Digital watch with loud alarm?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Digital watch with loud alarm?

Post by scramble »

Do you guys have any recommendations? I had a Timex expedition watch (which I recently threw off a cliff) and I couldn't hear the alarm with earplugs in. I don't really like relying on my cell phone.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Digital watch with loud alarm?

Post by justiner »

Have you considered a vibrating alarm? I seem to remember my timex expedition having that feature. If yours did, was it not very useful for you?
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Just take your watch off and put it next to your head. I know I can't hear it for sure if its on my wrist in a sleeping bag.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

scramble wrote:Do you guys have any recommendations? I had a Timex expedition watch (which I recently threw off a cliff) and I couldn't hear the alarm with earplugs in. I don't really like relying on my cell phone.
Not sure why you don't like your cell phone alarm, but my iphone set on "Classic Alarm" at full volume will wake the dead and works great. Airplane mode keeps the battery going longer, too. Hopefully you didn't throw your cell phone off the cliff :-"
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

scramble wrote:I couldn't hear the alarm with earplugs in.
But a louder watch means you'll have to buy stronger* earplugs. :-k Wait! ... :idea:

* ones with a higher NRR (noise reduction rating)
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

It may sound funny, but you can teach yourself to never need an alarm again.

In short, you picture the face of a clock, set to the time you want to wake up and do this as you're going to sleep. It takes practice and you won't be good at it right away. Start by doing this so you wake up a half an hour or so before your alarm will sound. When you do, GET UP. Don't go back to sleep or rely on the bulls**t snooze button. It took me about 2 weeks to get good at this. I haven't set an alarm in 30 years and I typically wake within a five minute window of when I want. It has never failed, even with too many Hopslams. :mrgreen:

Alarms suck. Get rid of it.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase