Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
thevagabond
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Steve Gladbach

Post by thevagabond »

Absolutely terrible news :( I will always remember my hike with Steve. Deepest condolonces to his family.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

To Britt, Jim, and Steve's family, I am praying for God to give you peace in the coming days. If there is anything we as a community can do to support you, please let us know.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." John 14:1-4
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Shogun
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Shogun »

Steve helped me up my first winter 14er on Mt. Yale in 2008. I clearly remember his strength, his humor and his kindness. Like so many others, I too always looked up to him. A truly wonderful man.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Boggy B wrote:In November '09 Steve, Jeff (slimshady) and I climbed Antero in less than ideal conditions.
"Less than ideal." Michael, I love your understatement. You guys were tougher than me. I felt guilty for a long time after that trip.

Heading up Ute Pass from the Springs, I couldn't believe the snow and ice on the roads, slipping sideways at 25mph, and the view of nothing but white flakes coming at you in the windshield, in the pre-dawn darkness. After a few miles I turned back and called Steve to let him know I would never make it to the TH in time at this rate. To my surprise, Steve had driving conditions just as tough.

So Steve pulls out of Pueblo West, onto Highway 50, in the pre-dawn snowstorm, heading west for the Antero TH. He's surprised as hell to see State Patrol behind him. And even more surprised the patroller turns on the lights and pulls him over. "Sir, did you know you were heading west in the eastbound lane?" Yeah, snow was that bad. The patroller lets him off. He goes back to the intersection, gets in the correct west-bound lane, and makes it to the Antero TH. Where the three of these guys push all the way straight up the dead-west slopes of Antero in the full on snowstorm!

What's more, they don't summit till sunset! Tough hombres.

Steve, I miss ya, man.

:cry:
moon stalker
14ers: 58  3  47 
13ers: 270 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by moon stalker »

I'm in total shock. Words cannot express the loss I feel. I'm sorry I will not hear his words of encouragement again.
RIP Steve.
Lost but never forgotten.
:cry:
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

bergsteigen wrote:Then when he heard that our partners had gone onto the summit and we'd be left at the trailhead waiting, he invited KeithK and me to their rented cabin for a spaghetti dinner with the rest of his group. In fact, he insisted on it. He wasn't going to let us stay out in the January cold.
Best spaghetti I ever tasted. And quite possibly the kindest, best person I've ever met. One of a kind, irreplaceable.
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

It was an honor and a pleasure to climb with Steve on his latest winter quest. He invited me to join him on his second attempt that season of Ice Mountain, a very difficult Centennial 13er. It was an incredible day and we worked hard, eventually Steve made it to the top, adding to his unmatched winter resume. I am very grateful to have shared that day with you Steve, and for everything else.
Attachments
Steve traverses a snowslope up high on Ice Mountain January 2013
Steve traverses a snowslope up high on Ice Mountain January 2013
27283_4778973226516_1327560358_n.jpg (143.64 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

I remember joining the site at 12 or 13 and reading all of Steve TR's. I was inspired. And then I had the privilege of finally meeting you. I was so shocked how humble and nice Steve was. The kind of guy you want to go into the mountains with. The guy you could really trust your life with if it came down to it. I have extremely fond memories on the Cap Snow traverse we all embarked on. I remember carpooling and you continued to tell me stories the whole way there. I remember doing some dangerous climbing on that traverse. I had to fully concentrate but yet you continued to talk. I was shocked how you were able to concentrate hard and tell me stories.

After that trip, something sparked.....It wasn't just a trip in the mountains. It was sort of a brotherly bond. I felt we all made a connection from the dangers we dealt with. A lot of stress and being scared. We all went down together.

And then I had no ride home. You went out of your way to drop me off in Denver. You were more then happy too.

I came back a different person. Hard to describe.

It's such a shame to loose someone like you. Your energy went beyond climbing. You cared about more then just that. You cared about others.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and the rest of the community.

I'll miss you, Steve.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

Another very sad day. Prayers to Steve's family and to everyone involved. He will truly be missed.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

I just found this picture (I was afraid it got deleted) from the Humboldt hike we did together, along with two of his summer school students. Finding this lost photo means the world to me. It's somewhat fitting that his favorite 14er is in the background:
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I never had the privilege of meeting Steve, but like so many here noticed how kind and encouraging his posts were and how humble he was. Steve's trip reports of his Winter peaks were second to none, and I LOVED seeing a new report from him.

I wish I would have met you Steve; but even though I never did I feel like I lost a friend. You will be missed! RIP!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Very nice pictures everyone.

This week (and much longer that) due to the upcoming weekend's race I have been thinking a lot about Rob. Now we must struggle with this.

I never got the honor to meet Steve but I heard wonderful things about him including his love of talking :lol:
Will never forget after a memorable climb someone mentioned Steve had heard that my partner and "Fireonthemountain" had made the summit. It just brought a smile to my face because this was a guy I revered and respected.

His words of wisdom on the forum will always linger with me.

You will most certainly be missed Steve.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?