Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Re: Steve Gladbach

Post by Aubrey »

This is so sad and tragic.

I only had the opportunity to hike with Steve once. I was blown away by his vast climbing knowledge and experience, yet he was so humble. The mountaineering community has truly lost a great one, and the world has lost a great person. He will be missed by countless people.

My heart aches for his family and friends. Sincere condolences to them all.
LivingOnTheEdge
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LivingOnTheEdge »

Although I've been a long-time user, I have yet to ever post to this site, but this news makes me feel compelled to post. I have never met Steve, but as many other users have noted, his reputation precedes him. I have long looked up to Steve and all that he has accomplished. it is a sobering thought that something could happen to someone as experienced and knowledgeable as Steve. Colorado has truly lost a legend and though I have never has the privilege of meeting Steve, I am sick over the loss. Thoughts and prayers to his family. Know that Steve touched far more lives than even he would ever know.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

gdthomas wrote:June 24, 2013 has an eerie similarity to May 7, 2007. Condolences to Steve's family.
Too true, unfortunately.
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Steve's passing makes for two heavy hearts many miles from Colorado...
Last August my Arkie climbing partner and I aimed for the heart of the San Juans: Upper Noname Basin. There we met unbelievable beauty, solitude, and Steve Gladbach. On day two, after I returned from a soggy reconnoiter of Knife Point Steve was visiting with my partner at our campsite. (He was the only soul we would see for nearly 6 days.) I knew generally of his accomplishments, and was honored to have him visit with us. He and Dancesatmoonrise, camped down the valley a ways, had backpacked over Twin Thumbs Pass after climbing Sunlight Spire. Their next objective: Gray Needle. (the photo of Steve posted in this thread by Dancesatmoonrise looks very much like the time and place we encountered him.) In spite of the fact that he was with two relative mountain novices, Steve spent several hours chatting us up like we were his peers. No pretenses. Just kindness and good humor. He was especially proud of the new wine colored pants he was sporting (Wal-Mart, $14.) But in addition to his genuine humility, I will never forget his Storm King Peak Quad. At some point we asked about a route up some peak and he unfolded his map. There are like 30 ranked thirteeners in the Storm King Peak Quad and penciled over each and everyone was the date he climbed them. Needless to say, it was a well worn map that had seen more than a few days in the mountains. When I submitted a trip report about the Noname venture (with some trepidation as it was my first and only TR) he graciously commented, complimenting my effort. Needless to say, his remarks made me proud. Proud that I can get out there and hang with the likes of mountaineer Steve Gladbach. And proud that I got to know the man, however briefly.
My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.
Last edited by Kent McLemore on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-km
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Steve was a man of legend and heroism in the Colorado mountaineering community. May we all strive to be like him in the mountains and our daily lives.

My condolences to his friends and family.

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Memories of better times:
mt-elbert-4-11-2010.jpg
mt-elbert-4-11-2010.jpg (71.1 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
RIP Steve
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Please, all - keep the great stories coming. I'm jealous that I have none of my own, but they're a great tribute.
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

Same here. I was in Steve's group that day. There were a few newbies in the group and I was one of them. Kevin and I were the last two reached the summit. There is no way we could make it without Steve's help. I remember I told him he looks like Harrison Ford and he couldn't stop laughing. It's like yesterday.

I still have hard time believe what I am reading here. For a moment I wanted to say, it can't be true, you guys are all lying...

I dug out Steve's email prior to the trip -

<quote>
Gear,

Underlayer (I use two)
Fleece Top
Hevy pants
Windproof Pants/ Jacket
Down/insulated coat
Hat
balaclava/facemask
goggles
sunglasses
Mittens (gloves OK in addition, not instead)
Chemical handwarmers
Socks
Winter Boots (Insulated at least to -25F); plain sorrels are sufficient on this mountain. Some people get by with thich leather boots.

Pack
food
minimum 2 quarts water. (one deep indide pack; wrapped in your down coat), one against your body inside your coat.
10 essentials

snowshoes (skis, but leaders will be snowshoeing)
ski poles
ice axe is usual, but this route doesn't really need one
shovel is usual, but this route doesn't really need one

Linda,

I'll bring the makings for spaghetti. Will you send cheese w/ Tom? (I'll have suce, spaghetti, italian sausage). I don't know who else id bringing what.

Steve

Many people like instep crampons or Kathoola type spikes. Full crampons are overkill on this route.
</quote>
smoove wrote: That's when I met him too! I barely made the summit that day. I had bonked badly. So nice of him to invite us all (strangers, really) back for the spaghetti--and it was completely rejuvenating. I remember that Kevin Hayne was part of that Elbert hike and dinner that night as well.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

I feel like I was paralyzed by a stun gun when I heard the news. I love when Steve posted this in 2010:
sgladbach wrote:Remembering those who have passed will do more to heighten your own awareness of potential dangers than would a critque of their errors. Remember: you've already taken courses, participated with good mentors, and read valuable books. You know what mistakes can be made. You know that you can make zero mistakes and still die. Vigilance is the best defense and bringing along the memory of those lost partners will always heighten vigilance. Sadly, none of us are 100% vigilant.
My heart and prayers are with Britt, Kiefer, all family and friends affected and hurting by this tragic loss. I first met Steve in 2011 when Bill and I went up for the Winter Gathering. I couldn't believe I had met such a mountaineering legend and powerhouse, and like most, now I can say I'm forever honored. His life preaches his memory and his legacy will continue to light up our lives as he watches from above. Although his departure was far too early, I'm confident that when he reached His throne, God greeted him with arms open wide saying, "Steve, well done my son and climb on!"

Re-directing this thread to the appropriate and well-earned Climber Memorial section of the forum...
jamie
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jamie »

I feel compelled to say something. I had the privilege of hiking with Steve a few times. I was always so fascinated by his amazing mountaineering experience and knowledge. He was and always will be someone I look up to. I am still in complete shock that he is no longer with us. Steve, you will be missed.
"...heading into the mountains with your life strapped to your back is the ultimate expression of freedom."
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

He did more s**t in a month than some do in a lifetime. What a life, and what a gift he was, to us all.
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

metalmountain wrote:
kushrocks wrote:Some of my favorite stories about Steve were when he would summit a peak and be on his way down already almost a 1000 feet below the summit already and see climbers/hikers struggling on their way up barley able to move uphill. He would climb down to them sometimes carry their pack and re- summit with them so they could get to the top. That is the kind of man he was. Truly one of a kind.
I had a friend at work today relay a story concerning Steve that drives this same point home. On Huron several years ago Steve was 1,000 or so feet down from the summit on the descent when he realized there was a dog stuck up near the summit. So Steve being Steve re-climbed Huron and carried the dog back down to safety.

Steve was always willing to answer any dumb question I sent to him, and was always patient and forthcoming. He was, from all I could ever tell, a selfless and great human being. We need more people like him.

I only met Steve once, a late November day on Huron Peak, and James (metalmountain) already mentioned my story of how Steve hiked back up from 500-1000 feet down (he had already left the summit) to carry a dog which had wounded pads I think from the rocks and the snow. I am not sure but I don't even think the dog belonged to anybody from his group.

Like I told James, that is the kind of person I want to be too. Thanks for your example Steve.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day