Brooks Range Mountaineering Sleeping Bags?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Brooks Range Mountaineering Sleeping Bags?

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Does anybody have experience with Brooks Range Mountaineering sleeping bags and can comment on the quality level of their products? Looking at a few options for a nice winter bag that will do it all and get a generous discount on Brooks Range gear through work. I currently have a Western Mountaineering Apache 15 and a Katabatic Gear Alsek 22; would rather shell out the dough on a good bag rather than save a little bit and end up with a bag that is just ok.

Brooks Range Drift -10 Long - http://www.brooks-range.com/Drift-10-Sl ... p/5025.htm
Weight: 50 ounces
Fill Weight: 39 ounces (850 down)

Western Mountaineering Lynx (-10) Long - http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sl ... s/lynx-mf/
Weight: 53 ounces
Fill Weight: 34 ounces (850 down)

Marmot Col Membrain Long (-20) - https://marmot.com/products/details/col-membrain-long
Weight: 73 ounces (tougher shell material)
Fill Weight: 42 ounces (800 down)
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Brooks Range Mountaineering Sleeping Bags?

Post by Double Oh Seven »

I bought a drift -10 this summer so i havent tried it anywhere except my living room floor. I was looking at the western mountaneering but found the drift for 30% off about 530 dollars or so. I have some other gear from BR ( jacket and snow saw) and have been happy with it. A few magazine reviews of drift bags in general convinced me. The bag itself seems nice with plenty of loft im 5'11 172 and can fit comfortably. Its made in china (which i really dont view as a bad thing) and quality seems good. Lightweight as well. Baffles are vertical really not sure if thats good bad or neutral. All in all no reason to think i wont be happy with it particularly at the price point
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Have you thought about doubling up with a much wider quilt on top of your Alsek? One time in Canyonlands in late November I used my Katabatic Palisade with a Nunatuk 20 degree twin quilt around it for a double quilt. Probably around 4.5-5" of loft. An XWide, long 20 degree EE Enigma quilt would probably wrap around the Alsek, but you should measure it first. That would give you ~5" of loft which is well into sub zero territory. At a total weight of about 41oz, that is is pretty darn light for only $255. You'd need a good down hood and sleeping pad though.

I'm not the only one to try this, Trauma and Pepper used a Katabatic Palisade + MLD (?) synthetic quilt combo for their winter PCT thru hike.
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

I have a BR Drift 15 for my job that I have spent 50+ nights in this summer. It seems to have plenty of loft, and I didn't have any trouble staying toasty during a handful of nights just below freezing.

The shell material is light, if a little thin and fragile - I have one small tear where it got caught in the zipper and I tried to force it out. More user error than a design flaw. The stuff sack that came with it brings it down to about 6" by 14", but could be smaller with a true stuff sack.

If recommend it to a friend, especially if they had a discount on it
The only time I lower the bar is après
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Thanks for the information, everybody.

Ezabielski- I've briefly thought about the double quilt option. I love my Katabatic quilt for 3-season use, but prefer a solid sleeping bag with hood and draft collar in the winter.

Still debating a few options, but kinda leaning towards the Marmot Col and just being done with sleeping bag purchases
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

I have a Mountain Hardware -15 Lumina, that's pretty nice. Never heard of Brooks Range Mountaineering, but you cannot go wrong with a Marmot or Western Mountaineering.