Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Aggieclimber86
14ers: 56 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Steve Gladbach

Post by Aggieclimber86 »

A very sad day indeed. God doesn't make many like that! RIP Steve
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Prayers for family, friends, all involved parties, and for our community in mourning. Always a gentleman, Steve will be sorely missed. RIP
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

Much love to Steve, as well as those who were on this climb and all those who knew this great man. Enjoy Heaven's peaks with Kevin while you wait for me.

Onwards,
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

So very sad to hear this news. I offer my condolences to Steve's family and friends - especially his daughters whom he obviously loved very very much. This is a tremendous loss to everyone in the Colorado climbing community as well. He will be greatly missed. Peace and comfort to everyone who is mourning right now.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

Steve was an amazing, selfless, and incredible person. Even though I only spoke to him in the midst of the time in the mountains I shared with him (and at that far more limited than many here) I learned of the immense good this man brought to our world, not just as a mountaineer, but as a human being, a teacher and a father. I witnessed acts of giving and caring to complete strangers as a regular part of what he did in the hills. He was the definition of class. From what I learned talking to him, his accomplishments were amazing and by no means were limited to what he did in the mountains or for his fellow climbers. It seems to me that the world as a whole lost someone amazing. This is one of my favorite photos , and one I took of Steve while fly fishing at Willow Lake. It seems to me that its time to remember what an amazing soul he was. For those who knew him far better, my heart goes out to you. I feel so sick to my stomach right now and I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through, esp Britt and the other climber up on the mountain on Sunday. I will be sending nothing but positive thoughts to you. And to Steves family, know that Steve's accomplishments will live on for years to come, and you have an entire community around you that will do everything in our power to support you.
fishing willows - smaller.jpg
fishing willows - smaller.jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
Zambo
14ers: 58  5  16 
13ers: 160 10 9
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Zambo »

I never met Steve, but in some ways, I never had to. His awesome reputation proceeded him.

Sad and sobering to say the least. However, I am glad to see that the tragedy of today is also marked by the incredible legacy he left behind. Thoughts and prayers for his family.
"Human beings climb at their peril. Some might think that by climbing a great mountain they have somehow conquered it, but we can be only visitors here."
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I met Steve on January 9, 2010 on Elbert: my second failed attempt at my first winter 14er and second failed attempt to ski my first 14er. Double fail. I was wrecked and disheartened that I couldn't make the summit that day due to a massive asthma attack. When I ran into Steve on the trail, he asked me tons of questions about skiing, my gear, and how hard it was to be a ski mountaineer, and that he didn't think he'd ever be able do that. He made me feel so much better about what I had tried to do, but failed at. Then when he heard that our partners had gone onto the summit and we'd be left at the trailhead waiting, he invited KeithK and me to their rented cabin for a spaghetti dinner with the rest of his group. In fact, he insisted on it. He wasn't going to let us stay out in the January cold.

He was there for my 4th winter 14er and 4th ski of Columbia. I met him up on the high ridge where the 50mph winds were knocking me down (literally). My knees were bloody and bruised from falling so much. He encouraged me to continue on to the summit, since the wind was calm there.

There were other climbs, gatherings and occasions where I have run into Steve. Always encouraging and helpful, and making everyone feel good about their accomplishments. Always looking out for others. Selfless and humble.

I can only hope that I can become even half of the great person and mountaineer he was. We all have a legacy to look up to and strive for. Climb on!

Britt, Jim, Kiefer, be safe on your travels back.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

A true role model!! You will be missed but never forgotten.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

bergsteigen wrote:I met Steve on January 9, 2010 on Elbert: my second failed attempt at my first winter 14er and second failed attempt to ski my first 14er. Double fail. I was wrecked and disheartened that I couldn't make the summit that day due to a massive asthma attack. When I ran into Steve on the trail, he asked me tons of questions about skiing, my gear, and how hard it was to be a ski mountaineer, and that he didn't think he'd ever be able do that. He made me feel so much better about what I had tried to do, but failed at. Then when he heard that our partners had gone onto the summit and we'd be left at the trailhead waiting, he invited KeithK and me to their rented cabin for a spaghetti dinner with the rest of his group. In fact, he insisted on it. He wasn't going to let us stay out in the January cold.
That's when I met him too! I barely made the summit that day. I had bonked badly. So nice of him to invite us all (strangers, really) back for the spaghetti--and it was completely rejuvenating. I remember that Kevin Hayne was part of that Elbert hike and dinner that night as well.
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

Once again this feeling of sadness arises as we've lost someone who was truly a great individual as witnessed by all the remarks. I never met Steve and only exchanged words with him here on this site, but like all of us here who love the mountains as much as Steve did, we are all connected. To Steve's family and friends my thoughts are with you during these hard times.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

June 24, 2013 has an eerie similarity to May 7, 2007. Condolences to Steve's family.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

I never got the opportunity to meet Steve personally, but I always considered him one of the "Mount Rushmore" of the site - I learned so much from his tales and adventures.

Prayers that his friends and family (including Britt) can find peace in the wake of this tragedy.