RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

On June 29, 2013 I will be:

Running Leadville Marathon
42%
Running Leadville Heavy Half
33%
There for support in the form of Dales/food/cheering/etc.
24%

Total votes: 33
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Re: RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Post by SummitKathy »

Just signed up for the full marathon! Let the training begin! Run for Rob (R4R)!

This will definitely be a difficult race. What an amazing testiment this will be to Rob's character when, even though he's no longer with us, he continues to inspire people to push their limits.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
Project Ralphie
14ers: 30 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Project Ralphie »

I'm in for the full.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Project Ralphie wrote:I'm in for the full.
Cool! I owe you a ride anyway. :-D We can carpool.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

I'm in for the marathon.
mattb528
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mattb528 »

Signed up for the marathon!
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

I signed up for the full yesterday and my GF is going to run the heavy half :)
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Signed up this morning. Really looking forward to this.

A couple words of advice for anyone doing either the full or the heavy half:
- Run as much as you can. Keeping your weekly mileage consistently high is the best thing you can do.
- A weekly long run is the most important thing you can do.
- Forget about speedwork unless you're consistently over 40mpw. The risk of injury outweighs the benefits, and you won't be going fast during this race. Hills (up and down) are much more important.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

I'm considering this race as well. I'll find out early December whether or not it will fit in with my schedule. Looks like a good course and and a great way to pay tribute to Rob. Any thoughts on a post-race meet-up?
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I'm just about ready to sign up for the half... I'm talking my feet and knees into it slowly.

Thanks for the running advice Mike - and for making me look up what MPW is and then realizing the "duh!" moment when I figured it out - I guess that makes me a running rookie, a badge I wear loud and proud.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

I know it leaves a lot to be desired for purposes of trail run planning, but there is a ton of free stuff out on Runners World magazine's website that goes over training plans, tips, how to get started, pace calculators, etc. If you follow this link you can see all this here: http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7 ... -0,00.html

Look down the left side and see all the headings you can click on to get more info on all aspects of training. There is a heading called "Trail Running" as well though I haven't had a chance to look into that one too much yet.

I used this site/tools in the past for Half/Full marathon training years ago in Florida. One really good thing was their "Smart Coach" feature. You can find the link on that site or just go straight here: http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach

The good thing about that is you can create your own training plan. You enter info such as a recent race time/distance (so it knows where you are at), what type of race you are currently training for distance-wise, how hard you want to train, when the race date is, etc. Click the button and it will create a detailed plan for you including what days of the week for rest, which day for your long run/tempo run/cross-train/etc. Again a lot of this is geared towards pure road running so you will certainly want to check out their other links for hill training, trail running and such. At the very least it is a start. The Smart Coach option is one item you do have to register for. That said, the "basic" plan may very well suite all your needs and it is free. The Smart Coach Plus has more features, you can try it for free for 30 days, but then there is a cost. You can see the differences at that link from above.

If anyone knows of resources like these Runners World tools, but better geared towards trail races, post them up.

-Mike
siop
Trip Reports (0)

Post by siop »

Other good resources for training

http://www.irunfar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (more geared toward ultrarunning, but good tips and advice for trails, nutrition, injury prevention etc.)

http://www.trailrunnermag.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Denver Trail Runners has group runs on Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings. Their website also has links/maps to good running trails near Denver http://www.denvertrailrunners.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my advice:
-try to get some running in above 10,000'
-run hills, hills and more hills and establish a run/walk routine that works for you
-practice your nutrition during runs
-don't increase your mileage too fast, especially early in your training or you risk injury
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson
IkeB
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 50 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by IkeB »

I will be running the heavy half.