Houdini or Helium II?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Houdini or Helium II?

Post by AyeYo »

So with as dry as the weather typically is in Colorado, I've gotten away in all four seasons with a Patagonia Nano-Air hoodie - which also happens to be the most versatile piece of equipment I've ever owned. The things that jacket doesn't do are protect against wind or more than a light mist. I already have a hard shell, non-breathable, forever waterproof rain jacket. I like this idea in a rain jacket, because I don't need to deal with coatings that wear off or a non-waterproof jacket is only waterproof for XX minutes up to XX amount of rain. A true waterproof rain jacket was necessary back in the Northeast where it could rain hard for days on end. The rain threat in CO seems to be limited to passing storms, so I don't know how useful this jacket is, since it's too hot to use as a wind jacket - plus it fits a bit too small, so I'd like to buy something else.

So should I...

1. Get another non-breathable rain jacket that fits better for use only in downpours - which leaves me with no real wind jacket.

2. Get a wind jacket like the Houdini that has very minimal rain resistance (will probably still need to take up spacing carrying my current rain shell).

3. Get a wind/rain jacket like the Helium that can hold up to actual rain for awhile, but probably isn't much more breathable than my current jacket, so not sure how much wind block usage it'll see.

4. Something else.

REI has select colors of the Houdini on sale for only like $63, so I'm leaning towards that. Backcountry has select Helium colors on sale for $111, which also isn't too bad. Don't say get both, because that's too simple of an answer (and what I'll probably end up doing).
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Houdini or Helium II?

Post by LetsGoMets »

The mighty ROM jacket.

https://marmot.com/products/details/rom-jacket-new" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will work wonders.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I've got the previous version of the OR Helium jacket, the Hybrid, and I have found it to be very well made and super versatile. The Helium II looks fantastic as well since it's completely waterproof and still crazy light. So my vote's for the OR.
Where ever you are... There you are.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

The answer will depend on exactly how you're going to use this new jacket.

Is it going to stay in your pack most of the time, and only come out when it rains? (Get the OR Helium)

Are you going to wear this jacket often, either by itself or in combination with your Nano-Air to block the wind and provide a bit of warm? (Get the Houdini)

I have both a rain jacket (OR Helium II) and a wind shirt (OR Whirlwind). I bought the Helium a year ago, and only worn it once. I bought the Whirlwind earlier this year, and have already worn it many times. The Helium is lightweight and thin, it blocks wind really well, but doesn't breath as well as the Whirlwind. The Whirlwind blocks about 90% of the wind (my guesstimate), but since I heat up and sweat a lot, it is perfect for me when I'm hiking or climbing. In summer time I pretty much will have a windshirt in my pack whenever I'm going into the mountains no matter the forecast. The rain jacket I will leave behind when the weather forecast is looking pretty good.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

polar wrote:The answer will depend on exactly how you're going to use this new jacket.

Is it going to stay in your pack most of the time, and only come out when it rains? (Get the OR Helium)

Are you going to wear this jacket often, either by itself or in combination with your Nano-Air to block the wind and provide a bit of warm? (Get the Houdini)

I have both a rain jacket (OR Helium II) and a wind shirt (OR Whirlwind). I bought the Helium a year ago, and only worn it once. I bought the Whirlwind earlier this year, and have already worn it many times. The Helium is lightweight and thin, it blocks wind really well, but doesn't breath as well as the Whirlwind. The Whirlwind blocks about 90% of the wind (my guesstimate), but since I heat up and sweat a lot, it is perfect for me when I'm hiking or climbing. In summer time I pretty much will have a windshirt in my pack whenever I'm going into the mountains no matter the forecast. The rain jacket I will leave behind when the weather forecast is looking pretty good.

It's exactly that mentality that's making me feel like I should grab both. I feel like it do need an actual rain jacket, even out here. But in reality, last weekend during a Decalibron attempt is the first time I've actually taken that jacket out of my pack in a year in CO. I think I wore it for a total of a half hour. However, I am a fair weather hiker. I have no interest in going out in potential rain - so my use of the jacket might be artificially low. But I'm going to be attempting a CO Trail through hike next summer, so I feel like a real rain jacket might get more use there. Then on the flip side, if I buy the Helium or an even more waterproof (and subsequently even less breathable) rain jacket, I feel like I'm missing out on having a real wind jacket for the summer months. This is how these damn outdoors companies keep me spending my money.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Another option is to get the wind shirt and a cheap poncho for the rain. I don't use a poncho, but apparently you can get one for around $10. See this other thread:
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Patagonia Alpine Houdini is a decent compromise between wind and rain shells, only 6.6 oz too.

Rab also makes several stretchy and soft wind/rain shells with good breathability. Their Myriad jacket is very soft, light(ish; 14 oz), and comfy and being made out of Neoshell is probably as breathable as the Houdini but completely waterproof. It ain't cheap, however, but good compromises never are.
Make wilderness less accessible.
CSchoick
14ers: 9 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CSchoick »

I agree with Polar, it depends on your intended usage. I have the helium II and its a nice jacket for rain and packs down to nothing. For warmth or windblocking I never use it. It doesn't breathe well, and a softer windshirt/jacket just fits better. I don't mind having it along as a second coat though due to how nicely it packs.
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

That's a serious jacket for serious money. I think part of my issue is that I really don't buy into waterproof/breathable. Every w/b jacket I've ever owned has been neither waterproof nor breathable. Even my Gortex trail runners don't breathe worth a damn and leave my feet soaked with sweat about a 100x more often that they every prevent them from getting soaked by water. That's why I originally went with a real, non-breathable rain jacket, because at least it's waterproof.

I ordered the Houdini and I'll guess see how it works out. $68 shipped was too good to pass up. It appears to pack so small that I'll just be able to continue also packing my poor fitting, but also not often used rain jacket. Maybe before heading out next year I'll try to grab the Helium on a good sale or something and use it to replace the rain jacket..
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

4oz wind shirts are awesome and all you need unless you intentionally go out in to the rain. Both times I went to AK my wind shirt was on 24/7.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
roguejackalope
14ers: 39  6 
13ers: 25 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by roguejackalope »

Take a look at the UD Ultra jacket. 80% more cost and weight, but more protection and it's amazing. I don't think it replaces a jacket like the Houdini, but it complements it for situations where you need something more weatherproof.

Full disclosure: I have two Houdinis and an UD Ultra and I use all three routinely.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin