What car to get with good clearance?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
boleslav
Trip Reports (0)

What car to get with good clearance?

Post by boleslav »

Not sure if this fits exactly under this category- I am looking for an advice on a car to drive to the trail heads etc.

Our very old and trustworthy Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 1988 is on the way out and at this point it seems like it costs more and more to fix the constant problems that have been coming up this year.
It may be time to replace it it with a more reliable car.

Here are some specifications that we would like to have in a new car:
Stick shift
Good clearance (the Jeep had 10inches)
6 cylinder
Enough space in the back that we can sleep there (the second car we have is Subaru Forester, that has plenty of space once we fold the back seats, but the clearance is not as good and the engine is not that strong)

Would appreciate your suggestions as we just got a call from the shop that there is another $1500 issue with the Jeep.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: What car to get with good clearance?

Post by Scott P »

There aren't that many vehicles that still offer a stick shift. Many new autos are more efficient and perform better anyway.

Maybe look into a Tacoma if Subarus don't have enough ground clearance. I'd you want to buy used, Xterras are good.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Hooboy, this topic has been discussed quite a lot on this site, actually.

My personal favorite: Jeep Liberty, the pole smokers special. :mrgreen:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CHeimCO »

Get another jeep. An older Cherokee (maybe not 1988 old)... but 95-2000 won't break the bank.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

80 series landcruiser with 6bt and nv4500 swapped in.
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

You want a truck.
Andrew Russell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andrew Russell »

I
CHeimCO wrote:Get another jeep. An older Cherokee (maybe not 1988 old)... but 95-2000 won't break the bank.
This.
@andysoutdooradventures
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Get another Jeep,that's why there called Jeep Roads---you'll LOVE it!!
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Richard Derkase wrote:Jeep Liberty, hands down.

All the car you'll ever need.

Dick
Pffft... haha!

Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road long bed. 9.4" clearance. They make a manual and you can sleep in the bed. I have a short bed, but I just take it up high enough to get above the bugs and sleep under the stars with the tailgate open...

I got one less than 2 months ago and have had that thing all over. Up Mt Antero, no problem. Over Medano pass, no problem. Up to 12,800ft on Castle Creek road no problem. Up Yankee Boy Basin, and on and on... the thing is an absolute beast and it's a great ride in town too!
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
letourneau41
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letourneau41 »

I got a 4Runner and put a lift on it. I've been on a lot of rough roads and haven't had any issues so far. Unfortunately I don't think they offer a stick shift option. I am also able to get a blow up twin bed in the back for car camping.

Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.
lpeabbles
14ers: 27 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (6)

Post by lpeabbles »

In regards to your stick shift requirement - I'd recommend rethinking that. I have been a die-hard stick shift driver for years and just HAD to have another one when I bought my brand new 2015 Subaru Crosstrek. Let me tell ya - it was a mistake. It's geared very poorly so that first isn't really low enough to do anything. I can't get up anything steep and rocky because I'll either stall out or DESTROY my clutch fluttering it. I have a friend who has the same car in an automatic and it can do a lot more than mine. Despite loving my stick shifts for years, I think my next vehicle will be an automatic.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I have a Nissan Frontier and it'll go anywhere a Tacoma will, and they are slightly cheaper. Pro tip- the 2006-2015 Frontiers are pretty much all the same as they didn't change the model in 11 years! So you can get an older one and it'll still be the current generation (for now).

Besides that, Grand Cherokee, 4runner, Xterra are all good options. Even a Dodge Durango might be a possibility.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog