Wilderness Trek School et al

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ahriman
14ers: 9  7 
13ers: 16 4
Trip Reports (0)

Wilderness Trek School et al

Post by ahriman »

Just signed up for the CMC Wilderness Trekking School starting in September and wanted to discuss both that and other courses you would suggest. I have been a hobbyist hiker off and on for quite a few years, and am fond of hiking around my neck of the woods in Evergreen. I am fortunate enough to live next to Flying J Ranch, and within spitting distance of Meyer Ranch and 3 Sisters and hike these often. Recently I began training in earnest and bagged my first 14er two weekends ago (much better experience than the Matterhorn summit attempt in California a couple years back, but that is another story...). The experience was more than I imagined it to be, and the result was I could not wait to get back up there.

For the past few days I have been pestering you all about some winter equipment I bought because I wanted to have it all now. But the kind and patient folks who responded to that thread helped me to put the brakes on a bit, and realize this is a journey. So now I want to learn as much as I can in order to facilitate my newest expensive hobby. As I stated, I signed up for the Wilderness Trekking course, but would like some input on other courses or resources I can utilize to educate myself, as well as discuss how the progression through the CMC Schools usually works.

Thanx, look forward to your responses and the discussion.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Wilderness Trek School et al

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I've taken a number of the CMC classes and was a member for a few years. The CMC classes are a great value. The normal progression through CMC classes is:

WTS -> Alpine Scrambling -> BMS -> HAMS

The alpine scrambling class is to get you comfortable on Class 3 type terrain. BMS involves rope skills for Class 5 terrain and more advanced snow climbing skills (snow anchors, crampons, etc). HAMS is geared towards glacier travel and higher mountains outside of Colorado. I only did WTS and BMS. The scrambling class didn't exist when I was in the CMC. As I said, I think the classes are great and you will learn a lot. Get yourself a copy of Mountaineering: Freedom Of the Hills too and start going through it. You can learn a lot that way as well.
ahriman
14ers: 9  7 
13ers: 16 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wilderness Trek School et al

Post by ahriman »

Thanx Jon, looks like most agree with you on that book -- I tend to perk up when someone calls an instructional aid a "bible." I will pick that one up.

I would like to support the CMC. Anone have any book recommendations (or other) from their site?

Seems the trekking school and the scrambling class are pretty closely related -- the trek curriculum even asks us to indicate if we intend to go on to the scramble class and the instructor will gear instruction toward that goal.