RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

So sad. Those are beautiful and appropriately poignant words written by Mary Elizabeth Frye. RIP Rob. Your “Search for Freedom” has ascended you to the greatest place/peak of all.
Century Bound, eventually.
solitude
Trip Reports (0)

Post by solitude »

Barry Raven wrote:R.I.P. I read an article that said he was from Connecticut. I would assume that was where he was orignally from but moved to Colorado?
If I remember correctly, I believe he moved here in 2011 but grew up in New Canaan, CT. I certainly don't know him anywhere close to the extent of many of you, but I am from CT also and ended up talking briefly with Rob shortly after he moved here. We talked about how amazing Colorado and the wilderness is here and how happy we both were to have ended up in this wonderful state. He was very enthusiastic about the mountains and I believe he had already climbed many of the 14ers in the few months he had been here. He offered me to contact him any time if I was looking for a hiking partner. Unfortunately I never had a chance to take him up on that offer, but he was incredibly friendly and full of life.
I offer sincere condolences to his family, friends, and all those who were so close to him. It is always so hard to lose someone close, but cherishing all the great memories over time can help heal. Also sending thoughts to the hiker who was injured and hoping for a quick recovery.
"The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask"
Rcizzle
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Rcizzle »

This is incredibly unfortunate and heart breaking. Rob would PM my account to ask for conditions of peaks I climbed. Though I never met him in person, I know this is a huge loss to the 14er community and it definitely overrides the bright spots of the summer. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Bad decisions make good stories.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

I met Rob once, at the Denver happy hour a few months ago. I did not know him personally but respected his posts and comments on here. He seemed like a great guy with a fun personality.

I remembered his post immediately from this thread when I heard.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RIP Rob. A sad day.
Last edited by EatinHardtack on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

I'm so shocked and saddened by this. I never had the joy of knowing Rob personally, but I always noticed his posts on the forum and trip reports. From what I could tell he was an awesome guy with an unimaginable love for the mountains. He had to be tons of fun to go climbing with. Honestly I can't believe it.

Rest In Peace, Rob. :cry:
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

That is terrible news!

I met Rob last year. Full of life and a very pleasant young man.

My condolences to the family!

RIP, far too many have passed the past couple of years.

SJ Ron
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I've had the privilege of climbing as well as hanging out with the fine young men in this close knit circle of friends. Rob was an outstanding young man who was very pleasant as well as humble. He was loved by all and shared a passion for the mountains. His death is a reminder to us all of the dangers of the sport we love. Although we don't know when our lives will come to an end, each and every moment is precious.

RIP Rob Jansen, may you find your true home.

Edit: Added from dmmcool's Capitol trip report (7/15/12)
Jansen always wore swim trunks while climbing 14ers.
Last edited by MonGoose on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

On days when the mountains give us such joy, it is always a shock to remember that they can take it away so quickly.

RIP.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Kapelmuur
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kapelmuur »

Wow.

Met Rob at the gathering last year and a big group of us climbed Handies on a beautiful Sunday morning. He set a mean pace up the summit block and it was all I could do to hang with him, yet he was all smiles at the top.

I have no words to describe the shock and no flowery language to assuage my despair at hearing this.

Absolutely horrible.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Huge bummer, horrible loss. Peace to all.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
BlueKhan
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BlueKhan »

I'm at a loss of words...RIP.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Rest in Peace, Rob. You were far too young. My condolences to his family and his friends, and those here who were privileged to have known him and climbed with him.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir