Summer Hiking Socks?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Summer Hiking Socks?

Post by TallGrass »

As they're wearing out, time to look at re-socking my drawer. Curious what folks use to avoid prune feet after hours of hiking. Taking a break to air sockless feet before donning a dry pair is one way. Wicking synthetic under a wool outer is another, but a little much in the heat. What brands, styles, and tricks do ya'll use?

EDIT: And a good place or two to find them, be it wally world, rei, runner stores, or a website. Picked up my last round of woolies at STP on sale.
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Summer Hiking Socks?

Post by Scott P »

If I don't plan on getting my feet wet, I often wear "Steel Toe" work socks. They are so comfy. They are thick cotton, but if you don't plan on getting wet, they are fine.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Merino wool, light to medium weight. But - thanks for the reminder - gotta do some re-socking myself.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Normal socks. Cotton. Black. High ankle. #climbhard.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
beburke30
14ers: 25 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beburke30 »

Monster5 wrote:Normal socks. Cotton. Black. High ankle. #climbhard.
+1. Six pack at Wal Mart for about $7
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

beburke30 wrote:
Monster5 wrote:Normal socks. Cotton. Black. High ankle. #climbhard.
+1. Six pack at Wal Mart for about $7
Made by a billion of your closest friends.
MtnLover
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MtnLover »

Merino wool, light to medium weight. I just bought my first pair of Darn Tough ones, they are $20 a pair at REI, but have a lifetime guarantee so I felt it was worth splurging and they're made in the USA.

http://darntough.com/about-us/our-guarantee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unconditional lifetime guarantee—simply and without strings or conditions:

If our socks are not the most comfortable, durable and best fitting socks you have ever owned, return them for another pair, or your money back.

No strings. No conditions. For life.

When you are really serious about something you make it yourself.
Returning socks:

If you were able to wear out a pair of Darn Tough socks, we’ll replace them. At any time. Just package the socks up, fill out the form, and send to the appropriate address—we will send you a brand new pair!

Ric Cabot
President & CEO
Cabot Hosiery Mills / Darn Tough Vermont
still Made in Vermont, USA
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

MtnLover, bet REI employees were relieved that's one used product they don't have to deal with. :-& $20 is pricey, kind of like the ThorLos I used to buy, yet might get a pair to test their guarantee. :wink:

SchralpTheGnar, them ain't sockmakers. Looks more like some food processing with the masks and scales. Where's the photo from?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

Swiftwicks. They're a bit stiffer and fit closer to my feet than regular socks, and dry crazy fast after stream crossings. With one exception, I haven't had blisters or trench foot since I switched to these (the one exception being fully soaked feet during an overnight race). I have them in a variety of heights, bought at Runners Roost when I still lived in Denver.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

I'm a thin sock sort of guy. DeFeet Aireators made in NC. Usually I go straight to the website but will buy them at bike shops from time to time.
DeFeet.com
xthine
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by xthine »

Here in AZ: Smartwool -- PhD Outdoor light to heavy, Hiking crew medium. Wanted to try their liner socks but afraid my feet would get too warm.