Review: Platypus Hoser 2L (70oz)

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Preferred method of carrying water? "Purifying"?

Hydration reservoir/bladder with hose
33%
Nalgene bottle(s)
11%
Bags/pouches
4%
Sports drink bottles (Gator/Power ade)
4%
A mix of types (res', bags, bottles)
11%
Other container (comment below)
No votes
Pump filter
4%
Squeeze filter
9%
Chemical (ClO2 tabs, iodine, AquaMira)
9%
UV (Steripen)
9%
No treatment
4%
Other method (comment below)
2%

Total votes: 46
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Review: Platypus Hoser 2L (70oz)

Post by TallGrass »

Plenty of ways to personally tailor one's purification and hydration system. Just picked up a Platypus Hoser 2L (70oz) and though I'd share some specs and comparisons.

Background (skipable): I use a Sawyer Squeeze bought before Mini released. Both pouches have worn out and replaced last with a 1L Platypus bag in middle of last trip (couldn't find Sawyer ones). Threads are almost a match, but could get it to work with minimal leakage and finesse. Use a few Powerade bottles to carry water as their light, recycle-able, and squarer than Gatorade so stay in packs bottle pockets better. Squirting a Sawyer is a two-hand deal, hence self-standing bottles over bladders, and one usually has drink mix. Freebie 1.5L hydration bladder was ok, but threads stripped after a couple uses and leaked (luckily just) water into my pack. Plumbers tape wouldn't fix, so might glue or weld/melt later. Still, sip-on-the-go was nice option than just stop-remove-pack-bottle.
PlatypusHoserPrior.JPG
PlatypusHoserPrior.JPG (16.3 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Wanted to see how 2L or 3L would fit my Flash 18 and Flash 22 daypacks (*2014 or so models), smaller compartment than my 65L pack. The 2L fits both nicely, and such that the weight isn't all on the top clip. The clip hole in the Hoser is thicker and reinforced, less prone to tear or deform than simple welded seams.
PlatypusHoser1.JPG
PlatypusHoser1.JPG (96.36 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Specs 8)
Hoser 2L/70oz vs. 3L/100oz
Height: 410mm vs. 452mm
Width: 178-158 vs. 191-175 (wider at top)

Weight Comparisons
Old leaky 1.5L hydration bag: 153g
Hoser 2L/70oz: 107g, 3.75oz, 0.232lb (54g per liter, nearly same as Powerade bottle but with hose)
Nalgene 32oz bottle: 179g wide mouth
Nalgene 32oz UL Bottle: 108g "Ultra-Light" wide mouth
Powerade 32oz bottle w/ cap: 49g (measured, may have had residual water)
Platypus 1L bag w/ cap: 26g (measured, may have had residual water)
Sawyer 32oz bag w/ cap: 24g (3-pack listed as "2.56oz packed weight" ~ 72.5g)

Note: 32 Fluid Ounces (US) = 0.946 Liters; 1 Liter = 33.8 Fluid Ounces (US)

The hose, caps, and squirt nozzles are interchangeable among the Platypus Hoser and Bag, though the Hoser's 45-degree angle routes the hose nicer. Where the Bags have a plastic feel, the Hoser is rubbery. Trick: if loading the rubbery one is a sticking issue, put it in a plastic shopping bag first. :wink:
PlatypusHoser2.JPG
PlatypusHoser2.JPG (106.21 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
The 1-meter long drink hose has no shut off at the mouthpiece, and has more a rubber than vinyl feels so it sticks a little more. There's a clip for the mouthpiece that snaps off if unneeded. Lacking a shutoff, I would drain or cap it when not on the trail, and clip the hose end above the pouch in camp. Others have swapped hoses or bite-valves, but the Hoser's niche is light and compact. Easy enough to clean with a brush and sanitize with a touch of bleach in some water. No taste issues to date, unlike some Camelbacks I've read.

The Hoser fill hole is small thus harder to fill with ice, though I've seen "bottle" ice trays at Wallyworld, long narrow rubber channels, whose "cheese stick" cubes will push in easily.

Price
Platypus Hoser 2L (70oz): $19.99 at local Dick's, though listed as $22.99 online.
Platypus Hoser 3L (100oz): $24.99 both in store and online.
Platypus Drink Tube Kit: $10.97 online (reg $12.99). Convert any Platypus pouch or repair Hoser.
3-Pack of Sawyer 32oz Pouches: $8.99 at Cabela's. Just one 1L Platypus pouch cost $9 on trip.

