Dry, cracked toes and heels

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Dry, cracked toes and heels

Post by MtnHub »

Sometimes, and especially when I'm in boots all day and hiking hard, my toes and heels get cracked and pretty sore. Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, how do you treat or repair them?

I smear Vasoline on them which helps to some degree, but am curious if anyone has something that works even better.
scott goldberg
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 37 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dry, cracked toes and heels

Post by scott goldberg »

Bag Balm!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Soak in Epsom salt.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Consider having a doctor check for skin fungus. I lived with dry flaky skin on my feet for years before addressing it. A couple of weeks after treatment (meds, forget the exact name) the problem completely went away.
Roll No Rocks
hvolmer
14ers: 20 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hvolmer »

Alpine Guy wrote:Consider having a doctor check for skin fungus. I lived with dry flaky skin on my feet for years before addressing it. A couple of weeks after treatment (meds, forget the exact name) the problem completely went away.
I would second the fungus suggestion. I had problems that didn't require a doctor. An real anti-fungal spray on foot and in shoes helped me a bit, but mainly washing the crap out of those dogs every time I bathed. Make sure your shower/tub is clean as well.
mr_Chris
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr_Chris »

hvolmer wrote:
Alpine Guy wrote:Consider having a doctor check for skin fungus. I lived with dry flaky skin on my feet for years before addressing it. A couple of weeks after treatment (meds, forget the exact name) the problem completely went away.
I would second the fungus suggestion. I had problems that didn't require a doctor. An real anti-fungal spray on foot and in shoes helped me a bit, but mainly washing the crap out of those dogs every time I bathed. Make sure your shower/tub is clean as well.
And I'll third that. I also lived with this for years and it cleared up very soon after some OTC meds (Lamisil in my case).