Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Moraine14
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by Moraine14 »

Louis, that letter is amazing. Through Terry's selflessness & generosity, he truly lives on, not only through the memories of family & friends but also through the lives of strangers to whom he's given the gift of life. Peace to you and to Terry.
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

Moraine14 wrote:Louis, that letter is amazing. Through Terry's selflessness & generosity, he truly lives on, not only through the memories of family & friends but also through the lives of strangers to whom he's given the gift of life. Peace to you and to Terry.
We are in the process of tying up his affairs, I recently did this for my brother, it is complicated, expensive, and time consuming. It is painful but a labor of love.
Louis W Mathews
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

I created a new email address for Terry, if you have old emails in your sent folder forwaard them to haplo14er@gmail.com I will add contacts as people send emails. Also there is now a Face book account as I promised. I will be posting many of his his photos as time permits. We can share photos and memories so everyone can relive Terry's life through the eyes of those who loved and respected him. https://www.facebook.com/terry.mathews.585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Louis W Mathews
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

With help from some of Terry's close friends and colleagues from 14ers he will make his final physical ascent at zero dark thirty on Monday August 19th. This p

This past month has been very difficult for our family. We share deep gratitude to all who posted words and photo's here. It helps keep us humble by Terry's life as he chose to live it. We also understand that many others are sharing a big sense of loss. Thank you all.
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

Today was extremely emotional for all involved with the climb for Terry. My wife eldest son Tom and I greeted them upon their descent. I think we all shed many tears of grief and of relief. We were in communication throughout the climb. Our appreciation has no bounds.
Louis W Mathews
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Lou,

We all felt very privileged to have the opportunity to honor your son, Terry, this way, and to represent so many others who wished to make the climb.

There were just nine of us in body, with Terry as our 10th, but there were many more alongside us in spirit - including you, your wife, your son, Tom, and the 14ers.com community - carrying us up the mountain, to say good-bye to our friend. Thanks to all for a very special day.

Susan
javy20040
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by javy20040 »

Terry,

My heart, my soul and my tears are with you now!

Some of us don't belong here, we just do our best to stay and be happy! I believe, now Terry is in a place where he belongs to!

Climbing mountains isn't something that you do, it's a part of you!
Look up at the Mountains, Terry was, is and "ALWAYS" will be there!

Cheers Terry!
You are a good man!
Rest in peace!

Lou and Terry's family, I'm deeply sorry for your lost. Terry is an awesome person. I said "is", because he'll ALWAYS be around me! He'll ALWAYS be around us!

Adios amigo, descansa en paz!
Javy
The Mountains, my passion!
The love of the mountains is in my heart, which spreads to the blood which I bleed.
The passion of climbing is in my skin, which is shed when I sweat.
Climbing mountains isn't something that you do; it's a part of you.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

susanjoypaul wrote:Lou,

We all felt very privileged to have the opportunity to honor your son, Terry, this way, and to represent so many others who wished to make the climb.

There were just nine of us in body, with Terry as our 10th, but there were many more alongside us in spirit - including you, your wife, your son, Tom, and the 14ers.com community - carrying us up the mountain, to say good-bye to our friend. Thanks to all for a very special day.

Susan
Here is the summit photo from yesterday that Susan referred to. Yes…it was a very special day indeed….on Terry's favorite mountain.
Attachments
9 Companions with Terry-Crestone Needle_Aug. 19, 2013
9 Companions with Terry-Crestone Needle_Aug. 19, 2013
DSC00887_edited.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

This photograph is priceless. I do understand and appreciate how everybody who made this journey both physically and spiritually felt privileged to go on this mission of love and respect. We will always feel that Terry has not departed, he is still with us in our hearts and minds. He is very near on a higher mountain that we all must climb someday. When you think of him remember his smile, enthusiasm, concern, and that habitual laugh when he spoke to someone he loved and respected. It is an honor and privilege to be a part of the 14ers and can in no way replace the absence of Terry posting on the site, but to share with everybody the positive aspects of Terry's life. From time to time a photo, story or recollection of Terry will be added to the Face Book page I created in his name. Feel free to post and share as well.
Louis W Mathews
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

globreal wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:Lou,

Susan
Here is the summit photo from yesterday that Susan referred to. Yes…it was a very special day indeed….on Terry's favorite mountain.

Nice work team!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Louis, it was a great day and a pleasure to meet you and your family.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
lakecityrat
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by lakecityrat »

What an honor to be able to join such an incredible group of people to say goodbye to such an incredible man. Thank you to all of you and to the Mathews family. I am truly humbled. Rest in peace, Terry.
"Life's been good to me so far" - JW