer is pretty wet, but the toe-box is my fault since I always slide to the bottom of the bag. If you are going to spend that much money, go with down insulation because it's super compactable: Mine weighs in at 2 lb 10 oz. If you get cold, I recommend using a liner for inside the bag. It also prevents the inside from getting as dirty if you didn't use one.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

Before the thread turned into a debate on what to wear in your bag, it seems the consensus is to buy a used down bag.

I have looked a bit on craigslist and ebay and didn't see too much of anything in a reasonable price range. Are there other places that I should look?

However, I did see this: https://cosprings.craigslist.org/spo/5653278276.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not too familiar with the brand though.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

Marmot96 wrote:Before the thread turned into a debate on what to wear in your bag, it seems the consensus is to buy a used down bag.

I have looked a bit on craigslist and ebay and didn't see too much of anything in a reasonable price range. Are there other places that I should look?

However, I did see this: https://cosprings.craigslist.org/spo/5653278276.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eastern mountain sports is basically REI... but of the east. I can't find much info on the bag. Potentially, the bag looks nice, but to compare, go to an outdoor store and feel the loft of a new bag, then go over to see if the used bag is in acceptable condition. This is just a thought, but it might help to gain perspective of new down if you have never used it.
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

Marmot96 wrote:Before the thread turned into a debate on what to wear in your bag, it seems the consensus is to buy a used down bag.

I would say a sleeping bag is one of those things that you really want to buy from someone with a generous return policy so that if the bag is too cold or doesn't work out for you you're not stuck trying to resell it online... I've had zero problems swapping sleeping bags at REI, but if you buy used you won't be able to return it. A $200 new bag will be 1-2 pounds heavier than a $400 used bag, but that's the only real difference in price.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

Sorry to revive this thread, but I've been looking for deals and used bags (ended up looking at one used, it definitely wasn't well cared for).

Then I stumbled upon this bag, which seems too good to be true. Anyone have experience with this bag? The reviews across multiple sites look alright.

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-never ... Q3MTExMDA2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Marmot96 wrote:Sorry to revive this thread, but I've been looking for deals and used bags (ended up looking at one used, it definitely wasn't well cared for).

Then I stumbled upon this bag, which seems too good to be true. Anyone have experience with this bag? The reviews across multiple sites look alright.

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-never ... Q3MTExMDA2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have the Marmot Never Summer and like it a lot. It's 650 FP down, so it's not as light or pack down as small as 800 or 850 FP, but for the price? It's great.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign