Alternatives to high-carb meals?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Alternatives to high-carb meals?

Post by djkest »

Hey guys, I'm currently on a keto diet (high fat, low carb) but I'm not here to sell anyone on this. However, I'm looking for mountain-house type freeze-dried meals that aren't loaded with carbs. It's not so much that I'm trying to diet while hiking, as it is that my body is adapted to burning fat for energy and I'm wary of changing up my diet when I am out in the Wilderness.

I'm sure that paleo people also have this problem, as well. I was looking at REI and didn't find anything.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Alternatives to high-carb meals?

Post by oldschoolczar »

I just saw dehydrated meals similar to mountain houses that were more "paleo". Saw them at an outdoors shop in Telluride. I think it was these:

https://paleomealstogo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I've seen online that you can buy just freeze dried meat and veggies, then mix them yourself into heavy duty freezer bags and make your own meals
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

oldschoolczar wrote:I just saw dehydrated meals similar to mountain houses that were more "paleo". Saw them at an outdoors shop in Telluride. I think it was these:

$10 for around 300-350 calories is not cheap. I think making your own would make far more sense.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Jon Frohlich wrote:
oldschoolczar wrote:I just saw dehydrated meals similar to mountain houses that were more "paleo". Saw them at an outdoors shop in Telluride. I think it was these:

$10 for around 300-350 calories is not cheap. I think making your own would make far more sense.
Of course, but for some time is more valuable than money.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

As a Paleo type, I can tell you that there really aren't any cheap solutions to this problem. If you are not backpacking, having a grill and cooler filled with meat and veggies is your best option. I just put a platform in my truck to better store the grill and gear. As for backpacking, I don't bother with the add boiling water type freeze dried meals anymore. I really gave up after trying to make my own, and those were nasty. I eat Epic bars, my favorites being the bison bacon cranberry and the pulled pork. While it's not a 'hot meal', you do save weight by not needing a stove and fuel!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
dereferenced
14ers: 25  1  15 
13ers: 19 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by dereferenced »

Precooked bacon for every meal?
djkest
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

dereferenced wrote:Precooked bacon for every meal?
I am already planning on bringing some precooked bacon. It keeps pretty well without refrigeration. However sometimes people like more than just bacon. :)
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Homemade pemmican, freeze-dried veggies, jerky, and sardines.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
djkest
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

painless4u2 wrote:Homemade pemmican, freeze-dried veggies, jerky, and sardines.
Jerky can be good, hard to find jerky that hasn't been cured with at least some sugar. In fact my friends were loving these steak bites until they realized one serving has 12g of sugar!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

Another option:

http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/pu ... c2502eb5da" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

scalba123 wrote:Another option:

http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/pu ... c2502eb5da" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trouble with those, is they are only 70 calories/serving. A typical backpacker burns around 600 calories/hour. You'd need a lot of those. Mainly, they have little fat content to get the calories where you need them.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9