RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by zdero1 »

I had the privilege of conversing with Rob at the N. Cottonwood TH this May the night before our separate ascents of Harvard. I remember when he told me his name was "Rob Jansen" I reacted like a groupie and said "Oh my god you write the best TRs!" Rob struck me as the type of person you want to be friends with. We crossed paths on Harvard the next day and just before the thunderstorms on Tab/Shav later that month. As a slower and more inexperienced climber, I always appreciated the encouragmenet and advice he gave me on the trail. As I was slogging up Yale in June, Rob's 2hr 30min trail run car to car up the standard route of Yale frequently crossed my mind and subsequently blew it! Rob was always generous with his time and did not hesitate to help a fellow climber, as evidenced by our correspondence via PM.

Robs TRs and contributions to this site and to our community are remarkable to say the least. I remember my hands becoming sweaty and white just looking at some of his pictures, and I remember being deeply touched by his TRs of Holy Cross and North Maroon, where his love of family, nature, and life itself were on full display.

I am profoundly saddened by this loss, but grateful for having met him and learned from such a passionate and exceptional climber. My deepest sympathies go out to Rob's family, friends, and to our community.

If members of our community plan on getting together to remember/honor Rob, I would want to be there to pay my respects and to offer support. Please keep me updated.

Mike Zdero
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

His exuberance was evident to those who only knew him peripherally. He brought a lot of positive energy to this community. His trip reports were great, with team spirit always shining through. The camaraderie of that tight group of friends and climbing partners is inspirational. I wish all his friends and family the support and love that they need during this tough time.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

This is tremendously sad. I will keep Rob, his friends and family, and the entire 14ers community in my prayers. All of us feel this loss.

Rest in Peace, Rob.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
thevagabond
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thevagabond »

Rest in Peace buddy, I can't believe your gone. You will be greatly missed by many, I always admired Rob as a fellow hiker. My condolences to his family and friends :(
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

While I only met him and his swimming trunks once, I viewed him as one I would like to hang with. I am sorry for the hole he leaves in the hearts of his family and to those here who had the privilege if getting to know him. My prayers are with you.

Barry
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

I never had the privilege of meeting Rob, but considered him a friend by extension, and I know Jeff, Darrin and Otina completed Capitol yesterday with the heaviest of heavy hearts. For Rob's family and companions, Terry, Bill, Dan and those young men that I've still not met, Dillon, Tyler, and Greg(and anyone that knew him), I can only offer my deepest heartfelt sympathy.
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I remember reading Rob's report recently for Mount of the Holy Cross, that he had climbed with his best partner, his Dad. It was obvious how much he loved hiking the mountains and how much he cherished his time with his Father.
Those are some memories that Mr. Jansen will cherish for a long time.

To Rob's family, I'm sorry for your loss.
To Rob's friends back east, I'm sorry.

To Rob's climbing friends here, I'm sorry that you've lost a partner, and a friend. I'm sorry this site has lost another contributor, one that came across as positive and fun loving.

To Greg, Dan, Tyler, & Dillon...my thoughts are with you guys. It's a tough position to be in where you are, but stick together and support each other. You have my support. You guys will get through it and be stronger as human beings. Rob would want that, and I'm sure you know that.
Tyler, get well man, and keep climbing!

Climb on, Rob. Thanks for being a part of 14ers.com.

-Darin
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

My deepest condolences to Rob's friends and family.

I never met Rob before but based on his contributions to this community, it is easy to see why he was so loved.
csmcgranahan
14ers: 40 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by csmcgranahan »

I never formally met Rob but recognize his name from his trip reports and other posts. RIP.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

Very sad news. My sincere condolences to Rob's Family and friends.
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

There are no words to express the sadness of a loss of such an inspiring young man as Rob. I met him in October of 2011 on a group hike on Quandary Peak...I remember he had a banner pinned to his coat that read "rjansen77" and, at the time, I asked him what it meant, as I was a newbie to 14ers.com. So kind and friendly he was. It has been my pleasure to read about his accomplishments over the year and to see and speak to him on occasion at the 14er happy hours in Denver. The 14er community has lost a wonderful member. RIP Rob...and may your family and friends know that you will be in the hearts of so many. ~Cookiehiker (Noel)
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

RIP. My heart goes out to his friends and family.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth