What's in Your CamelBak?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

What's in Your CamelBak?

Post by BuckTurgidson »

Anyone ever put something other than water in their CamelBak?

I am considering putting some Gatorade in mine, but I imagine it must be a real pain to clean afterwards. Curious to know if others stick strictly to water. If not, what cleaning regimen do you use?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: What's in Your CamelBak?

Post by Cruiser »

I had an older one that accumulated a fair amount of what I assume was mold inside the bladder and tube. That always gave the water some extra flavor. :dead
Where ever you are... There you are.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

If you ever want it to taste like regular water again, don't put anything else in it, period. In my opinion, the technology is bladders hasn't moved forward an inch in the past ten years. They are still made of the same flavor absorbing rubbery material as when they first hit the market. So, if you put Gatorade, soda, or even crappy tasting water in your bladder, that is now the permanent taste of the bladder. I won't even put purified or pumped water from the backcountry into my bladder without tasting it first to make sure it is bearable. If I am going to be stopping back my car at any point, I will go without water until I can get to my Nalgene filled with palatable water to refill my bladder.

In regards to cleaning, empty and dry AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after using. The best way to keep it tasting ok for the longest time is to empty, rinse with the hottest water possible and air dry as soon as you are done with it. Some people do light soap, but as I mentioned above, you are most likely to then have a slightly soapy taste to your water.

In reality, I actually have stopped using my bladder. Leave the water in it for too long, it tastes bad. If you don't blow what is in your hose back down into the bag it gets warm and tastes bad. Even with keeping the bladder wrapped in an isolating layer in your bag, they still heat up so much faster than a bottle. They are hard to clean. They have a limited lifespan; I have had my EMS Nalgene bottle for over 10 years. They can get ripped or punched when you take them out to hang them in the woods if you are on a multi-day trip.

The only time I still see an advantage to using a bladder is during the winter when you don't want to have to deglove and/or deal with removing your pack in the snow. The water will stay cold. Other than that I am 100% fine with stopping for second to pull my bottle out and take a sip. Of course learning to drink from that widemouth bottle while walking or any sort of movement for that matter...the most difficult mountaineering skill of them all.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

handonbroward wrote:I have had my EMS Nalgene bottle for over 10 years.
Bet that bastard is chock full of bpa. That stuff turns men into women, doesn't it? Turns women into ugly women too. Terrible stuff...
Where ever you are... There you are.
forwardbias
14ers: 5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by forwardbias »

Cruiser wrote:I had an older one that accumulated a fair amount of what I assume was mold inside the bladder and tube. That always gave the water some extra flavor. :dead
Protein
BoulderBarb
14ers: 4 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BoulderBarb »

personally I feel better on longer hikes with some electrolytes in my water. Currently using Skratch Labs. Rinse with hot water, then a rinse with hot water and some vinegar, then once more with just water. No funky taste.
forwardbias
14ers: 5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by forwardbias »

I've put gatorade in mine several times...if there's been a change in the taste for regular water I'm oblivious to it. For me the gatorade has helped a lot I get the powder and just throw in three scoops with the 3 liters of water.

The tube and mouth piece come off, I just detach them and flush them after.....most of the time....
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

The Camelbak is in the fire. I don't know how anyone can drink from those nasty things.
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Post by KansanClimber »

Agreed, don't do it.

Firstly, Gatorade is mostly just sugar and wont provide much of any benefit while hiking. There are much better electrolyte or refueling options like Skratch, Tailwind, Heed, GuBru, ect. If you really want to use a drink/drink mix, get some bottles and use them. I really like softbottles by Hydropak.

Secondly, if you absolutely must use a drink mix in your bladder, get the Hydropak ones as you can turn them inside out to scrub them. Get the hose cleaner, and scrub it the second you are back from the hike. Otherwise, you're going to have a bad time.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Agreed. Don't do it. If you need/want electrolytes, just carry a bottle with that mixture.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Mold is in mine. They are hard to clean once moldy. I wouldn't recommend using anything except water. I tried Gatorade, but it went moldy after not unpacking until a couple days later.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

BuckTurgidson wrote:Anyone ever put something other than water in their CamelBak?

I am considering putting some Gatorade in mine, but I imagine it must be a real pain to clean afterwards. Curious to know if others stick strictly to water. If not, what cleaning regimen do you use?
DON'T DO IT. use your Nalgene for Gatorade, protein drink mixes, or NUUN or other electrolyte mixtures. Nalgenes are so much easier to clean.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried