RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
beazleys
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (16)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by beazleys »

A friend and I had the good fortune of being on North Maroon the same day as Rob and his Dad. It was 30 minutes of genial banter, with our four expansive grins only outdone by the bluebird sky and high peaks in every direction. Amidst small talk and jokes about mountain goats, the passion and enthusiasm that both Rob and his Dad had for the mountains was plain to see, as was their enjoyment of one another's company.

Rob asked to join us on a one-day Capitol effort a few weeks later, but I declined as I barely knew him. He respected that decision and we still traded emails, but never did link up for a climb together. With the clarity of hindsight, I wish he had joined us, as he obviously had the fitness and attitude that would have had us all grinning, as we chased each other across the sky.

Rob, may you now find yourself in a place ringed by peace and high peaks, and have the knowledge that you left an impression in your far too short 24 years on many people, even those who only shared 30 minutes with you.
siop
Trip Reports (0)

Post by siop »

I was honored to be paced by Rob for the Leadville 100 this year. I'm not sure I would have made it back to the top of Hope Pass without him and his endless positive attitude and energy. I will never forget being on Hope Pass with Rob that night. It was one of the greatest moments of my life. I will miss him next year when I stand on that pass again, but I know his spirit will be with me through the whole race.

May you have an epic run, my friend!

a link to my experience with Rob during the Leadville 100
http://www.co-running.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson
Tatra
14ers: 58 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tatra »

I didn’t know Rob but I was on the summit of Culebra on the same day just over 2 weeks ago and I remember him and his nice friends. My heart was definitely broken when I saw the news on Monday morning. It is just not right when such an incredible and young human being is leaving the world so early. I am convinced that Rob will be living in his friends and family’s hearts forever. He is an inspiration for all of us and he will be always remembered. He lived his life to the fullest, followed his dreams and he died doing what he loved.

“Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today”.
James Dean
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

One of Robs good friends, Chris Dalia, created this video from clips back in 2009 when Rob came out to visit Colorado and climb in the Elks. This video brought tears to many of our eyes. You can see the passion Rob has for being in the mountains and with the people in his life that matter most.

http://vimeo.com/48344177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Reading this thread and all the great things people have had to say about Rob has been incredible. As his roommate, friend, and frequent climbing partner, I knew Rob was an extremely friendly and lovable guy - but this thread has shown me that Rob made friends more easily than anyone I have ever known. I remember last June when Rob and I moved in together - we didn't know each other very well yet, but Rob was anxious to share his passion for the mountains. Being cocky and assuming my fitness would get me to the summit, I said yes, and we headed out for Castle and Conundrum, packs loaded down with skis and boots. Once we hit tree line I bonked under the altitude, but not Rob. He carried my pack ahead, came back for his, and at one point jokingly offered me a piggyback. He was encouraging and strong, and somehow got me up that mountain. After 18 more summits with Rob, not much has changed. He would do anything for either a climbing partner or a complete stranger, and no one could keep up.

After meeting Rob's father and hiking up Grays and Torreys with him and Rob last summer, it became apparent how Rob became the man he was. I watched Mr. Jansen help a lowlander with altitude sickness all the way down Grays, coaching her through a panic attack and back to the trailhead, without leaving her side for hours. It's been quoted, but this just sums up how incredibly close Rob's family was and how well his father understood how he lived his life:
MtnChick wrote: We asked the server to take a photo of all of us. Before he snapped the picture, he said, "What brought you all together today?" There was a slight silence...then Rob's Dad said, "We are here celebrating our friend's life."

~Mandy Miller
I can honestly say Rob was the most passionate person I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I asked him several times if he wanted to take a weekend off from climbing for a night on the town or if he wanted to spend the weekend doing something else. His answer was always the same - "now why would I do that?" Last weekend Greg and I were talking about what we thought everybody in our group would do when they were finished with the 14ers. Greg would head to the Centennials, I'd climb Longs a bunch, and we figured Rob would probably wind up skiing all the 14ers. Then we realized that would take him just 1-2 years, and that he would probably be climbing the big peaks sooner rather than later. The sheer talent and potential Rob had were stunning, and we were all lucky not only to have known him, but to have climbed with him.

Ten minutes before the accident Rob mentioned how happy he had been in Colorado and how much he loved climbing with his friends. I find at least some solace in knowing that he was the happiest he has ever been just shortly before he left us and that he died doing what he lovd. I hope we all keep climbing, both for ourselves, and for Rob.
rockchalker
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (25)

Post by rockchalker »

Just saw siop's post about Rob pacing her at the Leadville 100 back over Hope Pass to Twin Lakes from Winfield. My wife was also running and reached Twin Lakes at almost the same time as Rob and siop. I only hope that she had a chance encounter with him, maybe at the Winfield turn around. Never met him but I have read so much that he must have been one helluva a guy.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is crying for leaving."
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Looking through the pictures posted earlier on this thread I realized that my wife and I briefly met Rob and his group on the top of Culebra on August 11th. (They took our summit picture). It seemed like a great group of people really enjoying the mountains! I am very saddened to hear of Rob's death. I wish for peace for his friends and family.

