Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:00 pm

geeze thanks alot, bill. this is a great thing to show to a poor college student who owns a garmin gps. :lol:

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:37 am

It really is good stuff! Finally, someone took the time to get these maps to the public.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby dsunwall » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:59 am

hey, thanks for posting this, looks like the ticket to quickly locate your position on your paper map, which would be very helpful.

Postby skier25 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:22 am

Sweet!!! I held off from buying that other mapping software until they came out with some better maps. :)
Last edited by skier25 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby ontopoftheworld » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:52 am

A little off-topic, but I'm having problems and wondering if anyone else is...

I recently bought a brand spanking new Garmin eTrex Vista Cx. I have hiked maybe 50 miles with it so far. If I'm hiking below treeline, it loses signal more often than I would like. If I'm hiking above treeline, weird things happen. I hiked Bierstadt last week, and by the time I got to the summit, it said I had traveled something like 50 miles from Guanalla Pass! It plots random points miles away from where I am. I just noticed a setting this morning that will hopefully solve some of those problems - I had 'Lock on Road' set to on. I hope the solves it, but I'm not confident it will.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions to make it work better? Should I take it back to REI?

Postby ktimm » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:27 pm

I have an older Rhino 130 with 24 meg memory and no Mapsource. Looks like you need Mapsource for the demo. Has anyone verified these will work without mapsource on a Rhino 130 ? My main PC is a Mac but I have a XP machine available. If I know it will work I'll buy

Postby MtnHermit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:11 pm

dsunwall wrote:looks like the ticket to quickly locate your position on your paper map,
While your statement is true, it kinda misses the whole point of 24K maps inside your GPS. As a long time user, 2-months ;) ;), having the GPS position pointer show your exact position on the map as you move is a huge advantage in off trail hiking or climbing. Also you can have the whole state inside the GPS at one time, ever try that much paper?

As an example, a couple of weeks ago I climbed Columbia via Frenchman Creek, on the way up the heavy runoff washed out the trail. I pulled out the GPS, saw that the trail was closer to the creek and angled toward the creek and picked up the trail in a few hundred yards.

Later, I was near the east ridge and I had to decide between going to the ridge top or around the north side. By seeing my exact position relative to the contours, I was able to save a couple of hundred feet by skirting the minor summit. IIRC, I didn't have a paper map with me nor did I miss it.

On Thursday, I was on Mill-Veil Pass at 13K and below me in Veil Basin was a 3-story mine building. I had both paper, Delorme scanned 24K topo, and AtT's 24K GPS maps, neither showed the building but the scanned map showed the mine as a "Y" whereas the GPS map showed the mine as "Lewis Mine". So at least I had a start on a future search.

FWIW
Hermit

Postby MtnHermit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:33 pm

ktimm wrote:I have an older Rhino 130 with 24 meg memory and no Mapsource. Looks like you need Mapsource for the demo. Has anyone verified these will work without mapsource on a Rhino 130 ? My main PC is a Mac but I have a XP machine available. If I know it will work I'll buy
There's a freeware out there called Img2GPS. It'll install Garmin img files to any Garmin GPS via USB or a serial cable. Install the demo, you'll have 4-img files, then use Img2GPS to send those four files to your Rhino.

Alternatively, you can buy Mapsource by getting the Trips and Waypoint Mgr CD from Amazon for ~$30.

Perhaps Bill knows how to get the down-loadable version of Mapsource to think you already own a copy of Mapsource, I don't. It may be nothing more than a file named Mapsource.exe in the folder Garmin? Maybe its a registry entry?

HTH
Hermit

Postby centrifuge » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:22 pm

I am definitly going to be saving for this...

Staying on the GPS subject, but a little off topic... does anyone else have issues with their GPSMAP 60CS's total elevation gain function. Mine dosnt even come close to giving acurate elevation gain, I always thought it was a flaw in the software, but today while I was out with 2 other people that have them found out that thiers dont have this issue. Any thoughts??

Postby red_5 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:50 pm

very interesting.. I"m going to read up on this.

thanks for the post!

Above the Timber IP

Postby mntnplay » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:53 pm

One question that was raised in another forum was that of intellectual property (IP). I'll repost my e-mail and Roger's response here to help spread the word...
---------Original e-snail-------------
Hey there,

Some folks and I on 14erWorld are very interested in using your product in our GPSs since it appears to address many of the critical shortcomings of onboard maps. One question raised in the forum was how your product addressed the DMCA and intellectual property (IP) rights. What steps have you taken to ensure that you’re not (and we’re not :-) violating any copyrights or other intellectual property protections? Is this even a concern?

Thanks,
---------Roger's response---------
These maps did NOT exist before I began, they are not a copy of any other product in existence. All the source data is public domain available to anyone. I simply manipulated that data to make it meaningful in the context of a Garmin GPS receiver. The finished product carries the copyright of Above the Timber for the unique value added in creating the maps.

In no case is a map purchaser at risk for using the maps. Copying and re-distribution of Above the Timber's maps is of course prohibited.

Hope this helps.
Roger
"You're off to great places, it says. Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way."
- Dr. Seuss, "Oh, The Places You'll Go"

Maps for eTrex

Postby 5280Fotos » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:50 pm

Wow! I almost got excited there for a moment. Somebody email me when Garmin opens there eyes to Mac please. For now I just plot my breadcrumb trail from the handheld into my National Geographic Topos on the Mac. Still does a pretty good job of what and where I've been and to build profiles. Laborious & not exact though.

Very cool none the less.
"There is no try, only do" - Yoda

PreviousNext