Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by MountainHiker »

One of the "In Loving Memory" cards, with Terry's picture, has been living in my pack going to summits since his service.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
K G Wright
14ers: 25 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by K G Wright »

I'm sorry to learn of your passing Terry. Thanks for the help after the helicopter crash I was involved with in 2011. I could tell you were a brave, compassionate soul who sought ways to serve others. Albeit briefly, I'm grateful our paths crossed. Rest in peace fellow mountaineer.

Hopi Prayer
-author unknown

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am the thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint in the snow.
I am the sunlight on the ripened grain.
I am the autumn's gentle rain.
When you awaken in the morning hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush.
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there,
I did not die.
Last edited by K G Wright on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Wright
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -Thoreau
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

K G Wright wrote:I'm sorry to learn of your passing Terry. Thanks for the help after the helicopter crash I was involved with in 2011. I could tell you were a brave, compassionate soul who sought ways to serve others. I wish you could have lived to see the book I published about that theme (bravery in the service of others is heroism) and that chopper's "hard landing"; I think you would have liked it. Albeit briefly, I'm grateful our paths crossed. Rest in peace fellow mountaineer.

Hopi Prayer
-author unknown

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am the thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint in the snow.
I am the sunlight on the ripened grain.
I am the autumn's gentle rain.
When you awaken in the morning hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush.
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there,
I did not die.
That's not a "Hopi Prayer -author unknown," it's very well-known poem by Mary Elizabeth Frye (1932).

Mr. Mathews knew this well based on the respects he paid to friends he lost in other threads, and it was reportedly a favorite of his.

While I never met him, I've met or corresponded with many of his friends. I respect his accomplishments and the fact that he never sank to the level of using it to resurrect someone's memorial thread to sandwich their own book promotion with false piety, acting as if they were addressing to the deceased, when really trying to reach potential customers.

Apologies to Mr. Mathews' friends and family if any feel me pointing this out here is poor form. Hope time eases pain ala Rev 21:4.
K G Wright
Trip Reports (0)

Post by K G Wright »

Tall Grass, I don't know why you have such vehemence against me trying to help people avoid suffering / dying in the wilderness? Have you read the book?

Terry and I messaged on several occasions, him providing me with feedback that I used to help others. Some of his friends on this website personally messaged me with gratitude for bringing attention to a subject he felt close to (helping others).

I believe Terry would want to help others be informed and support my choices.

If you go back to the other thread in which you attacked my intention and reasoning, I think you'll see what my intention is, as well as others' opinions about your perspective.

I appreciate your honest feedback, but it is one person's opinion, and it is an opinion that I think projects the accuser's values far more than the accused.
Kevin Wright
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -Thoreau
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

This is a thread for and about Terry Mathews, not for you, your book, and your aspirations.
K G Wright
Trip Reports (0)

Post by K G Wright »

Tall Grass, again thank you for the feedback. I also appreciate you giving proper attribution to the quote. I did not know it was one of Terry's favorites, and I appreciate knowing that.
Kevin Wright