RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by Ridge runner »

I never met Rob, but I always enjoyed his trip reports. He seemed like a truly outstanding guy and will be missed by many. Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

Horrible news. My thoughts & prayers go out to all who loved and cared for him. Always loved seeing the swim trunks, he was a really fun guy.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

what a rollercoaster of a weekend on this site. hearing about this destroys me, even though I never met Rob. RIP, man. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who knew him and loved him.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Speechless. Rob you were an inspiration to many in the Colorado climbing community. Thanks for all of your contributions. Higher peaks await you in Heaven. Prayers to his friends and family.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help." -Psalm 121
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

I only got to meet Rob briefly at one of the Denver beer events, but even in that short meeting you could tell he was quality. From all of the posts I wished I would have had time to get to know him better.

I know for those who knew him best your hearts are very heavy with sorrow. Just know the rest of the hiking family is here for you all.

RIP Rob, you will be missed.

Shawn
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
britdog
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by britdog »

Horrible news. My condolences to the family and friends.

We were on the south face route just last weekend and remarked that it may be the worst mess of an ascent/descent we've come across. Very dangerous.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

We were so excited for our plans for us all to get together to go to Chicago Basin next weekend. :cry:

For those wondering what kind of an amazing person Rob was here is the link to his last trip report on Holy Cross with his father.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Rob, Me, Jeff, Greg and James on Crestone Needle
Rob, Me, Jeff, Greg and James on Crestone Needle
IMG_1317.JPG (81.73 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Dillon, Ben, Mandy, Rob, Bill, Keri and me the last time I saw Rob at last months Happy Hour.
Dillon, Ben, Mandy, Rob, Bill, Keri and me the last time I saw Rob at last months Happy Hour.
The Last Happy Hour.jpg (49.25 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Ben, Jeff, Me, Dan, Greg, and Rob on the summit of Little Bear
Ben, Jeff, Me, Dan, Greg, and Rob on the summit of Little Bear
The group.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Last edited by kushrocks on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

:cry:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

RIP Rob. I am going to miss you dearly as you were a great friend and always very encouraging and helpful to me. Sincere condolences to your family, friends back east and everyone here on 14ers.
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

Rob,

The couple times we met, you always were full of life and positive energy. You will be missed.

Joe
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

I met Rob briefly at the 2011 Fall Gathering. So sad, he was so young. Condolences to all who knew him.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

NO WAY!!

My heart has sunk and I am almost brought to tears.

Rob seemed like a super stand up guy. I first met Rob on Mt Hope this past spring. Him and Jeff climbed the couloir and Mike and I met them on the summit and we talked and joked some. We then watched Rob tear it up on skis and I even got video footage of it.

The two of us have been exchanging PMs quite a bit lately as we are really into trail running. In fact, I invited him to do 4 pass loop with us this past Saturday and was up there on the loop when he was climbing. My heart sinks even further knowing that we invited him on the run 2 weeks ago. Last week he even told me how he was a little bummed that he already had plans.

I will never forget Rob passing me on the flats below Mosquito pass. We were pretty quiet but running side by side, enduring the pain. He ended up beating me that race.

Run further on Rob, you will never be forgotten!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?