Hoka One One TOR Tech Mid

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
beerhiker
14ers: 10 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Hoka One One TOR Tech Mid

Post by beerhiker »

Hello, does anyone have experience with these boots? I tried them on and man were they comfortable, wondering if any one has any experience with them as far as stability, wear etc..
Thanks
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hoka One One TOR Tech Mid

Post by mtgirl »

I can't comment on their boots. I can comment on the wear of Hoka's trail running shoes. I've had two pairs of Stinsons and a pair of Challengers, and I've been extremely disappointed in how quickly the soles shred and break down. For the cost, I'd expect them to hold up better than they do. Comfortable ? Hell yes. Hope their boots last longer than their running shoes do.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

I haven't tried their boots, but I have a pair of Challengers, and in addition to the flimsy sole construction (bits of rubber that will fall off, bare exposed midsole), they are terribly unstable on talus or scree larger than a golf ball. They're comfy enough on gravel roads, but that's about it.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I have a pair of these,

http://www.hokaoneone.com/tor-summit-wp/1008980.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the sole has held up fine, as did the upper. The midsole gets a little crushed, though (which happens to all shoes, really, but there's just much more midsole TO crush!). I bought them initially to help me hobble up and down the local hill with a very sprained + impinged ankle.

I've used them for a winter-weather ascent of Pikes, and they're OK. A LOT heavier than what I'm used to (trail running shoes), and I mostly used them for a service industry job, where I was on my feet for whatever slave wage shift I was indentured to do. I've also ridden a bike with them from Woodland Park, to Boulder (100 miles), which is hilarious in retrospect, but not something I'm interested in repeating.

They're a little on the narrow side somewhat surprisingly, so I wouldn't think about buying another pair of Hokas, just for that. The upper is pretty tough, and the waterproofness is what I would expect. If they would fit better, and were slightly lighter, I would consider them for a long-distance thru-hike or something like that. I don't normally wear boots, unless I need like, an actual, non-hiking crampon to stick on them.

I'm sure Jeff V. has some ideas on Hoka's high-top selection, as I see his Hoka tracks in the winter ;)
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

justiner wrote: I'm sure Jeff V. has some ideas on Hoka's high-top selection, as I see his Hoka tracks in the winter ;)
Yeah, I have an even more beefed up version of the Tors discussed here, the Tor Ultra Hi WP. Though I do recognize and concur with Hoka outsole durability issues in certain models (under certain circumstances), there are some Hokas out there with outsole wear rates that are on par with most other shoes. Sticking to the Tor though, I have found durability to be very good, better actually than most other Hokas and in line with any other shoe of the like. They are pricey, but if you can find a pair on discount, I would highly suggest going that route, maybe even check Craigslist/eBay, as they often pop up as used once or twice, but didn't fit right or whatever. Even at retail though, price is in line with competitors. Below is a link to my review, I highly recommend them! (if the shoe fits of course).
http://www.roadtrailrun.com/2015/11/rev ... hi-wp.html
aLiEn
14ers: 58  5  3 
13ers: 149 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aLiEn »

Review here:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Bo ... mit-Mid-WP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
beerhiker
14ers: 10 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beerhiker »

Great review Jeff V, thanks!
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

I have the same pair Jeff V does and they are my go to 3 season boot. I've used them with strap crampons for late season couloirs, was out hiking in 0 degree temps through the snow last weekend, these boots are awesome! They do great in snow, just throw a pair of gaiters on and use appropriate socks. A little warm for summer but manageable. The bottoms do wear out with scrambling and excessive talus hopping.

Now if only Altra would make a high top version of their Olympus shoe...