Jagged rope length?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hook Em Horns
14ers: 58 
13ers: 101
Trip Reports (7)

Jagged rope length?

Post by Hook Em Horns »

I've seen differing opinions on needed rope length for the three rappels on on standard descent. I have a 30m and 60m rope. Those who have been up there, can I get away with the 30m? Thanks.
Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
evolve
14ers: 17 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Jagged rope length?

Post by evolve »

A 30 will suffice for the three distinct low 5th sections. If you want to rap from the summit however, I believe you'll need a 60 or 70. I can't confirm though as I haven't done it.
@cruxology
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Take the 30m.
I think two 30's tied together was overkill on the first two rappels (we did) from the notch on the N face.
The last (3rd for us) rappel is the only place I think there's an advantage of having more rope length. But I think a 30m there would get you over the harder down-climbing section of that area on the mountain.
Hook Em Horns
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Hook Em Horns »

Thanks guys. I had been convinced 30 would be ok for months but starting second guessing myself as the date draws near. 30 will really help cut down pack weight :)
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
laswa-guide
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 136
Trip Reports (0)

Post by laswa-guide »

We brought a 30m rope. That was sufficient to get up and down the hardest parts. We did team up with another team coming down and tied two 30m ropes together for the rappels down third (topmost) and 1st cruxes. The third crux went faster with the longer length. The 2nd crux is very short. the 1st crux also benefited from a longer rope but would've gone past the wet, slabby spot at its top with just 30 m.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Hook Em Horns wrote:30 will really help cut down pack weight :)
What diameter (brand, model)? An 8mm twin will pack lighter than an 11mm. Beal Rando* is 37g/m, under 2.5 lbs for a 8mm x 30m. *Recommend popping for the Golden Dry treatment.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

30 m alone to rap the two higher cruxes, 30 m plus a pull cord to rap the lowest crux.

http://www.bigfootmountainguides.com/20 ... ng_31.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

When in doubt err on the side of caution, bring the 60 and you got no worries. Figure out the extra weight and then lose the extra pounds and you'll be no worse for the wear.
Hook Em Horns
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Hook Em Horns »

Have a friend with a light 60m, decided this morning to go with that. Would rather carry a few extra pounds than get in trouble. Thanks for the replies all.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Hook Em Horns wrote:Have a friend with a light 60m, decided this morning to go with that. Would rather carry a few extra pounds than get in trouble. Thanks for the replies all.
You can always cut it an half and throw it in the lake so you don't have to hike out with it.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Why waste the rope to a lake? Fixed rope like on LB....
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

d_baker wrote:Why waste the rope to a lake? Fixed rope like on LB....
Cause it'd look like a big snake in a lake.