Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Post by rickinco123 »

The photos of Derek are a great memorial. The people on this site share a desire to live life to its fulllest. Condolenses to his family and friends.

Best wishes to those on the scene who witnessed this.
burtondr
14ers: 58 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by burtondr »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:Derek was one of my climbing partners and closest friends. I last saw him when he helped to rescue me after a small climbing fall that broke a bone in my foot. He got me safely down the cliff and to medical help. Farewell, my friend. I'll see you again.

Here are some climbing pics of Derek:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 990c3dbbfd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey Nathan, this is Roger from Focus days. Thanks for sharing the pics, I'm still numb and heartbroken but it was good to see the memories.
Thanks Mark also for the contact info, some of his former work-mates hope to be at the service tomorrow.
Though Derek passionately enjoyed the mountains he was even more passionate in his family life, love for God and commitment to others. I weep in my soul for his wife, kids and those close to him.
Rogerb
Man Jerk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Man Jerk »

Come say hi to me Roger. Easiest way to find me is to look for the really, really, really blonde 4 year old girl.
JJJR
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JJJR »

Although I did not know Derek I have been really touched by the story. We share a complete love for the beauty of nature. The John Muir quote in my signature line has special meaning for me.

My family is praying for all of you - his family, friends and those involved (including SAR). Peace to all of you!
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you...while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." H.S.T.
pucker_factor
14ers: 58  10  23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pucker_factor »

RIP Derek. I met him at the rei garage sale in the springs last year. a friend told me this tread was on this site. bummer that this is the reason i am here. Rest well my friend. Jealous that you are in paradise! Prayers to Tara and your family.
summit21
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summit21 »

RIP Derek, Condolences to his family and friends.
"The weather? The weather? Just show up at the trailhead and see what happens...you'll be surprised!"
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

To echo Nathan Hoobler, Derek was a close friend and along with Nathan, my default climbing partner. We shared amongst other things a love for the backcountry, but the growing friendship between our families over the last few years brought as much joy as standing on every summit. Most recently, our families enjoyed this past Labor Day weekend together in Gunnison. My last climb with Derek was two weeks ago as we scrambled up the Red Diamond face of Avery Peak just north of Crested Butte (Derek on the summit with the Bells in the background).
Attachments
Summit of Avery Peak (Sept 2, 2012)
Summit of Avery Peak (Sept 2, 2012)
IMG_1602.jpg (172.08 KiB) Viewed 4871 times
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

RIP Derek. Condolences to his family and friends.
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

It seemed like he loved the mountains and really enjoyed every moment climbing, its so sad to hear this news... RIP Derek
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I'm very saddened by this news. Best wishes to family and friends as they cope with this tragedy.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

Rest in peace, man, I'll say a prayer for your wife, kids, friends, and family. You seemed like a good guy from what I've read.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

My condolences to Derek's friends, family and all those around them dealing with this loss. Thank you to everyone who has shared photos and memories of Derek, somehow seeing his smile in all of those mountain pictures helps me wrap my head around this. I also want to send my thoughts out to Ian, Ed and everyone who was involved on the mountain that day.

I was at Maroon Lake with Jessica and our dog when this all took place. I planned on doing the traverse that day, S-N, but woke up to a look on Jessica's face that said I better not leave her alone all day while I went to climb some mountains. So, marital bliss being put first, we just hung out around the lake with the tourist hordes for a bit, snapping photos of the Bells. This is probably my best shot from the day, it was taken at 9:21 a.m.

If any of Derek's family/friends wants a digital copy I'd be happy to send it to them - just shoot me a PM with your email address. If the family would like, I'd be happy to get a print done and send it to them. Anyone who is in contact with them can send me a PM and let me know, or post on here and we'll figure out the details.

Last edited by JB99 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."