Other Review
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hydration ... ypus-Hoser

My Current Setup: Thinking now I'll try 2L of Hoser water, 1L of drink bottle mix, and 32oz "dirty" Sawyer pouch for filter. I can always carry less water or just the powder alone in the bottle until needed for the hike in, and will play with filling Hoser by hanging it off a DIY collar string before hitting trail, including hanging off pack for those tree-free areas. I usually pack an extra squeeze bag should one break on a multi-day trip so I don't have to resort to ClO2 tabs. For shorter day hikes I'll just pack in municipal water with tabs as back up.

Will update with use later. Stay hydrated! :iluvbeer:
Last edited by TallGrass on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Review: Platypus Hoser 2L (70oz)

Post by CHeimCO »

I love my MSR 3 liter! First one lasted almost 10 years (hose eventually failed), my second is 5+ and going strong.
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

Sawyer in-line filter, swapping hose between 2 or 3 liter Platypus reservoirs. https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-3-way-water-filter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aquamira chlorine drops as backup
-MacG
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

I usually have to carry my water in nalgenes, since my Osprey Kestrel 38 can have trouble fitting a 2L Camelbak :(. However, I just was given a Platypus Gravity Filter, so I'll need to try and see if I can figure out a setup with that, which could greatly reduce the weight of plastic I have to carry. To filter, if necessary, I prefer to use the gravity filter, but I keep tablets in my Essentials Bag. I used to use Aquamira, but decided to switch and give tablets a try. Also, for fun, I bring a Life Straw that I got for free at the Go Pro Games.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

CreekRunner wrote:I usually have to carry my water in nalgenes, since my Osprey Kestrel 38 can have trouble fitting a 2L Camelbak :(. However, I just was given a Platypus Gravity Filter, so I'll need to try and see if I can figure out a setup with that, which could greatly reduce the weight of plastic I have to carry. To filter, if necessary, I prefer to use the gravity filter, but I keep tablets in my Essentials Bag. I used to use Aquamira, but decided to switch and give tablets a try. Also, for fun, I bring a Life Straw that I got for free at the Go Pro Games.
FYI - You can also buy Osprey specific hydration bladders in 1.5-3 liter sizes that will fit the smaller Kestrels. I use the latest 3 liter model in my Kestrel 28 without issue: http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/catego ... cessories/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

kaiman wrote:
CreekRunner wrote:I usually have to carry my water in nalgenes, since my Osprey Kestrel 38 can have trouble fitting a 2L Camelbak :(. However, I just was given a Platypus Gravity Filter, so I'll need to try and see if I can figure out a setup with that, which could greatly reduce the weight of plastic I have to carry. To filter, if necessary, I prefer to use the gravity filter, but I keep tablets in my Essentials Bag. I used to use Aquamira, but decided to switch and give tablets a try. Also, for fun, I bring a Life Straw that I got for free at the Go Pro Games.
FYI - You can also buy Osprey specific hydration bladders in 1.5-3 liter sizes that will fit the smaller Kestrels. I use the latest 3 liter model in my Kestrel 28 without issue: http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/catego ... cessories/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kai
Interesting. The dimensions of my Camelbak measured to 17H X 7W X 3.5D. The Osprey version publishes the dimensions of their 3L reservoir to be 15H X 7W X 3D. It doesn't seem like half an inch in depth would decide the difference between fitting or not, plus your pack is 10L smaller, which has the possibility of putting a reservoir in the pouch even more difficult, depending on the construction. Perhaps I should experiment with my packing sequence or with the velcro adjacent to the hydration pouch opening.
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

Needs to separate polls, one for carrying and one for purifying.

I carry a 3L platypus that's 8-10 years old in warmer times. I also occasionally use a 2L camelback instead. Nalgenes only in the cold.

This year I've started using a Sawyer mini for filtration and it's been nice. Prior to that I treated with chlorine tablets. Still carry them as back up since they weigh nothing.

Only issue with the Sawyer mini... I'd actually like a larger bag. It takes a few rounds to fill up multiple liters.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

alpha wrote:Needs to separate polls, one for carrying and one for purifying. ... Only issue with the Sawyer mini... I'd actually like a larger bag. It takes a few rounds to fill up multiple liters.
You can vote for two options, one for each. Forgot to tick that option up from 1 to 2 :oops: , but you can also change or add to your vote.

Sawyer has offered 12oz, 16oz (.5L), 32oz (1L), and 64oz (2L) bags. You can buy a three-pack of 32oz for $9 or a two-pack of 64oz for $10. With a 32oz/1L bag I usually fill three bags for two 1L bottles or four for three since running creek water won't fully "puff" out the bag to full capacity.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

TallGrass wrote:
alpha wrote:Needs to separate polls, one for carrying and one for purifying. ... Only issue with the Sawyer mini... I'd actually like a larger bag. It takes a few rounds to fill up multiple liters.
You can vote for two options, one for each. Forgot to tick that option up from 1 to 2 :oops: , but you can also change or add to your vote.

