RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

On June 29, 2013 I will be:

Running Leadville Marathon
42%
Running Leadville Heavy Half
33%
There for support in the form of Dales/food/cheering/etc.
24%

Total votes: 33
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Post by zdero1 »

See ya there, Tyler! Hope the recovery is going well.
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

MountainMedic wrote:I'm shooting for cheering this year
1 AM back east...GOOD MORNING TRex! I'll be "cheering" out there with you man. I'll bring the tap.
Last edited by dillonsarnelli on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

dillonsarnelli wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:I'm shooting for cheering this year
1 AM back east...GOOD MORNING TRex! I'll be "cheering" out there with you man. I'll bring the tap.

PS - I changed my signature just for you.
Dillon, I love you, but you're a friggin' weirdo.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

A couple of weeks ago I contacted the Director of the Leadville Race Series, Josh Colley, about the idea of forming a relay team in Rob's honor to run the entire race (either the half or the full, depending on interest level.) I suggested that this relay team wouldn't be running for time, but we do want to feel like we are participating in the event (not just running outside the boundary on the side) and we would otherwise have full access and benefits of the race, the staff, the swag, everything.

He thinks it's a great idea; of course he's concerned about the logistics of a relay team on the course, especially where no sweep vehicles may be present. For those of you who have participated in previous races - can you describe the action we could anticipate if we had 8 runners running 3+ miles each? Are there sweep vehicles? At most, would someone walk *x* miles if they stopped running and had to be swept? I want to present ideas to him on what we would need rather than let him dictate his terms first, and he wants our ideas as well.

If you would be interested in being part of a relay of this sort - PM me and let me know. I'd like to be able to present a full list of ideas and a probable number of participants to him, and Leadville Race Series, by the first week of February so if you want to act, let me know!
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

Bill, nice work!

The simplest relay plan I can think of would be to run the 8 legs between aid stations. The longest leg would be 3.8 miles, between the start/finish and A. Worst case, runners could be driven to and/or from B (on good 2WD dirt road) and would have to do some "extra credit" hiking before and/or after the bulk of runners came through a particular section. You'd have to clear that with the RD and make sure it's not seen as interfering. The longest days would be for those doing the loops around Ball Mountain; it's 2.7 easy miles between A and B (done twice) and 3.3 miles around Ball Mountain (8.7 miles total). The Ball Mountain loop is often considered the course's most scenic section. It might also be possible to coordinate rides to/from aid stations with the volunteers.

kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

If we can work out the logistics count me in for one of the legs for sure! Awesome stuff Bill
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
thevagabond
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thevagabond »

registered for the Heavy Half :twisted: \:D/
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

What a wonderful idea!

Having run the marathon 2x the best thing I can think of is just switching people everytime you pass an aid station.

1st person goes from the start to the beginning of the ball mtn loop
2nd does the loop
3rd runs to the base of Mosquito
4th goes up and back down to the base of Mosquito (you could potentially switch a runner at the top of Mosquito but thats seems kinda pointless)
5th goes back to the start of the loop
6th does the loop
7th brings it home!

The hardest people to get off the course would be the people starting and stopping at the ball mtn loop, but I'm sure you could figure something out with the race officials. Base of Mosquito is vehicle accessible.

Hope to see you guys there!

EDIT: What Ben said :-D
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
kara
14ers: 41 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kara »

I registered for the Heavy Half back at the end of November. Happy that the Month o' Excuses otherwise known as December has passed and that the month of Best Intentions is upon us! I haven't run anything competitively since HS cross country. Oops.

I have Wednesday mornings free, Derek, so you just might find me out there one of these weeks!

Also, I would be WAY into a memorial bib. Wonder if Kush would be down with using the image from his patches?

Excited by the excitement!
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence. --Hermann Buhl
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Awesome Bill!

So who all is running the full?

Also, I have the original files from when we designed the patches that I could send if it is decided to go ahead with the memorial bib idea. Just let me know.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I am not sure who is running; I suppose I need to go back through and read every last damn response to determine who may want to participate and hound them incessantly until they commit to the race, or commit to hating me. My goal is to have at least one team of 8 partial runners - people who typically don't run much and who would otherwise just go and support and sit on the keg - that would keep the mileage to about 3.3 miles on average. Some would go more and less depending on how we set up the intervals and get those approved in some way with the Race Director. If we could have more teams? Great! I could see a team of 4 that skip every other interval that the team of 8 would stop at - just a thought.

The more the support and interest on our end for a relay system, the more they will listen and assist. So please let me know if you'd like to do this!
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

wildlobo71 wrote:I am not sure who is running; I suppose I need to go back through and read every last damn response to determine who may want to participate and hound them incessantly until they commit to the race, or commit to hating me. My goal is to have at least one team of 8 partial runners - people who typically don't run much and who would otherwise just go and support and sit on the keg - that would keep the mileage to about 3.3 miles on average. Some would go more and less depending on how we set up the intervals and get those approved in some way with the Race Director. If we could have more teams? Great! I could see a team of 4 that skip every other interval that the team of 8 would stop at - just a thought.

The more the support and interest on our end for a relay system, the more they will listen and assist. So please let me know if you'd like to do this!
Geez Bill I wish I had known about this option before registering...The heavy half is a bit intimidating right now! If I can contribute my time or money to any memorial activity please let me know. I would be happy to help.