Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Steve Gladbach

Post by Scott P »

News Story:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_235 ... 14ers-dies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Gladbach, beloved local climber, dies on Thunder Pyramid

Colorado's climbing community mourned the death of beloved alpinist Steve Gladbach after search and rescue teams found his body Monday in the Maroon Bells Wilderness. He was 52.

Gladbach, a father of two daughters and a high school teacher from Pueblo, separated from his longtime climbing companions on the descent of the 13,932-foot Thunder Pyramid peak. His partners searched for him and notified search and rescue Sunday afternoon, triggering their SPOT locator beacons at 1:56 p.m. Teams searched late Sunday and the Colorado National Guard High-Altitude Army National Guard Aviation Training Site helicopter spotted Gladbach's body at 11:18 a.m. Monday. A team from Mountain Rescue Aspen helped recover the body.

The manner of death was not disclosed in Monday's news release from the Pitkin County Sheriff's Office. Nor was Gladbach identified. However, numerous friends confirmed his identity.

The tight-knit forum at 14ers.com was wracked with grief as hundreds mourned the death of a consummate climber who relished not just being in the mountains, but sharing the opportunities he found on high. Gladbach had climbed every 14,000-foot peak in Colorado at least four times. Many he'd climbed five times. He climbed every 14er in the state in winter, one of only a few to achieve that milestone. He was less than dozen peaks shy of climbing Colorado's nearly 800 named 13,000-foot and 14,000-foot peaks. He was one of the most accomplished hikers and mountaineers in the state and friends said he made a point of hiking with first-timers. He loved introducing high-country hiking to newcomers.

Gladbach hailed from the Midwest. He weighed more than 300 pounds when he graduated high school, telling the Pueblo Chieftain in a 2011 profile: "I have an addictive personality."

In 1992, Gladbach, then 32, survived a rare June avalanche while climbing South Maroon Peak. Two of his friends — G. Brent and Marcie Cameron — were killed in the slide

Gladbach was a fixture on 14ers.com, posting 29 trip reports from 2007 to 2012, delivering insight and details along with photos of him embracing grinning pals on an array of summits. The website's forum exploded in tearful remembrances Monday, with dozens of climbers celebrating a man whose fire for the mountains will forever highlight countless memories.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Col_Forbin
14ers: 44  8  2 
13ers: 109 46 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Col_Forbin »

Was really hoping this would not be the outcome. My thoughts and prayers are with Steve's family and friends. Rest in peace
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Dear Steve,

I love you.

I love you for who you are, and who you aren't. I love you for what you did, and what you didn't do. I enjoyed many days in the mountains with you. My fondest being the Capital to Snowmass Traverse in 2010. I'm so glad we shared those 2 days, as well as all the other times we hiked and climbed together.

What you did Steve was help and mentor. What you didn't do was judge or condemn. Who you are, and my forever vision of you, is kind and humble, honest and genuine. Never in my life did I expect you and your simple, beautiful wisdom to have such a profound affect on me.

The first time I met you your gaiters had been left at home, so duct tape wrapped around your pant legs sufficed. Orange hat with ear flaps on, off we went, up Yale. It was 2008. Brit was with us too, as well as others. So many more to share, too many to remember. I have the deepest respect for you Steve.

I love you Steve.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

So sad.. the outpouring of love from all the people he touched indicates what a great man he was! I wish I could've gotten to know him. I ran into him and his daughter on the summit of Redcloud last year and had a brief chat with him. We talked for a few minutes.. what a humble guy.. at the end of our conversation we talked about 14ers.com and he told me his handle. Needless to say I was familiar with some of his accomplishments. He just struck me as such a genuine, humble guy. Wish I would've had the chance to hike with him. Farewell Steve.. you will be sorely missed.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

In November '09 Steve, Jeff (slimshady) and I climbed Antero in less than ideal conditions. It was my first hike with Steve, and I was shocked that someone who talks so much could move so fast. He entertained us all the way with his experiences, vast mountaineering knowledge, and climbing lore. Being relatively new to real mountains then, I got a low-blood-pressure head rush at 13,500' and was on the verge of blacking out when Steve called through my tunneling vision to sit down and put my head between my knees. That did the trick, and we went on to summit in what Steve recently recalled as one of his toughest winter days. I was proud back then to "hang" with the likes of Steve, and even more proud later to hear he thought it was tough! I've looked up to him ever since that day.

In every outing we've shared since then it has been such a pleasure to witness Steve's calm strength, his humility, his giving spirit: He paved my route through three feet of new snow up La Plata, for what must have been his hundredth summit of that peak; he lingered atop Princeton to offer encouragement to those in the group who struggled at long last to reach it; he dug tent sites for stragglers at Snowmass Lake the afternoon before the summit bid; he carried a whole bag of KFC up Longs to help John (fepic1) celebrate his finisher.

I'll never forget lying awake listening to Steve recount the entire history of Colorado mountaineering, or warm rotisserie chicken on La Plata in winter, or sharing birthday cheesecake on Huerfano, or Cronin Peak trivia.

I sincerely regret that I didn't spend more time with him.
La Plata, February '10

Goodbye Steve.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

A day in the Sangres. Orange rules. Missing you Steve.
Attachments
an_OrangeKind_ofDay.JPG
an_OrangeKind_ofDay.JPG (208.94 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Steve and Jim (Dancesatmoonrise) were instrumental in starting the annual Winter Welcomer hike. It basically turned into an opportunity to mentor less-experienced hikers and introduce them to winter hiking conditions. Jim wrote a report for the First Annual Winter Welcomer that includes some good images of Steve:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

Here's an image of Steve, Cooper the Dog, and Jim near the summit of Quandary Peak on 11/1/2009:

Steve will live on in our memories.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

I have few words, but the news haunts me. Steve defined, through his actions, what I believe mountains offer us all. He was a great man. We spent a few days celebrating the fact that helping others experience something so enriching can stick with one for life. I am saddened.

If his family or friends need any help please let me know. I know he leaves a lot behind.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lazyhiker
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazyhiker »

I'm lost and saddened :cry: RIP Steve.
agui
14ers: 49 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by agui »

RIP Steve, thanks for all your advice and kind words over the years, sad, sad day
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I read that Steve had left his car in Hartsel over the weekend. I live in Canon City, between Hartsel and Pueblo, where Steve lived. If I can be of assistance in helping to retrieve his vehicle, please don't hesitate to contact me.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Coucher73 wrote:Having said that, I think I really would have liked Steve. And even though I suspect that I myself can be wholely unlikeable at times, I bet Steve would have been patient enough to like me too.
Agreed, its sad to lose such a good guy; even if you never had the pleasure of crossing paths. RIP Steve
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!