Sleeping bag recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sglm14
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 74 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sleeping bag recommendations

Post by Sglm14 »

I have a Coleman sleeping bag that I bought at Walmart about 4 years ago. Good for below zero if I remember correctly. I took it to Kilimanjaro two years ago and it kept me warm even when I slept at 15,000 ft! I also have a North Face 20 degree sleeping bag which I used in the San Juans recently. Both were great but I have to say, I love my Coleman! Just a pain to pack it is all :-) Good luck!!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Another vote for Mountain Hardware's Phantom line. Saw the 32F for $285 (last year's colors) and they also have warmer ones like a 15-20 and a 0F, as well as a 45F, if memory serves. The 32F packs down to a bit bigger than a 32oz powerade bottle. Lower rated bags will pack bigger and vice versa. It's a mummy (shape that packs smallest), but some like rectangles, tapered, open tops, quilts, etc. and there are several good manufacturers out there. Remember that ratings are for survival, not comfort, though you can boost them by wearing your fleece, puffy and other clothing. What traits in a bag are you looking for? Rating? Packed size? Weight? Shape? Zippers and openings? Price? ...
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
cschmidt1023
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cschmidt1023 »

Reviews on marmot sorcerer reveal that a lot of people find it warm and nice.

Basically you need a 0 degree bag (or even lower?), a liner, or a down parka you can wear inside your bag.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

do you store your sleeping bag uncompressed? Storing it compressed long term will make it less insulating
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Trotter wrote:do you store your sleeping bag uncompressed? Storing it compressed long term will make it less insulating
And if so, you might try re-lofting it by putting it in the dryer on air with a few tennis balls. If dirty, a wash and similar dry following maker's instructions may help too.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

TallGrass wrote:
Trotter wrote:do you store your sleeping bag uncompressed? Storing it compressed long term will make it less insulating
And if so, you might try re-lofting it by putting it in the dryer on air with a few tennis balls. If dirty, a wash and similar dry following maker's instructions may help too.
The Sorcerer is a synthetic bag, so tennis balls won't do anything good to it. Tennis balls can break up clumps of wet down but with the Sorcerer, you are just bashing around the synthetic fill.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

gspup wrote:
AyeYo wrote:I can survive a cool night or two. I don't plan to camp much at sub 30 degree temps anyway. What I currently don't have is a bag that even keeps me comfortable at 45 degrees. If there's a "20 degree" bag out there with a rating that means "comfortable to 20 degrees", that's good enough for me. I'm pretty sure my bag is rated at "51% chance of surviving a night at 20 degrees".
It was 45 degress at kite lake when you camped there at 11K ?
No, it was in the mid to high 30s there, but we also had blankets on the bags. I've been cold as high as 45 degrees.
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

TallGrass wrote:Another vote for Mountain Hardware's Phantom line. Saw the 32F for $285 (last year's colors) and they also have warmer ones like a 15-20 and a 0F, as well as a 45F, if memory serves. The 32F packs down to a bit bigger than a 32oz powerade bottle. Lower rated bags will pack bigger and vice versa. It's a mummy (shape that packs smallest), but some like rectangles, tapered, open tops, quilts, etc. and there are several good manufacturers out there. Remember that ratings are for survival, not comfort, though you can boost them by wearing your fleece, puffy and other clothing. What traits in a bag are you looking for? Rating? Packed size? Weight? Shape? Zippers and openings? Price? ...
Something I could reasonably pack into my 65L for backpacking would be nice. Weight doesn't concern me too much, just more exercise. The current bag is like 3.5lbs, so maybe just nothing heavier than that. I prefer side zip, mummy style. As I said in the OP, under $300 would be nice, but I realize that's asking a lot for under $300. I do about 70/30 car camp/backpack, so it would be nice if it's backpackable, but I'll make some compromises in weight/size to save money.

Anyone have experience with Big Agnes bags?
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

AyeYo wrote:
TallGrass wrote:Another vote for Mountain Hardware's Phantom line. Saw the 32F for $285 (last year's colors) and they also have warmer ones like a 15-20 and a 0F, as well as a 45F, if memory serves. The 32F packs down to a bit bigger than a 32oz powerade bottle. Lower rated bags will pack bigger and vice versa. It's a mummy (shape that packs smallest), but some like rectangles, tapered, open tops, quilts, etc. and there are several good manufacturers out there. Remember that ratings are for survival, not comfort, though you can boost them by wearing your fleece, puffy and other clothing. What traits in a bag are you looking for? Rating? Packed size? Weight? Shape? Zippers and openings? Price? ...
Something I could reasonably pack into my 65L for backpacking would be nice. Weight doesn't concern me too much, just more exercise. The current bag is like 3.5lbs, so maybe just nothing heavier than that. I prefer side zip, mummy style. As I said in the OP, under $300 would be nice, but I realize that's asking a lot for under $300. I do about 70/30 car camp/backpack, so it would be nice if it's backpackable, but I'll make some compromises in weight/size to save money.

Anyone have experience with Big Agnes bags?
Under $300 is possible. I recently used the Marmot Never Summer which is $289 but I have seen it on sale for under $230. Also the Mountain Hardwear suggestion is good, as they make some decent bags.

You might not be able to get under 3.5 lbs and also under $300, but you do have some options.
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

I did see the Never Summer. That's definitely one of the options in the running.

Also looking at this one:

https://jet.com/product/detail/a7966d78 ... lsrc=aw.ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

AyeYo wrote:
gspup wrote:
AyeYo wrote:I can survive a cool night or two. I don't plan to camp much at sub 30 degree temps anyway. What I currently don't have is a bag that even keeps me comfortable at 45 degrees. If there's a "20 degree" bag out there with a rating that means "comfortable to 20 degrees", that's good enough for me. I'm pretty sure my bag is rated at "51% chance of surviving a night at 20 degrees".
It was 45 degress at kite lake when you camped there at 11K ?
No, it was in the mid to high 30s there, but we also had blankets on the bags. I've been cold as high as 45 degrees.
Like someone said, the bag rating will be for survival not comfort. Get a 0 down bag and be done, you'll be happy and warm every night.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I purchased a 20 degree down bag from STP. It kept me perfectly warm last weekend in sub-freezing temperatures. If I have a foam and air ground pad, I can push it down to ~10 degrees. With the appropriate STP coupons, the following Marmot bag should fit your price range:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot ... pe!down%2F