Lightweight 30 degree Sleeping Bag

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Lightweight 30 degree Sleeping Bag

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Based on price vs performance I've narrowed it down to 3 I like. I know I could drop a cool 425$ on a western mtneering but not sure the extra $100+ is worth it. I would be pairing the bags with an accordion sleeping pad most likely.

Here are the 3:
Marmot Quark 30 - $290, 1# 9oz ---> always been a sucker for marmot bags

Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy 800 Sleeping Bag (30 degree) - $224, 1# 11oz ---> bag looks pretty solid for the sale price but have no experience with the company, any thoughts on sierra designs?

Enlightened Equipment Revelation - $240, 1# (!) ---> This one I'm most intrigued on as its actually a quilt.
I would be really curious about anyones experience with a similar type bag.

Thanks a bunch for any feedback!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Lightweight 30 degree Sleeping Bag

Post by herdbull »

not to muddy the waters but......

http://www.everestgear.com/mohamosp32st1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.moontrail.com/marmot-hydrogen-reg.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.moontrail.com/mhw-phantom-spark-regular.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

I bought a Sierra Designs Zissou 12° bag 3 years ago; I spend 20+ nights a year in the bag and it's clearly not made for that type of use as I am already in need of a new bag. I have cared for and stored the bag as I should but there at least 3 baffles that have ZERO down left in them. My 12° won't keep me warm at 40° due to the low quality of the product. I will not buy SD bags ever and I'm currently looking at a Feathered Friends bag. I bought a Marmot bag but didn't like the fit so I returned it a got the Zissou, should have kept the uncomfortable Marmot ](*,)
I'm slower than Scott P.
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Checkout Mountain Hardware.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

+1 for MH Phantoms. Good product, good support.

-1 for Sierra Designs. Their customer support is a joke. Couldn't be sure they weren't medicated based on their "Dave's not here" manner.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

I always liked the Big Agnes bags because they leave out the insulation on the bottom (since you have a pad there) and can therefore give you more width for the same weight.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I would stay away from Sierra Designs for anything other than car camping. I personally HATE Big Agnes bags since my big butt always gets cold. Other people love them but perhaps they are built differently than me. :lol: Marmot makes quality products generally. I bought my lightweight bags from STP based on what was on sale. I ended up with a good Vaude 20 degree bag that can extend into 2.5 season activities. Unfortunately that e-tailer hasn't been as good ever since their acquisition by TJX. My son has a Western Mountaineering 20 degree bag that has lasted for seven amazing years. He must have had over 2000 miles of expeditions with that blue wonder. That equates to about 25 cents per mile of pure joy. Combined with a 10 ounce ZPack, a lightweight thin foam groundpad (found a perfect one discarded on San Gorgonio Mountain), and a homemade Tyvek bivy sack and you can easily go on summer overnight non-technical trips with under ten pounds on your back. Do look into a ultralight backpack since that can be far more weight savings than achievable from an expensive sleeping bag.

Low weight is a gamechanger if you do frequent backpacking trips. With a heavy load, a 5 mile hike uphill is a struggle. With the right equipment you can be maintaining a normal pace without getting fatigued for 10-15 miles. I would guestimate that only a couple percent of Colorado backpackers have really embraced ultralight gear.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I have a marmot helium (15deg) bag and love it. It's held up well over a decade of use. But it wasn't as light or small as I wanted for summer backpacking. I went with a Montbell spiral down hugger, since it shrinks down to nothing. I chose a 40F bag, but they also have a 30 bag too. They have a store in town if you want to bike there. The whole brand is about light weight.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

keep in mind the marmot you have listed is actually a 37F EN comfort temperature rating
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
j babu
Trip Reports (0)

Post by j babu »

Not what you want to hear, but I really have been happy with my 32 degree western mountaineering bag. (I have torn the shell and patched it once.) It's everything I want 3-seasons. Cost is a one-time pain, while the joy of quality gives and gives (and needs replacing less often).
$.02
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

The EE quilt is awesome. It's leagues ahead of the rest in terms of weight compared to everything mentioned so far in this thread and by far the cheapest. If you're willing to go to a quilt I think it's a no brainer.

EE Rev 30 degree, regular length, regular width, 800 fill - 16.3oz (get 950 fill for $50 more to save another ounce)
SD Mobile Mummy 30, regular length - 27oz
Marmot Quark, regular length - 25oz

I have a Katabatic Palisade 30 degree quilt (another awesome bag, basically the same weight as the EE depending on options) and I love it. I've used it for about 3500 miles now and I've never looked back after going to a quilt for summer use. If you look around quilts v. sleeping bags has been discussed to death on several forums.
Last edited by ezabielski on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

Another plus for Western...I spend no less than 50-60 nights a year(every year) in mine,and im nearing 6 full years with it now and its just as good as the day I bought it....and I bet I get another easy 6+ years or more before needing to get another...jus my.O2 as well...