RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by rking007 »

This is just so so sad... Rob, while I never met you in person, I always appreciated it when you posted your thoughts here and above all, I loved your trail reports. You were nothing less than an amazing person and it's just terrible that the community has lost one like you. Peace and rest to you now as you climb higher than ever before with the one who smiled on you while you explored the high places of this life. You will not be forgotten.

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys today, Dan, Dillon and Tyler and all the others here that knew him. We are praying for you Tyler, get through surgery and heal fast. Strength, peace, and hope to your family Rob as they walk these days ahead.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

For someone I barely knew, I'm shocked at how hard this hits.
RIP, Rob. You're a good soul.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Oh man..wow...just so very sad. RIP Rob.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Shock does not even come close to describing the feelings some of us are having at the moment. Rob and I traded e-mails daily. He always had a way of making me laugh. The last conversation I had with Rob was through facebook chat. I was trying to recruit him for Denali. The last thing I said to him just before I signed off was how talented I thought he was as a mountaineer and how much potential he had to do other big peaks outside of Colorado. I remember telling him that he would be great to have on a big trip like that not only for his skill but how he makes everything about being in the mountains fun. Rob I love you buddy. You will be with me and the others every time we head into the hills.

I pray that Greg, Dillion, Dan, and Tyler can all recover from this. I am here for you guys, whatever you need.
Attachments
Rob, Greg and I on Humbolt after earlier climbing the Needle in the back left of photo.jpg
Rob, Greg and I on Humbolt after earlier climbing the Needle in the back left of photo.jpg (71.09 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
Ben, Jeff, me and Rob on Greys in Winter.jpg
Ben, Jeff, me and Rob on Greys in Winter.jpg (76.46 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
Rob loved this photo I took of him, James, Greg, and Jeff coming up Broken Hand Pass.
Rob loved this photo I took of him, James, Greg, and Jeff coming up Broken Hand Pass.
IMG_1296.JPG (68.83 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

kushrocks wrote:Shock does not even come close to describing the feelings some of us are having at the moment. Rob and I traded e-mails daily. He always had a way of making me laugh. The last conversation I had with Rob was through facebook chat. I was trying to recruit him for Denali. The last thing I said to him just before I signed off was how talented I thought he was as a mountaineer and how much potential he had to do other big peaks outside of Colorado. I remember telling him that he would be great to have on a big trip like that not only for his skill but how he makes everything about being in the mountains fun. Rob I love you buddy. You will be with me and the others every time we head into the hills.

I pray that Greg, Dillion, Dan, and Tyler can all recover from this. I am here for you guys, whatever you need.

Agreed, Ryan. What a strong climber he was and would have been great outside of Colorado. He was a wise friend, both as a climber and in the real world. Our last conversation was also through Facebook chat...talking of the finisher weekend on Sneffels, how excited he was for Chicago Basin and me asking his advice for the Teton route.

This one definitely hits hard. Hasn't begun to sink in yet...

Run forever above the clouds...look upon the mountains that you loved so much.
Last edited by I Man on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

I didn't know him, but I know that we both have a common love for life, and the outdoors. Rip.
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Rob obviously had a deep impact on everyone who had the fortune of knowing him. He was a very positive member of this community, and there is no doubt he will be missed by many. Condolences to all his family and friends, I’m sorry for your loss.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

RIP Rob, we only met once briefly, but you seemed like a very genuine, positive person. The amount of support you have from this community speaks volumes.

You will certainly be missed.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

RIP, Rob - I always enjoyed your contributions here, and I learned a lot. :(
ketel1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ketel1 »

d_baker wrote:I remember reading Rob's report recently for Mount of the Holy Cross, that he had climbed with his best partner, his Dad. It was obvious how much he loved hiking the mountains and how much he cherished his time with his Father.
Those are some memories that Mr. Jansen will cherish for a long time.

-Darin
I agree. Though I never climbed with him or knew him, I did meet him and I do remember the fabulous swim trunks and great TRs. I, too, wanted to point out his TR with his dad climbing Holy Cross. It is very telling as to the kind of man he was. I suggest all of you read it. It will lift your spirits, and break your heart. My condolences to all his family, friends, and others that he came in contact with. He will be greatly missed. I hope Tyler makes a speedy recovery.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

This thread is both saddening and heartening to read. My sincere condolences to everyone here who knew Rob, as well as his family. May he rest in peace.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Wishing the best for his family and friends in this difficult time. Rest in peace Rob....
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright