Solo female hiker advice

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
James2015
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Solo female hiker advice

Post by James2015 »

My girlfriend has been doing a lot of hikes on her own while I do my peakbagging. There's been a few times when a solo guy has approached her (one time a guy carrying a big knife in his belt who seemed a little off and got her a bit concerned), so I'm curious how solo female hikers feel about carrying any form of defense options. Pepper spray or taser or something more serious? Or nothing? Some of the places we hike can be pretty isolated, and I know the odds are against anything happening, but... I also know there's always concern about those items being used against the carrier and I wonder about how fast you could get something out, but would like to know what people think. Thank you for your responses (both from men and women), and sorry if I missed an old thread...
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Solo female hiker advice

Post by ezabielski »

I've met many, many solo female hikers while thru hiking and they didn't seem outwardly worried and I am not aware of any of them carrying self defense weapons. But I am not a woman, so I have a pretty limited perspective beyond that.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I solo hike a lot, CO/AK/NY/CA. Mostly on random obscure 13ers, so I rarely see anyone at all, and if I do, they are typically friendly. Popular trails to lakes etc have a lot of people, and I've rarely felt uncomfortable.

The only time I've frequently felt the need for protection, was in Alaska. But that was from the predators that make humans their prey (or scratching posts). In Colorado, it's been very rare to have an off encounter. But they do happen. Maybe one day I'll start regularly packing my pepper spray, that I've never used, despite having for a decade or so.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I almost always hike and do peaks alone. I started doing it out of necessity due to my schedule, but now I just prefer it. I've never been bothered by anyone on a trail or a peak. That's not to say it doesn't happen.

She can get runner's/hiker's pepper spray and velcro it to the top of her pack strap or to her wrist so she can get to it quickly if something happens...about $10 on Amazon.

-Susan
Paula
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paula »

As a woman who carries a stun gun around town, I don't worry about my safety in the back country and don't carry anything. If she'd feel safer carrying something, I'd recommend pepper spray as it's small and will help against an attack by an animal as well.
justiner wrote:^^^ This person foods.
summitwolf
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 164 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by summitwolf »

I solo hike almost exclusively and have never had any issues and have never felt threatened. Sure, I've met a few "characters" on the trail from time to time that gave me a chuckle but I've never felt the need to carry any sort of self-defense weapon. I most always hike/climb with my dog (Belgian Malinois) so perhaps that is a deterrent for any would be problems but honestly my feeling is that most people you encounter in the mtns are there to enjoy the mtns the same as me. I also sleep in the back of my truck at TH's and do extended backpacking trips alone all the time and don't even give it a second thought anymore (and I see more and more women doing the same which is great)!
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
starsstuff
14ers: 36  5 
13ers: 26 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by starsstuff »

I've also hiked solo most of my life. I've never had a threatening or uncomfortable encounter with people out on a trail. Quite the opposite, men and women are most friendly and helpful. Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't some dangerous people out there. I second the pepper spray. I carry it when I walk my dogs, which is more out of concern for them being attacked by another dog.

That being said, I prefer to hike alone than to post a message for a hiking partner in large groups where you don't know who might be lurking.
One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singin',
You're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky
(Summertime, lyrics by DuBose Heyward)
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

I've hiked dozens of peaks solo in Colorado and Washington over the past several years, and I've done solo hikes/trips to Peru and Thailand. The only time I've ever carried a pistol was while hiking in Glacier National Park -- and that was for bears, not humans. It's just not a thing I've ever been concerned about -- like susanjoypaul said -- creeps do exist and stuff can happen, but it's extremely rare.
If she is going to feel safer (and be able to enjoy the mountains more because she isn't worried about something bad happening), then some pepper spray/bear mace isn't a bad idea. However, it's not something I'd consider an "essential."
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Couple thousand solo peaks. Never felt threatened.

However, it's always odd to encounter a man when I'm solo who asks in disbelief if I'm alone. It's usually easy to tell from his voice that he's concerned, not threatening. But guys, how are we supposed to feel answering that? When I was new at this, I thought maybe I should lie and claim a friend was just behind me. Now I say sure, and if they ask if I'm afraid being out alone, I throw out, "Should I be? Are you planning to hurt me?" It doesn't happen as often these days as it used to. But really, if you see a woman climbing / hiking alone, don't say something to her that you wouldn't say to a solo guy.
Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Teresa Gergen wrote:if you see a woman climbing / hiking alone, don't say something to her that you wouldn't say to a solo guy.
+1

Though, I do like messing with these types the most! Their minds are blown ever so easily.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

Teresa Gergen wrote: But really, if you see a woman climbing / hiking alone, don't say something to her that you wouldn't say to a solo guy.

Absolutely agree with this point––all male hikers/climbers/mountaineers can just go by the simple principle of treating the woman the same way you would if you encounter another dude on a hiking trail.

The most times I've run into solo ladies on 14ers has been in the early morning hours during monsoon season when headlamps are out and you can't really see who people are fully––I try and keep it simple. "Hey, how's it going?"/"What's up?"/"Good morning." and move on. If they want to talk to me, that's cool. If they're in their own headspace and enjoying the mountains, I say go for it and I make sure to go out of my way not to bother them or hike too closely. If our paces match, I try and keep a healthy distance and give a woman a nice personal space bubble in which she can enjoy the mountains without any irritating distractions.

I'll admit I'd be creeped out if I met a man or woman openly carrying a gun on a 14er in Colorado, but bear spray with a chest harness (something I sport when I hike solo is dual purpose––anti-creep and anti-bear!
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Stay awesome!!!