Gear Spec Comparison

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tomcat32
14ers: 21  4 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (43)

Gear Spec Comparison

Post by tomcat32 »

The Backpacker magazine Gear Guide Issue used to have a chart in each category (Packs, tents, bags, shoes, etc) listing most brands with a quick spec list showing weight, price, features, size, etc. Now it just does a handful of reviews and picks for each category. Does anyone have a website to recommend that shows the expansive chart like the old Backpacker Gear Guide. I may in the market for a new pack soon and would like a list like that for comparison rather than going back and forth between each company's website.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Gear Spec Comparison

Post by CreekRunner »

Outdoor Gear Lab has pretty good comparisons. Other than that, I'd recommend evaluating gear the fun way: Color coated spreadsheets. =P~
Chase_Rowdy
14ers: 19  1  1 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chase_Rowdy »

CreekRunner wrote:Outdoor Gear Lab has pretty good comparisons.

+1

Once you find a few you're interested in, read customer reviews on backcountry, etc.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Take all of the reviews with a fair bit of skepticism since they generally are all positive and focus on features instead of weight. My son has loved his barebones Z-Pack, weighing less than 8 ounces and capable of carrying supplies for a week-long excursion. I cringe when I read reviews of 6 lb packs (for non-Alaskan trips).
http://www.zpacks.com/

We notice lots of people carrying massive loads on overnight trips. We will be effortlessly strolling past them with less than 15 total pounds. Many trip reports for Mt. Olympus in Washington talk about two day death march of 18 miles to get to base camp from the TH. With relatively light gear the approach wasn't bad at all in a single day. We were in Glacier NP last week and passed many people who were huffing and puffing to maintain a 1 mph pace. With less weight it wasn't too hard to knock off the same section at a 2 mph pace. The Z-Pack was excellent for Snowmass, turning a 20 mile brutal day into a more manageable 15 mile summit day plus a relaxing 5 mile approach the night before. Other people on the trip were hauling far more weight and were beat by the time they just completed the approach. Go light and enjoy a new mindset when climbing.

1/2 lb backpack (+1 on Z-Packs)
1.5 lb sleeping bag (hard to beat Western Mountaineering)
0.5 lb ground pad (cheap, thin foam ones work)
<3 lb tent (had good luck with Big Agnes)
1 lb cook system (compact cannister system with titanium pot)
2 lbs of miscellaneous stuff (go light and retreat down the mountain if the weather turns nasty)

Total weight without food and water: ~8 lbs!
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

CreekRunner wrote:Outdoor Gear Lab
I agree with CreekRunner, I've had pretty good luck with purchasing gear after reading comparisons and reviews from Gear Lab. After narrowing the list down to a couple of choices, reading user reviews usually helps me make up my mind.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick