Quiz: Survive being lost?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Ever gotten lost on a hike?

No, never.
21%
Yes, but I "found" my way that day.
77%
Yes, and it cost me a day or more.
1%
Yep, still lost, but my iPhone has 4 bars.
1%

Total votes: 73
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Quiz: Survive being lost?

Post by TallGrass »

Here's a short 14Q quiz. There's at least one "right" answer which doesn't jive with it's question.
http://www.mnn.com/family/protection-sa ... -the-woods
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Quiz: Survive being lost?

Post by spiderman »

I disagree with a significant number of their answers... I think that it was not written by an experienced hiker.
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

Internet dribble.
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

Drivel too.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

I got lost on the internet once, went missing for hours. They found me facedown on the keyboard. Apparently I became weak from studying huge masses of mostly useless words searching for bits of useful information. From now on I'm staying outside.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Apparently I have no business going out hiking and backpacking.
please rotate your device
wegerje
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wegerje »

My daughter and I weren't lost. We had just lost the trail. So technically it was the trail that was lost not us. We knew where we were. In the middle of the San Pedro Wilderness in N New Mexico. Since it was day one we pressed on with map and compass spending night one in a snowless spot. We spent all of day two post holing. Damn that's slow going. By the middle of day three on a paved road we learned we were only nine miles from the Continental Divide Trail we had started on. The next time we waited until the snow was mostly gone and brought a GPS. That time the one day part only took a day.
Jeff Wegerson
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Wait what? Who the hell hasn't gotten lost on a hike? Or do we mean something different by "lost"? If you end up off trail bushwhacking through dense forest for hours does that not qualify?

And the last question [SPOILERS]...the best way to avoid getting lost is to tell someone where you're going? How...would that...stop you...from getting...lost?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

^thought the same thing about that question. It "might" help somwone find you, if you haven't deviated far.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Define "Lost"

Off trail, missed a turn, bushwacking.... Yes.
Not knowing where I was or where I needed to go... No.
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CHeimCO »

6/14. You better take away my wilderness survival merit badge.

I've been lost (off course) once and I only knew I descended the wrong ridge because I entered a large medow and knew exactly where I was. Result: lost an hour and hiked an extra two miles. Study the map before hand!
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

There is off route, and then there is way off route. I once missed a turn-off and we went up the wrong valley. Nothing looked right, and then we realized we were miles from where we should be. But I’m not sure that would be considered “Lost” as we always had the ability to backtrack. So I’m going with “No”, which is a good thing because I stunk up that test.
Century Bound, eventually.