Andrew
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

Just posted over on the HH thread that pretty much 95% of all my hiking is solo, but in that 5% with folks, I had the pleasure to hike Longs Peak with Rob. Can't remember for sure, but it was his roommate or regular hiking partner Summer of 2011 that got hurt in downtown Denver so Rob had posted about wanting to head up Longs for the first time and looking for others to join in since he was solo at that point. I love that mountain and the lesser crowds of the Loft Route so that, coupled with Rob's desire to hit Mt Meeker as well, sealed the deal. I offered to drive and Rob met me at the Wagon Road Park N Ride and when I first saw him remember thinking "Uh oh...he's a young guy. How am I gonna keep up?"! It was a great climb and half-way to the Meeker summit from the broad loft I just turned to Rob and said "ok...you seriously don't need to wait for me" and he hit those extra gears and was gone in a flash!

The Meeker summit was great and the weather couldn't have been better. If you notice Rob's 14ers avatar, that is the pic of him I took while he was standing on Meeker's summit block. My avatar is the pic he took of me on that same block. He sure loved to take advantage of those silhouette-types of shots. Worked out great.

Dropped down into the correct gulley and popped out right next to Clark's Arrow which Rob thought was great. From there on to Longs' summit. Just a great time with great company.

My post Longs Peak tradition is to always hit Oscar Blues in Lyons to which Rob was more than happy to join in on. Little did I know at that point that Dale's was his favorite beer! And yes...that is what he had!

Just a great guy who really had a passion for people and all things mountain. I count myself very lucky to have met and hiked with him. He will be missed.

-Mike
Mountain Woman
14ers: 52  1  6 
13ers: 16 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Mountain Woman »

Think I met Rob at a Boulder happy hour once. This is such sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
dpritch78
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dpritch78 »

I spent the last couple of days drinking DPA. A fairly impressive amount. I knew getting out on a trail would help but couldn't muster up the energy yesterday. Today I headed over to the hogback where we did our first run together back getting ready for the marathon. I tried to channel my Rob legs and really run the climbs tonight. I thought it would be pretty cool to try and see what it felt like to run a Rob pace up the hills. It was awesome.....for a very short period. After that I was completely spent and had to try to manage not to walk on the return trip. I could never understand why Rob would even agree to go run with me when my pace is a LOT slower than his. But every couple weeks he'd still end up joining me for a few miles on a trail. I'd talk for the first minute or so then give up all pretenses and begin huffing and puffing as Rob nonchalantly kept up the chatter while sometimes slowing to a walk next to me.
I remember finishing the marathon and seeing Rob hanging out and soaking it all in. He was genuinely as excited for my very pedestrian middle of the pack finish as his own extremely impressive debut (sub 5 at Lt is strong). I tried to explain to him that sub 5 with no long run of more than 13 miles meant he could really fly. Rob pretended not to care but every once in a while you'd catch that look when he was talking about next years race. As Mountainmedic alluded to earlier Rob possessed a very rare combination of athletic ability, determination, passion, all while staying extremely humble and generous. Rob often got that same look when searching reports on 14ers or watching Leadville videos. That look usually lead to some new challenge being accepted or new adventure being cooked up. Always researching and preparing.
Truly privileged over the last year to have moved from coworker with a shared wall to becoming good friends. Thanks for dragging me up Bierstadt and introducing me to some of your crew. Tyler, heal up quick.
Rob reignited my passion for getting up the big mtns, helped convince me to attempt a 100 mile race, and truly set the bar way to high when it came to living each day to it's fullest. We'll do our best to keep up with the pace you set.
Summit Lounger
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 376 4
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Summit Lounger »

I had the pleasure of witnessing Rob's smile on the summit of Mt. Massive in February. It was more than a smile, it was the smile of a man content with life. I will not forget it. I was honored to be part of that trip. May we all smile for Rob on the summit, as we continue our time in the mountains, doing what we love.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

While I have been following and reading each one of your comments, I have refrained up to this point with posting anything in here. The pain is simply too much. However, I along with Jeff Golden spoke with a reporter from his hometown of New Canaan, CT, who wanted to tell who Rob was for the 24 years he was with us, and I wanted to share the story within our community - within Rob's community. The article is well written and I thank Melvin Mason for a job well done.

http://newcanaan.dailyvoice.com/news/cl ... ype-friend
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."