Combo summits

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bsclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Combo summits

Post by bsclimber »

I'm a first time 14er. I'm going to be in Breckenridge CO.8/22 to possibly climb Mt. Bross. I'll begin early to try to avoid afternoon thunder showers. I see that a 4 summit climb is less mile round trip than just doing Bross. Any reality advice is appreciated.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Combo summits

Post by Scott P »

Bross is the least scenic and least fun 14er in Colorado. Don't do it without Democrat and Lincoln. If you only do one, Democrat is much better than Bross.

Also, Quandary is nearby.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Scott P wrote:Bross is the least scenic and least fun 14er in Colorado. Don't do it without Democrat and Lincoln. If you only do one, Democrat is much better than Bross.

Also, Quandary is nearby.
Wouldn't recommend Bross as your first and agree with this post on better alternatives nearby. Better to gain some confidence on steeper slopes before the Bross slip-fest.
Aim high to end high
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

I also wouldn't recommend climbing Bross only, it would be best to also do Democrat and Lincoln with it (they are more enjoyable and you can also descend from that same route and save yourself the headache of going down Bross). If you are in Breckenridge, you also aren't far from Greys and Torreys, which offer nice views.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Bross? Do you not like yourself? LOL, seriously though I would look into the entire loop if your are set on getting multiple summits, but start with Democrat and make your way around to Cameron, Lincoln and finish on Bross. I really think Quandary is far better for a first timer since you'll be in Breck. The Grays/Torreys combo is not that far away either and it is much more scenic and solid than Bross.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Black Bear
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Black Bear »

If you aren't totally constricted in having to be near Breckenridge, I would recommend going elsewhere to, say, Handies Peak in the San Juans or Humboldt Peak in the Sangre de Cristos. These are incredibly beautiful peaks and would be an amazing experience for your first 14er. I say this because you should be hiking 14ers for the views, scenery, and because you like to hike, not because you feel like you have to complete a checklist. The 14ers around Breckenridge are not the most scenic or enjoyable hikes and about half of the population of Denver hikes them everyday.
If you are constricted to staying around Breckenridge and want to do a 14er, then I would say Quandary Peak is better and more enjoyable than the Quad (Dem, Cam, Lincoln, Bross).
bsclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bsclimber »

Thanks for the reply's. Starting at Kites Lake Trail Head; how long would it take me to do the 4 summits: Democrat 1st, Cameron 2nd, Lincoln 3rd and Bross and 4th? 6am start time?!
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

bsclimber wrote:Thanks for the reply's. Starting at Kites Lake Trail Head; how long would it take me to do the 4 summits: Democrat 1st, Cameron 2nd, Lincoln 3rd and Bross and 4th? 6am start time?!
Well, giving you an estimate for a timeframe for your hike is going to only be an educated guess, at best. When our small group of three hiked the loop we started at about 6 am and were back at the parking area at about 12:30. This included about 10-15 minutes per summit and frequent stops for pictures and snacks. I am a flatlander and I always plan on averaging an hour for every 1000 ft of elevation gain on any given hike...it's not scientific, but has worked somewhat for me. The loop is just shy of 4000 total ft of gain, so for me I would estimate 4 hours just for ascent times...descent times not included. 6 am is a good start time though, should give you time to get them all, but always have an eye open for a quick, safe descent in case the weather starts to look like it may get rough.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I assume that the reason you're saying Bross by itself is longer is because you're looking at the east-side route that takes the road. It would be longer, but no scree, for what it's worth. Bross by itself would be kind of dull, but that route is probably uncrowded compared to the other side (or Quandary).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Hiking Bross as a solo would be pretty underwhelming.

There are much better hikes in the Breckenridge area that are more scenic and way more fun. Bross is an over-mined gravel pile. If you haven't been up high much I guess that will mitigate the banality but you should set your sights higher with so many better opportunities around.

At the very least, do as others have suggested and do the combo. At least then you'll have gotten 4 checks for your effort. Democrat and Lincoln have fine views.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
bsclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bsclimber »

Thanks again for all the great input everyone. I'll be sure to post my experience.
bsclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bsclimber »

Well I'm back from my climb and got to say I learned that I need to do more. There were about 24 hiking that morning. I was glad to see and talk with a few of them. Only reached Democrat and Cameron. I had to go down because I wasn't makeing good time. I'm old, out of shape and packed too much. Still it felt great to push my limit and make it back. So thanks again for everyone's comments