Solo female hiker advice

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Solo female hiker advice

Post by sunny1 »

Voshkm wrote:is it a good idea to have all of our members that are female and hike alone put themselves down on a list together? should also now say when and where each of these lone gals are hiking?
No - I let at least one person know where I'm going, my route, and best estimated time of return. I use a SPOT. I would not hang that info out for the public.
Marmot96 wrote:Wouldn't that be a surefire way for any creeps to know where they could find women hiking alone?
Yes, agree!

I hike alone at times and enjoy the solitude. I think each person - male or female - should carry whatever they feel comfortable with for the environment they're in. Different locations require different preparations. Additionally, whatever one carries, one should know how it works without having to look at it or review procedure when that moment arrives requiring use of the choice of self-defense!

I tend to over-prepare when I'm on my own, since there is no "buffer", it's just me. I'm it. Have to be entirely self-reliant.

Most of the concerned people I've encountered when I'm solo are guys (middle-aged or above). I can only remember one woman expressing concern, and she was with a male partner. It seems well-meaning to me.

I have also gotten that "creeped out feeling" a few times, strong enough turn me around. I never saw anything, but I distinctly felt I was being followed by a mountain lion.
It's important to trust your gut!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

Richard Derkase wrote:
Voshkm wrote:is it a good idea to have all of our members that are female and hike alone put themselves down on a list together? should also now say when and where each of these lone gals are hiking?
You made my point quite well for me: Creeps are everywhere. ^

Dick
^ Even as a very fit male, I'd probably give someone looking like your avatar a wide berth :)
mizchriz
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mizchriz »

I solo most of the time and all I carry with me is a satellite communication device and self-defense knowledge which I have never had to use in the wilderness. A palm to the underside of a nose, or a kick to the knee in a direction it doesn't bend should disable someone enough to get a head start. :wft:
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

Marmot96 wrote:
Wouldn't that be a surefire way for any creeps to know where they could find women hiking alone?
I see that I failed to use the sarcasm font.....
I am positively sickened by the appearance that only Dick understood my comment at all...
And Berg no idea where you were able to find the perfect picture response to my sword comment. Truth be told I have no idea how to use one and am now positively too frightened to enter the CO wilderness. Am now packing my bags for safer regions like Fallujah or northern Syria.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Voshkm wrote: And Berg no idea where you were able to find the perfect picture response to my sword comment. Truth be told I have no idea how to use one and am now positively too frightened to enter the CO wilderness. Am now packing my bags for safer regions like Fallujah or northern Syria.
I have that photo because that's me on Quandary on Halloween. I know Kendo. Or at least used to practice once. I didn't bring my sharp Katana for everyone's safety.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

sarahhaubert wrote:I almost always have my dog with me.
Lot's of good advice.

+1 for having a dog along. My wife spends a lot of time on the trail alone and having the dog along has often helped her to feel a bit more safe. Our dog is not big, mean or vicious, but she could definitely be protective in a threatening situation. Just the prospect of it I believe would deter anybody with ill intent.
bouncebarkrun
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bouncebarkrun »

Jeff Valliere wrote:
sarahhaubert wrote:I almost always have my dog with me.
Lot's of good advice.

+1 for having a dog along. My wife spends a lot of time on the trail alone and having the dog along has often helped her to feel a bit more safe. Our dog is not big, mean or vicious, but she could definitely be protective in a threatening situation. Just the prospect of it I believe would deter anybody with ill intent.
I was shocked how many people commented this weekend "wow, just you and your dog backpacking?" The feeling I got varied from general appreciation/respect when it came from families or groups of women to utter creepiness when it came from solo guys hanging out in the back of their pickup truck smoking pot...

That said, YES I totally felt better having a ~55 lb dog along. Especially as various wildlife paraded through the campsites at night.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Carry a knife. As a man, I sometimes feel more comfortable with a big-ass knife on my belt. Alternatively, carry bear spray.. dual purpose.
dundee.jpg
dundee.jpg (9.2 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Mblohm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mblohm »

I recently hiked Grays Peak after a work meeting in Denver. I hiked it on a Thursday and started at 5:00 am. I wanted it to be somewhat light so I could see anyone along the way, and there would be more hikers. I am in my 40’s and I did carry pepper spray, because this was my first solo hike and I wasn’t sure about animals (especially at sunrise). I felt very comfortable with the other hikers, both male and female along the trail. Due to the high elevation, after you get thru the first mile, its pretty easy to see other hikers and animals as there isn’t much cover. For safety, I was slower than normal because I didn’t want to hurt myself as I wouldn’t want to impose on any other hikers to have to assist me. I also carried a few other safety items such as band-aids, extra water and an ACE bandage. My cell phone was getting good service as my 18 year old son called and asked me to change a dentist appointment at 12,000+ feet. (I texted my reply- yup- the life of a working mom). Honestly, the creepiest part was the water stop at a gas station along the way....
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

I found the following article and survey from iRunFar to be interesting and pertinent to this conversation, a very detailed breakdown of how people view the environment in which they recreate in and their experiences which differ based on gender, experience level and a host of other factors.

https://www.irunfar.com/2018/05/irunfar ... sults.html

https://www.irunfar.com/2018/07/irunfar ... ssion.html
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

susanjoypaul wrote:I almost always hike and do peaks alone. I started doing it out of necessity due to my schedule, but now I just prefer it. I've never been bothered by anyone on a trail or a peak. That's not to say it doesn't happen...
This would also describe my experience, after years (or more accurately now, decades) of solo hiking.