Sleeping bag recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sleeping bag recommendations

Post by ezabielski »

I've had a few high end sleeping bags over the years, mostly buying them and selling them later to get something else: Montbell Downhuggers 15F, 0F, Nunatak twin 30F quilt, Katabatic Sawatch 15F, Katabatic Palisade 30F. I've ended up with two Katabatic bags for the past few years, and I thru hiked the PCT with the Katabatic Palisade last year. Anyway, these are my general thoughts on sleeping bags:

- Using a blanket over a down sleeping bag will somewhat decrease the warmth of the bag itself due to the compressed loft. Not super ideal, not practical for backpacking, but obviously works in a pinch while car camping.

- Warmth ratings are all over the place. The only standardized rating system is the EN rating, but many bag manufacturers don't use it. Plus the ratings are usually only for men, and women sleep colder. And then add in individual differences from one person to the next and you get quite a difference in ratings between two bags for two people. My Palisade 30 is good for me down to about 30 with some layers. But someone else might be cold in it at 30 degrees. I suggest looking at the loft values instead, as they give a more objective measurement of insulation. For 30 degrees, you probably need at least 2" of single sided loft. For 20 degrees, 2.5" of loft. Here's a discussion on loft values: https://backpackinglight.com/bpl_sleepi ... statement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FWIW, the Palisade "30" has 2.25" of loft which puts it at the 20 degree range on that table. As in, Katabatic has conservatively rated their bags compared to that table. Other companies will go more closely with the loft-temp relationship, which makes their bags seem warmer than they are.

- Down bags last a really long time when well cared for. My Palisade has over 3500 backpacking miles on it, I have't washed it in about 1400 miles, and I was sleeping at 11,000' last weekend in the Winds with it and it was fine. I eat breakfast/dinner in it frequently on trips. I stuff it in my pack for several hours with condensation and then dry it later in the sun. It's still a fine bag. Down bags can last decades.

- High end sleeping bags are IMO the best investment you can make gear wise. I don't think anything I have bought has made me as happy as my sleeping bags. A high end bag from 10 years ago, well cared for, is still a very good bag. You can't say the same about most any other major piece of gear. And as far as weight savings go, nice sleeping bags are actually a pretty money-effective way to save weight with no loss in functionality.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

ezabielski wrote:- Warmth ratings are all over the place. The only standardized rating system is the EN rating, but many bag manufacturers don't use it. Plus the ratings are usually only for men, and women sleep colder. And then add in individual differences from one person to the next and you get quite a difference in ratings between two bags for two people. My Palisade 30 is good for me down to about 30 with some layers. But someone else might be cold in it at 30 degrees. I suggest looking at the loft values instead, as they give a more objective measurement of insulation. For 30 degrees, you probably need at least 2" of single sided loft. For 20 degrees, 2.5" of loft. Here's a discussion on loft values: https://backpackinglight.com/bpl_sleepi ... statement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FWIW, the Palisade "30" has 2.25" of loft which puts it at the 20 degree range on that table. As in, Katabatic has conservatively rated their bags compared to that table. Other companies will go more closely with the loft-temp relationship, which makes their bags seem warmer than they are.
That's definitely a far better and more objective measure, but where are loft numbers widely available for online shopping? I don't see anything listed in the bag specs on any site I've been to.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

AyeYo wrote:
ezabielski wrote:- Warmth ratings are all over the place. The only standardized rating system is the EN rating, but many bag manufacturers don't use it. Plus the ratings are usually only for men, and women sleep colder. And then add in individual differences from one person to the next and you get quite a difference in ratings between two bags for two people. My Palisade 30 is good for me down to about 30 with some layers. But someone else might be cold in it at 30 degrees. I suggest looking at the loft values instead, as they give a more objective measurement of insulation. For 30 degrees, you probably need at least 2" of single sided loft. For 20 degrees, 2.5" of loft. Here's a discussion on loft values: https://backpackinglight.com/bpl_sleepi ... statement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's definitely a far better and more objective measure, but where are loft numbers widely available for online shopping? I don't see anything listed in the bag specs on any site I've been to.
Yeah, that's another problem. Sometimes you have to dig through technical specifications on multiple websites to find it. And sometimes it's just not available.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

AyeYo wrote:Any experience or hearsay on this bag?

http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-har ... xlOjE6Mzg6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I own the Ratio, the male counterpart of the bag. The cut is wide, unlike a mummy, making for a lot of room, which I like, because even though I'm by no means big, I like the room to fit in a liner or my next day's clothes. As for performance, I've only used it a dozen or so times, but every time I slept very comfortably. If I were to highlight an area of concern, it would be the the footbox, as it seems that the down likes to move around in the back panel. Otherwise, the down migration is a minimum and the bag maintained its loft even when it got pretty drenched, except for the back panel, yet that could be fixed by wearing socks. I would recommend checking it out.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

AyeYo wrote:Something I could reasonably pack into my 65L for backpacking would be nice. Weight doesn't concern me too much, just more exercise. The current bag is like 3.5lbs, so maybe just nothing heavier than that. I prefer side zip, mummy style. As I said in the OP, under $300 would be nice, but I realize that's asking a lot for under $300.
Looks like Mountain Hard Wear replaced their Phantom 32/15/0 naming with Phantom Spark/Flame/Torch. If you find a NOS Ph32 for sale it should be under $300.

Here's the Spark for $262 + $11 ship. It's 800-Fill down, 1 lb 6 oz, mummy, 4 in bag loft (2"/layer), and EN rated to 28F or 36F comfort. They also sell the Flame (15F, 2lb 4oz) for $336 and Torch (3F,, 2lb 12oz) for $385. Any will fit in a 65L pack.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

I've had this bag for over 5 years now, and still going strong:

http://www.ems.com/ems-mountain-light-2 ... ml#start=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Realistically, I consider it more of a 30F bag. That said, at 2.5 lbs, and currently on sale at $170, it's pretty damn good value and does the job for most adventures from late spring through early fall - which sounds like what you're looking for. The only downside is, being an EMS product, you can't go to a store and look at it, and can only get it online.
twystoflemon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by twystoflemon »

delay filter response:

The Mountain Hardwear Phantom / Phantasia series are super lightweight and pack down well. mine has done well with condensation on the down. Beware that the 32 F rated bags do *not* have draft collars (why oh why!?!). i found that even though my phantasia 32 was rated for 32 F for women (EN "comfort" rating), it came nowhere close to that rating even with a liner. i think i must sleep colder than average for women, but the lack of draft collar made the problem worse. The zippers on the phantasia are lightweight; though generally functional, you have to hold them a particular way to get smooth sliding. the zipper can be annoying but isn't a deal breaker given the low weight of the bag. for mild temperatures (>40 F), i would totally recommend the bag.

if your girlfriend is looking for a new bag too and the manufacturer doesn't have the EN ratings, then just add 10-15 F to the unisex temperature rating, maybe more if she's a cold sleeper like me.

-kat
elcap5
14ers: 53  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elcap5 »

I've slept under the stars for a few years in all seasons in tents and open bivy's and have the following suggestion. Go for a high quality minimum 800 fill down bag and pick up a quality sleeping bag liner. Having worked in the mountaineering industry I am partial to Marmot bags due to their high quality, light weight and accurate temp ratings.

Sea to Summit has a range of sleeping bag liners that depending on the model can add 10-25 degrees of added warmth to any bag. Just use the liner as you would if layering with clothing. Also, as mentioned in earlier posts, it all starts with a decent insulated ground pad.

Here's a link to one of the best Marmot bags on the market, and it's on sale!
http://www.moontrail.com/marmot-helium.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun shopping!