Footwear advice?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
coloradoan4christ
Trip Reports (0)

Footwear advice?

Post by coloradoan4christ »

Colorado native, newbie climber, interested in easy and moderate 14ers only (class 3 max), 21 years old, female, suffers from plantar fasciitis.

Headed to do my first 14er (Grays or Bierstadt - haven't decided yet) in a week or two and hoping to get something good before then. Or would my running tennis shoes work fine for those climbs? Hoping not to spend more than between $60-$100. Thanks!
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Footwear advice?

Post by summitrunner »

I really love a comfy pair of trail running shoes when I hike. I could tell you brands makes models etc., but it is all based off of your foot type, comfort, and style. Go to a local running store and try on a pair of trail runners. Find a pair in your price range that fit your foot. Be sure to explain your foot condition. Trail runners often have a stiffer ride and could be wider. The stiffness is the plate in the sole to protect your foot from rocks, roots, etc. Make sure they are flashy!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
gzrrnnr
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gzrrnnr »

I have not used boots for decades on 14ers and 13ers. The advice in the previous post is good, and I would add make sure the toe box is big enough for swollen feet on long downhills. Black toenails should be avoided. Brooks Cascadias and trail shoes from New Balance, Saucony, and Ascics will be good for what you want to do. There are many other brands out there, and some are really good technical shoes, but you probably don't need those. Also, a lot of trail runners are on sale this time of year, but get a pair that do what you need them to do (good tread, rock plate, toe box, toe bumper on the front, etc.). Saving a few bucks seems like a good idea, right up to the point where you have hobble a few miles with blisters because the shoe does not fit. Then you will be surprised at what you would have paid to be pain free. Find a shoe store that sells trail shoes and a salesperson who knows what they are talking about (Sorry, Sports Chalet ain't it IMNVHO). Good luck!!!
higgy
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by higgy »

I too have suffered from plantar fasciitis. Oboz has a pretty good arch support, but like many others, I prefer a trail runner. I usually put in the Sole inserts. They give me a little more rigidity and support. Then wear Chacos the rest of the time.
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Trail runners and approach shoes work just fine.