Sawyer has offered 12oz, 16oz (.5L), 32oz (1L), and 64oz (2L) bags. You can buy a three-pack of 32oz for $9 or a two-pack of 64oz for $10. With a 32oz/1L bag I usually fill three bags for two 1L bottles or four for three since running creek water won't fully "puff" out the bag to full capacity.
Ah that's better!
Also yeah I figured there were other bag options for the Sawyer setup. I've only used it a couple times so far and was trying to get a feel for what I wanted before I dug in too hard. I agree, it seems tough to get a complete fill from creek water, or worse, little trickles of snow melt.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Update on how the Platypus Hoser 2L has been.
Taste has been good, as in neutral without anything plastic-like.
Filling is as easy as any bladder, just with an angled neck. The nozzle on my Sawyer Squeeze (bought before Mini came out) wedges nicely in it that I can just screw off the 32oz Sawyer bag for second squeeze when filtering.
Bite valve lacks a shut off, but no leaks unless you sleep on it. Even in a packed pack, it wouldn't dribble. Can take a bit of sucking, but if you flex with a fuller pack it pressurizes it some.
Hose length is adequate with heads up drinking best if routed over shoulder though hose will flap on shoulder, lays better routed under arm but you have to tilt your head down a bit when drinking. Switching between the two is easy and clips easily to shoulder strap either way.
Pack fit is good, though I only have used it in my REI Flash 22. Lacking baffles, it's fairly round when full and the bag is more rubbery so you either have to shake it down into the pack like putting a pillow case on, or put a shopping bag around it so it'll slide easy.
Cleaning is simple since it lacks baffles, though you need a bottle brush to scrub. I only put filtered or treated water in it, no sports drinks, no untreated water, so only "clean" it with tap water with a little bit of bleach, squeeze out the air, and let sit over night. I guess the lazy backcountry way would be to drop a couple ClO2 tabs in it when full.
Weight is negligible since it's just angled-outlet bag with a screw on hose. No handle, no big plastic screw cap, no baffle construction, nor shutoff valve to add weight, though it does have a reinforced loop to hang it from in your pack.
Adaptability is good, especially if you have other Platy's. The caps and squirt nozzles (included with regular bags, not Hoser) will interchange so you can mix and match, or use the 2L in camp for cooking or hung for weak solar shower (every little bit helps fight trail funk). The hose is a straight cut of translucent blue rubber line pressed onto a barbed fitting at the bag end, with a very rubbery bite valve pushed over the other.
The hose itself is about 3/8" O.D. with a 1/4" I.D., so other makes' bite valves and bags should be easy to transplant. My other bag had a vinyl hose that was more rigid.
My system is a 32oz Sawyer bag to collect untreated water, Sawyer Squeeze filter (non-mini), 2L Platy' Hoser for water only, and one or two Powerade bottles for powdered drinks or for a rigid container to squeeze into. With ClO2 tabs in my ICSH pouch as backup, any part could get damaged or lost and I'd still be fine.

Think that covers it. Let me know if you have any questions or need other specs. Considering a 1L Platy' bag is about $10, as is the screw-on hose if bought alone, $20 is a fair deal for it IMHO.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Got a new Hoser free of charge. On my last trip, I noticed water in my tent in the morning but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Eventually traced it to the seam where the hanger is on the bag so it'd only leak when laying down or under pressure, though it didn't while hiking with a loaded pack. A slow leak to be sure, but eight hours adds up.

I called Cascade Designs (also does Thermarest) to see what the recommended fix was (glue? melt?). They asked for a photo, said it was non-repairable as they use RF welding, and sent me another Hoser 2L. Didn't see any warranty on the package, but am encouraged by their customer service to continue buy and use their products compared to others.
PlatypusHoser2lLeak2.JPG
PlatypusHoser2lLeak2.JPG (52.67 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

TallGrass wrote:Got a new Hoser free of charge. On my last trip, I noticed water in my tent in the morning but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Eventually traced it to the seam where the hanger is on the bag so it'd only leak when laying down or under pressure, though it didn't while hiking with a loaded pack. I called Cascade Designs (also does Thermarest) to see what the recommended fix was (glue? melt?). They asked for a photo, said it was non-repairable as they use RF welding, and sent me another Hoser 2L. Didn't see any warranty on the package, but am encouraged by their customer service to continue buy and use their products.
PlatypusHoser2lLeak.JPG
Glad they took care of you TallGrass. BTW Platypus is owned by Cascade Designs (MSR, Thermarest, etc.) You can find warranty info for all their products on their website here: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/Service/W ... and-Repair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick