WyomingBob

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Re: WyomingBob Memorial

Post by JosephG »

Reiterating what everyone has said, this is very sad.
I never met Wyoming Bob, but his TRs were enjoyable, folksy, and without pretention. The few PMs I exchanged with him confirmed his positive character.

Another unfortunate, untimely loss.
Condolences to family and friends.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

I met Howard five years ago on James Peak and we shared a great conversation that day.

http://www.climbingwithbob.com/colorado ... speak.html

When I learned ClimbingWithBob.com was Wyoming Bob, I often thought of contacting him for a climb, but unfortunately, I'm a little bit too much of an introvert and too tied up with my own peak bagging concerns.

When I learned the accident on Jagged involved an attorney from Cheyenne, I immediately thought of Wyoming Bob and was nearly certain it was Howard based upon the photgraphs geojed uncovered. This was last weekend and just before I took off Monday for a week-long trip to climb, of all peaks, Jagged. Having returned now from the trip and the identity of Wyoming Bob positively revealed, I again offer my condolences to his family and friends. I thought of Howard frequently this last week. Rest in peace . . .

D'Arcy
uwe
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Rest in Peace, Howard - aka Wyoming Bob.

[We never actually met.
However, our lines intersected in a funny sort of way.
Last August, during a CMC climb of Dallas, Roger and I retrieved WB's cam that he left on his Dallas Peak climb.
We got it back to him. He thought that was a hoot. We enjoyed a brief moment of community, mountaineering comrades.]
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

RIP. This has just been an incredibly sad summer season.
susanjoypaul wrote:We need to do all we can to avoid any more fatalities this year. The rains lately have been torrential throughout the mountains, and the steep, saturated terrain is going to be even looser and more dangerous than usual for a while. Let's all be careful out there. And let's all try to be a lot nicer to each other, too.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
summitwolf
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 164 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by summitwolf »

This is so sad.

I met WyomingBob (Howard) a few weeks ago. We were both camping at the same trailhead (he was climbing Deer Mtn and I was climbing Lackawanna Peak the next morning). We chatted for a long time that evening. He was such an incredibly nice guy with so much knowledge to share. His love, appreciation and respect for the mountains was truly evident. I feel very fortunate to have met him.

http://www.climbingwithbob.com/colorado ... /deer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Last edited by summitwolf on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
smrcka
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 116
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smrcka »

RIP Howard. I enjoyed reading his trip reports as have many others. Such a tragedy. Condolences to family and friends...
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
Rcizzle
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Rcizzle »

Absolutely tragic! I did not know WyomingBob or have ever met him, but I respected his insight and competence as a mountain climber on this forum.
Bad decisions make good stories.
HikeforTurns
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (1)

Re: WyomingBob

Post by HikeforTurns »

RIP Howard.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: WyomingBob

Post by Hungry Jack »

I just now realize that the Climbing with Bob website, which I have had bookmarked for years, was Wyoming Bob's. It hits home when someone whose experiences have provided you with much entertainment and information has passed.
please rotate your device